New tooling - BR Standard 2MT 2-6-0 2MT 78xxx

Graham_Muz

• Moderators

Have we become so utterly useless that we cannot take something out of the box to see if it just pops back in or is broken and then pack it back up again?

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Turnesc said:

I was hoping someone else might have come across this so if I need to send it back I don't actually have to unpack it.

Well,by coincidence, I’ve just performed the cliched “unboxing “ . Nothing fell off.Nothing is bent.The finish,lining and livery IMHO are prototypical .In fact,an accurate reminder of an encounter recently on the KWVR when the actual 78022 was riding shotgun to 60103 ( top & tail ). When first powering up on the track I had a momentary concern due to hesitancy and sluggish movement. Resolved when I discovered the foam packing cube between loco & tender. I thought Hornby no longer used those…wrong,in this case they still do. So,mea culpa and an admirable piece of kit. 

Stick the stack back.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Have we become so utterly useless that we cannot take something out of the box to see if it just pops back in or is broken and then pack it back up again?

The only reasons perhaps not to are arthritic hands and failing eyesight  ? I have both but it wouldn’t stop me trying.😒

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

For fans of slow speed control & shunting and the answer to dead frogs,this is the business. And this straight out of the box and not yet run in. I was impressed when I first saw EP’s over a year ago.I am not disappointed. Well,done,Hornby.

Good to see Hornby getting a thumbs up in this respect.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

The only reasons perhaps not to are arthritic hands and failing eyesight  ? I have both but it wouldn’t stop me trying.😒

And I just challenged both in attempting to shorten the coupling bar on 78022. Under the tender sits Satan’s screw next to Satan’s plug.This infuriatingly is not magnetically sensitive.Thus having  decoupled the bar and tender and deciding that in the shorter bar position,it wouldn’t work for me,I attempted to replace the bar to the original position. Not for the fainthearted and myopic arthritic  old men,such as I am. Without benefit of course of magnetic assistance. 30 minutes later,I eventually returned the model ….in one piece once more…..to assume new duties on the tabletop. This has IIRC been posted on this thread before but I’ll repeat it here. Do not expect ( I’m sure you don’t ) great haulage capacity. In prototypical life,this was very much a branch line ,go anywhere loco used to a couple or three coaches and light freight in some challenging rural areas.Hence mine is happy with a pair of Colletts and a Siphon G which is after a decent running in period. Think Stainmore Summit and the Cambrian lines in Mid & North Wales. A great little model.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Upon picking up my parcel I heard a rattle, oh no I thought. Turned out to be a front buffer, no big deal.

Only given it a quick test so far but very smooth running straight out of the box.

Is putting a piece of firm foam between the loco and tender a recent thing for Hornby?  Little odd there's no mention of it being there and to remove it before running on any form of curve.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Upon picking up my parcel I heard a rattle, oh no I thought. Turned out to be a front buffer, no big deal.

Only given it a quick test so far but very smooth running straight out of the box.

Is putting a piece of firm foam between the loco and tender a recent thing for Hornby?  Little odd there's no mention of it being there and to remove it before running on any form of curve.

No,. Usually the case for several years.But then their packaging changed. Now it seems they’ve gone retro.Witness the outer box  which has reverted to the format / size used a few years ago..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Same here, front right buffer was loose.

Very happy with it, here she is running in

78022.jpg.650dc5e4c672f23b6974ae395762e606.jpg

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 10

Not sure if I just got unlucky, running in on my rolling road I noticed it had a wobble. By moving the rollers around seemed to narrow it down to the middle axle, Initial thoughts were the quartering was out. With the loco upside down I tried it with a battery and no issue, solution, always run it upside down!

I jest. Decided to take a look properly so placed it in a foam cradle with a battery on a tender wheelset and heard a clicking. The pickup was catching on a small protrusion on the wheel centre. It was the gate where the plastic entered the wheel cavity in the mould rom the sprue which was catching  the pickup when the wheel was hard over to that side. Annoying that the quality control didn't pick it up so it has to be filed back by the end user.

Also a cylinder drain cock fell off as soon as I removed it from the packaging. Will email Hornby re these issues so hopefully they can learn for future.

Edit: I noticed after running in for an hour that the boiler was rather warmer than it should be. Nothing seemed amiss inside and it didn't look like the flywheel could rub inside the body like it did on some H classes. Anyone else found this?

Edited by Pre Grouping fan
Motor running warm.
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The issue of bits falling of new locomotives is a regular and annoying feature these days. Regardless of quality control failures in the factory/packaging, it seems probable that the desire for improved detail has gone too far, certainly for models that will be subjected to the harsh environment of the average model railway.

I must admit that whilst the standards of detail have reached a level unimaginable when my railway modelling began, I would happily countenance models that at least ‘look right’ without debating if the internal bore of the cylinder drain pipe work is correct. My old Triang 0-4-0 tank engine still performs well, and no bits have fallen off, and I have had that since the early 60’s.

Just my opinion, so don’t shoot the messenger.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Deeps said:

I would happily countenance models that at least ‘look right’ without debating if the internal bore of the cylinder drain pipe work is correct.

If it brought the RRP back down to 60 quid (adjusted for inflation since roughly 2010 which I think was when I bought the Bachmann Ivatt 2-6-0 for that price) I'd agree. But I bet it wouldn't. 

(£89 on the BoE Inflation Calculator if you were wondering. Not £189). 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Deeps said:

The issue of bits falling of new locomotives is a regular and annoying feature these days. Regardless of quality control failures in the factory/packaging, it seems probable that the desire for improved detail has gone too far, certainly for models that will be subjected to the harsh environment of the average model railway.

I must admit that whilst the standards of detail have reached a level unimaginable when my railway modelling began, I would happily countenance models that at least ‘look right’ without debating if the internal bore of the cylinder drain pipe work is correct. My old Triang 0-4-0 tank engine still performs well, and no bits have fallen off, and I have had that since the early 60’s.

Just my opinion, so don’t shoot the messenger.

Whilst most definitely not wishing to promote a 'blue box/red box' debate I must say that in terms of robustness my experience is that Bachmann are exceptional in the 00 rtr market for models arriving complete and being able to withstand what I consider reasonable handling. At least part of Bachmanns secret is leaving vulnerable parts like drain cocks for the buyer to fit. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

18 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

I despair of the need to cover yourself by writing instructions to utter morons, and of course of lawyers who pander to the pathologically incompetent.

• Agree 1

Having arrived yesterday, I unpacked my 2MT today, and am pleased to report nothing fell off or appears to be loose. There was however a 7mm screw lying loose in the box - I have not as yet looked to see where it may have come from?

IMG_1640.JPG

Edited by Bulleidboy100
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

Having arrived yesterday, I unpacked my 2MT today, and am pleased to report nothing fell off or appears to be loose. There was however a 7mm screw lying loose in the box - I have not as yet looked to see where it may have come from?

IMG_1640.JPG

Interesting that Hornby have added the electrification warning flashes to this preservation era livery  - I believe a requirement for loco's using the Keighley headshunt next to the electrified mainline.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

IMG_1640.JPG

Check the screw holding the front of the body is there as that was a long one. Accessed through the hole in the pony truck.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Whilst most definitely not wishing to promote a 'blue box/red box' debate I must say that in terms of robustness my experience is that Bachmann are exceptional in the 00 rtr market for models arriving complete and being able to withstand what I consider reasonable handling. At least part of Bachmanns secret is leaving vulnerable parts like drain cocks for the buyer to fit. 

That's an interesting point and your last sentence appears to be pertinent to the Std 2 particularly given the two that I have. My 78022 arrived yesterday and looks great and runs very nicely but unlike the standard releases (I have 78054) Hornby have pre-fitted the drain cocks to the Collectors club model which on mine (and in the photos in this thread of other peoples) have been bent by the blister packaging. Mine are quite firmly bent and so I am trying to think of a way to ease them straight without snapping them.

It's interesting that different releases of the same basic model have this slight difference. Perhaps there is an assumption that collectors club members won't be running their models...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Karl said:

That's an interesting point and your last sentence appears to be pertinent to the Std 2 particularly given the two that I have. My 78022 arrived yesterday and looks great and runs very nicely but unlike the standard releases (I have 78054) Hornby have pre-fitted the drain cocks to the Collectors club model which on mine (and in the photos in this thread of other peoples) have been bent by the blister packaging. Mine are quite firmly bent and so I am trying to think of a way to ease them straight without snapping them.

It's interesting that different releases of the same basic model have this slight difference. Perhaps there is an assumption that collectors club members won't be running their models...

Unfortunately Hornby plastic draincocks are quite delicate in my experience and once bent don't unbend without breaking. LMS ones are quite easy to handmake out of brass wire, those on a BR Standard look a tad more complicated. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 04/12/2023 at 13:51, cctransuk said:

If in doubt - send it back! (Though how difficult can it be to refix a funnel)?

CJI.

I got a bit fed up with faulty models and thought that I should start sending them back. In one case, I returned the model twice and in each case it was returned with parts broken, sometimes repaired in an amateurish way such that they broke in transit. If you can fix something easily, it’s probably better to do that than risk the post or clusmsy handling and packing. Of course, if you are fortunate enough to have a model shop reasonably close, that’s ideal.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

I got a bit fed up with faulty models and thought that I should start sending them back. In one case, I returned the model twice and in each case it was returned with parts broken, sometimes repaired in an amateurish way such that they broke in transit. If you can fix something easily, it’s probably better to do that than risk the post or clusmsy handling and packing. Of course, if you are fortunate enough to have a model shop reasonably close, that’s ideal.

I agree with the principle, however the issue is that it takes me longer to organise a return and to take it to a drop off point than it does to fix it!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Are we expected to fix our new £200 TVs and phones as well? 

Then why are we expected to fix models that cost a similar amount.....

Jason

I don't think that anyone is EXPECTING purchasers to fix defects - it's just that some purchasers choose to do so, as they perceive this to be easier than returning the defective item.

CJI.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7