Hunslet 16" 0-6-0 Saddle Tank - 00 Gauge

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold

My 'Jacks Green' arrived from Kernow Models today. Excellent service as ever.

The Rapido team have done a cracking job capturing the lines of these locomotives.  

Jacks Green Nassington

Jacks Green Nassington

I am really pleased with it.

Jacks Green Nassington

It certainly captures the prototype nicely and I await the arrival of 'Ring Haw' from Hardys Hobbies for completion of the Nassington Quarry duo.

Jacks Green Nassington

Another thing I really like about the model is its overall presentation.

On opening the box you are greeted with a well made model with a perfect finish.

However it gives those who want to lift them to another level, scope of some modelling time too.

Etched name/works plates from Narrow Planet and weathering will lift these models to an higher level.

Great stuff from Rapido, well recommended and good value.

Cheers,

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1

One little tip after opening my box this morning.  The intruction book tells you how to unclip the tank from the loco to fit the decoder, but doen't mention the handrail up the left hadside of the loco to the dome. I wan't particularly taking enough care, and when I prised the tank up off the loco the handrail disappeared, and I thought it had pinged off into the carpet.  It didn't.  Mine remained sort of hooked behind the mechanical lubricator, but you may wish to use a little common sense and remove the handrail first before taking the tanks off..

The other point is referred to in the handbook index as page 3 "fitting the polybag parts".  It is actually on page 4 and says that some Hunslets had extra steps (such as Holly Bank No 3)  and the extra steps in the polybag can be affixed using glue.  On my loco (Holly Bank No 3) there wasn't a polybag in the box - because the steps were factory fitted anyway. A nice touch Rapido.

Just need  to run in then fit a decoder.  Thanks very much Rapido.  You next challenge is "Topham" W G Bagnall Works No 2193 Topham 0-6-0ST – Preserved British Steam Locomotives

image.png.90a6c80a6d48102bc8809d4c3f2e0878.png

• Like 3

Morning all, received my first Hunslet yesterday and I have to say I'm over the moon with it. These are my favourite type of locos so a big well done to Rapido from me - not only for making the model but for doing such a good job of it too. (Not that I had any doubt!)

I've just finished putting together a little video showing it off...

For reference:

Close ups of the model start at 02:35

There's a rolling road test at 07:33

And proper running on my shunting layout at 09:32

Just need to wait for my sound ones to arrive now 😁

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

It's very heavy and contains a lot more metal than the average tank loco from other makers.  Feels high quality.

Now, the controversial bit...I decided to ignore the advice about not running it with the Gaugemaster HF2 track cleaner.  It is running beautifully with no unexpected noises, heat or smells.  I did a bit of research and people have been using coreless motors on these devices for years with no issues, so it seems to be a "belt and braces" kind of warning.  I'll take the risk of it reducing ultimate motor life.  Anyway, I try these things so you don't have to 🙂

Edited by rogerzilla
  • Informative/Useful 1

"Arthur" just landed here, about fourteen months after the "Darfield No.1" and Works plates from Narrow Planet. It's running in time 😃

Hoping one way or another eventually it'll look like this. Grew up looking down into Low Valley, though will have been about two or three when No.1 moved out. 

Been a long time coming but well worth the wait.

NCB Darfield No.1 800p.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Covkid said:

The intruction book tells you how to unclip the tank from the loco to fit the decoder, but doen't mention the handrail up the left hadside of the loco to the dome.

Just need  to run in then fit a decoder.  Thanks very much Rapido.  You next challenge is "Topham" W G Bagnall Works No 2193 Topham 0-6-0ST – Preserved British Steam Locomotives

image.png.90a6c80a6d48102bc8809d4c3f2e0878.png

In it's original compressed-air form? (duuuh wrong loco)

The vertical pipe is a feed from the lubricator to the safety valves 😀

Edited by RapidoCorbs
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, RapidoCorbs said:

In it's original compressed-air form? 😜

The vertical pipe is a feed from the lubricator to the safety valves 😀

I thought Topham was a conventional OC steam loco ?

Wow.  you learn something every day.

1 hour ago, Covkid said:

I thought Topham was a conventional OC steam loco ?

Wow.  you learn something every day.

It was. A big brute of a thing with outside cylinders and Walschaerts  valve gear Are you thinking instead of Stagshaw,  @RapidoCorbs That wasn't compressed air, but was compressed steam and was a Hawthorn, Leslie and not a Bagnall, but it did have six wheels and a saddletank after rebuild! 😄

Edited by Ruston
  • Agree 1

My Ring Haw is hopefully with Hardy’s and my pair of DCC Jack’s Green’s are in the pending pile so reading all the great things about this model from the folks who now have theirs is irritating to say the least! 😡

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, 46444 said:

My 'Jacks Green' arrived from Kernow Models today. Excellent service as ever.

The Rapido team have done a cracking job capturing the lines of these locomotives.  

Jacks Green Nassington

Jacks Green Nassington

I am really pleased with it.

Jacks Green Nassington

It certainly captures the prototype nicely and I await the arrival of 'Ring Haw' from Hardys Hobbies for completion of the Nassington Quarry duo.

Jacks Green Nassington

weathering will lift these models to an higher level.

Great stuff from Rapido, well recommended and good value.

That bodes well for their 15xx then @46444

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

That bodes well for their 15xx then @46444

It certainly does Robin. 

The box it comes in the is isn't the size of an house either like with the Model Rail/Rapido 16xx. It is all very nicely presented.

This Hunslet is a very well made model Like you say it certainly bodes well for the forthcoming 15xx.

One which I have on order as you would expect.

Cheers,

Mark 

If only Rapido could revisit both the 14xx and 1361/1366 Classes...

There's a thought!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, RANGERS said:

My Ring Haw is hopefully with Hardy’s and my pair of DCC Jack’s Green’s are in the pending pile so reading all the great things about this model from the folks who now have theirs is irritating to say the least! 😡

It will be worth the wait Rangers.. 

You won't be disappointed....

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ruston said:

It was. A big brute of a thing with outside cylinders and Walschaerts  valve gear Are you thinking instead of Stagshaw,  @RapidoCorbs That wasn't compressed air, but was compressed steam and was a Hawthorn, Leslie and not a Bagnall, but it did have six wheels and a saddletank after rebuild! 😄

D'oh! I did indeed have them mixed up. Just as well we aren't doing either 😄 I think that Topham being the only one of its type was what confused me.

My excuse is I've been staring at [REDACTED] all week so my mind isn't in the industrial zone....

Edited by RapidoCorbs

4 hours ago, Ruston said:

and still does, though it isn't yellow any more...467072932_StagshawatShottonworking1.jpg.bea9ac5051cd032d2e17dd45638f4112.jpg

Stagshaw-t2007.jpg.4e37febcb67ebe5fd3fd1ea6b33eaef2.jpg

Pictures taken in the early seventies and 2007.

A lovely little engine, smaller than the 16" Hunslets and just ripe for Rapido or Planet to consider as their next industrial.....

Les

Edited by Les1952
extra thoughts
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

and still does, though it isn't yellow any more...467072932_StagshawatShottonworking1.jpg.bea9ac5051cd032d2e17dd45638f4112.jpg

Stagshaw-t2007.jpg.4e37febcb67ebe5fd3fd1ea6b33eaef2.jpg

Pictures taken in the early seventies and 2007.

A lovely little engine, smaller than the 16" Hunslets and just ripe for Rapido or Planet to consider as their next industrial.....

Les

Bit late in the game for considering for the next industrial… there are several already well considered 😉

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

I have Holly bank on the way but was tempted by Arthur at the Southampton show today and well . . . 😁

Thought a comparison with the Pi Victory would be interesting,

2D386A32-8A98-463B-B43B-890E853AE3F0.jpeg.3586642724c6d6701cc37980030ae790.jpeg

B8500B2B-2E74-4092-9B7E-EC9DC56E2EF5.jpeg.df060737529063a4a510f6910b170f18.jpeg

I wish people would stop publishing pictures like those.

My credit card is getting nervous........😄

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

In the first specifications the original concept was to have a fully geared chassis. The chassis design has changed and isn’t fully geared, it’s a more traditional gear tower type design.

I’ve had the time to run my ‘Jacks Green’ in and have given it a good testing over a 4% gradient and it’s one of the best running chassis’ I’ve seen in a long time.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, PMP said:

In the first specifications the original concept was to have a fully geared chassis. The chassis design has changed and isn’t fully geared, it’s a more traditional gear tower type design.

I’ve had the time to run my ‘Jacks Green’ in and have given it a good testing over a 4% gradient and it’s one of the best running chassis’ I’ve seen in a long time.

Thanks for clarifying the chassis make up, Paul. I must admit I am somewhat averse to fully geared chassis after the horse's arse that Distinctly Jittery Mechanisms inflicted upon us. 

Rob. 

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

97A333BF-EC70-48DB-80EC-3A0307101659.jpeg.f65281cb76e97c80604254c24635db99.jpeg

Very impressed with the running, both Victory & Arthur perform very well down to a crawl. It strikes me my modular musings in three other themes could be quite successful with the range of industrials now appearing. Imagine a loco shed board, colliery, exchange sidings and even coal drops to ships with lines snaking between and these snorting away on 20 wagon trains . . .

or Ironstone like the Eastwell layouts . . .

https://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/layout_eastwell.html

https://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/layout_eastwell.html

Or the Manchester Ship Canal system . .

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm awaiting one of the pretty red ones.

The question I have is (and hopefully I'll be able to answer it myself tomorrow) - can you take the body off cleanly from the chassis, or is it like that abomination of a design that is the 16XX?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Thanks for clarifying the chassis make up, Paul. I must admit I am somewhat averse to fully geared chassis after the horse's arse that Distinctly Jittery Mechanisms inflicted upon us. 

Rob. 

I’m of a similar opinion Rob. The DJM design/manufacturing wasn’t good on the J94. The concept is used in N chassis’ and European HO so it can work.

AF18551F-100D-456E-82F2-A9E363545E97.jpeg.8964bc5b228e84068d30ee4173353eb0.jpeg

However this is a single driven axle (original spec suggested fully geared), and works beautifully. More of the same please @rapidoandy!

Edited by PMP
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday I received an email from Rails saying that mine had been posted. I really can't remember ordering one (which isn't the same as saying it isn't welcome). The money has gone out of my account and I note that AGW does appropriate wheels for P4. All of which is good; pleased.

• Like 2

I blummin' love mine; it is by far the cutest loco I have. As far as I can tell it is a model of an engine built while my grandad worked there, and (I discovered recently) it worked very close to where I lived for a while. It looks fantastic and I'm dead chuffed with it.

I had a spot of bother to start with as it is not tolerant of even slight kinks in the track; I had a couple of flexitrack joins on bends which had slight kinks in them that nothing else cared about but this does. The axles have a bit of side to side play but the coupling rods are quite rigid and don't have any play, so tend to hold the wheels in line strongly, so even if there's play on the axle left to take up bends in the track the coupling rod can pop the wheel off the track anyway.

A bit of violence with some pliers to bend the ends of the rails into a smoother curve and it's fine now though.

This was the first loco I ordered since getting back into the hobby after a break of nearly 30 years so getting one with a few family connections does feel a bit special, and the model has not disappointed.

IMG_20230128_232050~2.jpg

Edited by Phil Himsworth
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone have a tried method of removing Rapido letting so I can take the NCB off mine that’s on the way? I like mine to be a bit more anonymous 😉

Arthur runs superbly and all these industrials need a home.