WR ‘15XX’ 0-6-0PT - 00 Gauge

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold

Are the sound fitted versions factory fitted with stay alive? Thinking with such a short wheelbase it’s going to be an issue and a tricky job for the hamfisted amongst us in a small loco.  Apologies if this has been mentioned up thread but I can’t see answer either here or on the Rapido website. 

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Are the sound fitted versions factory fitted with stay alive? Thinking with such a short wheelbase it’s going to be an issue and a tricky job for the hamfisted amongst us in a small loco.  Apologies if this has been mentioned up thread but I can’t see answer either here or on the Rapido website. 

Hasn't been mentioned and unfortunately Rapido's track record of including suitable solder pads for stay alive on their Next18 fitted models suggests it won't be a simple addition.

Thankfully more decoders now have the ability to directly connect to stay alives instead of sticking strictly to the Next18 spec and requiring the connections to be made on the PCB side.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/06/2023 at 12:30, sjrixon said:

Was just thinking the same.. I don't normally get dragged into what if.. But I'm tempted.. (I honestly wonder how many they will sell)

In some respects it doesn't matter how many they sell as long as it more or less equates to the number they order from the factory and they cover any additional costs they've incurred in doing that livery.   And the same goes for any of the livery variants but pre-orders will have given Rapido the lead on the numbers.

• Like 1

Yet another thread on a new model I've somehow completely missed, (three so far in as many days!) but what a fantastic model it is. I'm sure a lot of my ex-colleagues over in the Old Oak facebook group will be buying at least one example, as they cut their teeth firing and driving the real things day in, day out on the 'ups and downs' in and out of Padd. It seems very reasonably priced too.

My other half's late father took this shot at Padd c.1960, what a beast...

15xx1506Paddington.jpg.0256d3ec2c71f16d9ec4a68a670b7e40.jpg

Edited to add : with all the new high quality / recent GWR / WR releases in 4mm and 7mm, my head is about to explode!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold
On 01/12/2020 at 13:23, 5050 said:

I'm tempted, sorely tempted, really tempted etc. etc......................................

How will it be for conversion to P4 and EM?  Plenty of room between the valve gear and crossheads for instance?  1/8" axles?  Drop out wheelsets?

On 01/12/2020 at 14:59, Steamport Southport said:

It was just that I noticed in the other Hunslet thread the "coreless" and "EM/P4" questions were already being asked.

An etched chassis is an alternative if people really want to keep the body. People have been replacing RTR chassis for years.

I hardly dare ask this at this stage, but is the model so designed, that the body can simply be unscrewed from the chassis and a substitute chassis (to EM or P4, I mean) be substituted?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I hardly dare ask this at this stage, but is the model so designed, that the body can simply be unscrewed from the chassis and a substitute chassis (to EM or P4, I mean) be substituted?

I think the axles are 2mm diameter in the middle but the ends (where they fit into the wheels) are slightly smaller.

The bufferbeams and cab floor are integral with the chassis (due to not having a running board to speak of) but I believe the cab upper assembly and the tanks are separate.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 01/07/2023 at 10:46, Kaput said:

Hasn't been mentioned and unfortunately Rapido's track record of including suitable solder pads for stay alive on their Next18 fitted models suggests it won't be a simple addition.

Thankfully more decoders now have the ability to directly connect to stay alives instead of sticking strictly to the Next18 spec and requiring the connections to be made on the PCB side.

I've had it confirmed both via a pleasingly prompt reply to a contact form from the Rapido website and from a response to a FB post that these models do not  come factory fitted with Stay Alive - the reasons given being that the wheelbase length (50mm), the weight (315g) and the pick up design all indicate that it wont be required.  Personally - knowing how similarly short wheelbase locos perform on my p-way I'm now going to wait for the user reviews on here to come in before committing - if I miss out so be it as this is a nice to have rather than essential for my layout  setting in any case. 

Edited by MikeParkin65
Typos corrected
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
On 03/07/2023 at 13:08, MikeParkin65 said:

if I miss out so be it as this is a nice to have rather than essential for my layout  setting in any case. 

You don't have to miss out. You could buy one, and hang on to it until you know it is all right. If it's not then it should be a simple matter to sell it to one of those that did miss out, while turning a huge small profit at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looking good.

It's going to get expensive soon with the imminent arrival of these, Thunderbolt, Railmotor and Manors. I will be waiting by the letter box to intercept the credit card statement at this rate.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Got 1501 on order from Kernow - but am kind of hoping they don’t get sent out yet. I’m running out of money and can’t afford it until end of September :)

judging by the rough six week timeframe given I think I’ll be alright, but I’ve got two P2s, a leader and a railmotor all paid for and awaiting delivery myself, so its safe to say that it was expensive for me recently :) 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/07/2023 at 11:14, The Stationmaster said:

Mine will have to get a South Wales identity - just to keep me on my toes.

Fortunately a few got to Wolverhampton Works for attention. It was common for Oxley or Stafford Road to use 'foreign' pannier tanks on local trip workings for a few days before returning to their home depot. A 15xx was even photographed on a passenger working at Worcester.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...