Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby 2021 - Ruston & Hornsby 88DS

AY Mod

• 3 weeks later...

I must say, I’d have preferred it in plain green with wasp stripes but I’m happy to accept the Ruston dodgy lining out as built 😀

I still haven’t worked out the rule 1 reason for buying this for my WR/LMR or thereabouts location - other than I love the model and am impressed by how well modern Hornby locos run -  I guess it can sit with the PWM and Wickham trolley in some siding or other perhaps borrowed en route to Birds scrapyard or similar!! 😵‍💫 such things weren’t entirely unheard of in the 60s (although not exactly this) - having literally stumbled unexpectedly across D8572, D5908 at Bescot and E26014 at Soho amongst other heart stopping moments as an impressionable teenage rail enthusiast. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ruston said:

DSCF0792.JPG.c84ad7aad870f3f69a2db897b03bef20.JPG

It won't stay looking like that for long. I'll have that BR lettering, numbering and crest off for a start!

I never thought for one moment that you'd leave it alone!

However losing the crest is probably just as well since, according to the photos I have in front of me (MLI 222 page 11) Hornby have printed this back-to-front (right-facing late crests did exist, so I had to check, but only briefly and were an incorrect application).

Other than that it looks very smart. Even if the bufferbeams look like they've been dipped in tomato sauce......which makes a change from custard I suppose 😉!

Edited by Halvarras
Added 'late'

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Halvarras said:

...... Hornby have printed this back-to-front (right-facing late crests did exist, so I had to check, but only briefly and were an incorrect application).

If they HAD to make this mistake, they could at least have done so on the opposite side, so that it faces forward! It'll be the very devil to correct, as it overlaps the cabside lining.

How do these b*lls-ups occur - does no-one check? If it's the factory's fault - send 'em back and demand correct replacements!

CJI.

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

If they HAD to make this mistake, they could at least have done so on the opposite side, so that it faces forward! It'll be the very devil to correct, as it overlaps the cabside lining.

How do these b*lls-ups occur - does no-one check? If it's the factory's fault - send 'em back and demand correct replacements!

CJI.

It's not the factory at fault. They were shown like that in the original renderings, which also showed it with the front of the bonnet being painted black and with the side weights of the 20-ton version. I'm sure I mentioned these two things on here and those faults didn't make it to the finished model, so perhaps Hornby do read these comments? I never noticed the crests and I'm not sure anyone else here mentioned it either. Then again it's not our job to do their research for them! I had assumed that Hornby employ someone to do all this stuff; I certainly know that they did but he left for better things a number of years ago and so it's probably the office cat that does it now.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

Looking back at the decoration sample we had every reason to expect that this had been corrected:

image.png.f6570ea61f95ac7012346adfb2014f0f.png

So it's likely that Hornby themselves were disappointed at this upon opening the boxes containing the first production batch - assuming they even noticed it.......some of us have been dealing with BR liveries for enough decades to spot a right-facing emblem straightaway, it just looks wrong (same with the double-arrow logo). I find some transfer sheets disappointing as the ratio of left- to right-facing emblems provided doesn't match reality, so the correct ones run out leaving a lot of unused incorrect ones (reminder - this only applies to the late emblem, not the early crest).

It appears that the emblem on the other side of the model is correctly facing left, so both face backwards - as @cctransuk says it would have been more acceptable if they'd both faced forwards, i.e. the wrong one was on the other side, since this was seen on some early-production BR locos.

Some years ago - around 15 I think - I took exception to Heljan's too-dark rendering of the lion & wheel in the emblems on a Class 47 (D1734 - renumbered to a longer-lived example....!) so erased just these features inside the circle and replaced them with those cut out of waterslide transfers. I was very pleased with the result but it's not something my eyesight is up to these days! Nevertheless I thought I'd mention this possible correction for those with younger eyes and bothered about it on this model.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Pre-ordered in 2021, cancelled IIRC by Hattons and then re-pre-ordered from TMC. I would still like this version for nostalgic reasons of passing the Rowntrees railway facility regularly during my time living near and then in York in the 1970s and 80s; one of these days it might actually turn up - https://uk.Hornby.com/products/rowntree-co-ruston-hornsby-88ds-0-4-0-no-3-era-6-r3895

Update (26 Feb) - invoiced today and now paid for, one week over three years since the second pre-order was placed!

Edited by john new
Update added.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, john new said:

Pre-ordered in 2021, cancelled IIRC by Hattons and then re-pre-ordered from TMC. I would still like this version for nostalgic reasons of passing the Rowntrees railway facility regularly during my time living near and then in York in the 1970s and 80s; one of these days it might actually turn up - https://uk.Hornby.com/products/rowntree-co-ruston-hornsby-88ds-0-4-0-no-3-era-6-r3895

Expected in the shops anytime now I believe 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Ordered my No 84 from Monk Bar Model Shop last year whilst we were staying nearby visiting for the weekend of the York show. Just had a call saying its in and will be posted out to me today. Can't think of any shop more appropriate to buy this model from :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

My No 84 arrived well packed from Monk Bar this morning. Delightful little thing. Must report that initially the motor whirred away without motion. As per earlier comments this is a simple fix, body off then gentle pressure on the motor bracket at the cab end results in the motor 'clicking' home and the worm re engaging. Now had it running in for an hour in each direction without issue - very smooth.

PS - watch the wire representing the sanders doesnt go awol - mine was very lightly glued and fell off as soon as the body was released. Good job I was employing my trusty white tray!

Edited by MikeParkin65
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Already got those!

And here's the real one used for the advert which was an LMS van on the K&ESR rather that a H&BR van.

spacer.png

https://www.geograph.ie/photo/2338976

https://kesr.org.uk/our-heritage/wagons-vans/

Jason

I hadn't seen that one before- I remember one shot on the NYMR with a red class 24 and KitKat branded van train, kitkat sleepers, and the driver leaning on the loco taking a break as there was a single leaf on the line :)

I'm collecting my Rowntrees shunter on Sat, wanted one since a visit to the Derwent Valley a few years back, with theirs on a very modellable short passenger train :)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Darius43 said:

As a newly retired Civil Engineer, I couldn’t resist this one.

Cheers

Darius

Same reason I got one! Picked up today from Great Eastern Models, Did they ever have one in Redbridge PW Depot I wonder?

• Like 2

Mine has arrived as well, and now run in. It’s a delightful model and very smooth runner down to a crawl. Pity about the right facing BR crest - I’m not sure I’m going to bother to try and rectify it - it’s only visible at close quarters!! Excellent packaging and delivery by Hornby as well. 

IMG_5525.jpeg.3241b3a1269cfd1b2d6a10f498850f2c.jpeg

IMG_5529.jpeg.0f25732598456aa9b466e370af08a579.jpeg

Edited by MidlandRed
  • Like 3