Hornby 2021 - P2 new tooling

AY Mod

46 minutes ago, reddragon said:

Wasn't the P2 2007 due this month? Still says that in many places!

It's a funny one. Hornby's website says Spring 2022 and they do seem to keep the ETAs up to date, but as @Hilux5972 says, it's only last month they showed us unfinished samples so it is doubtful unless they have had hold of them a while. Note the LNER Azuma was only shown off decorated about a month before it turned up.

• Agree 1

The latest issue of Hornby Magazine reports in their summary of all confirmed models from all manufacturers that the steam generator fitted version of 2007 Prince of Wales is due in November. All other P2 models don’t currently have a confirmed release date according to the article.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

So given the current issues in China with Covid do we know which factory these are being made in? Also I noted that the Earl Marischal model only had single smoke deflectors in the latest example - I`m hope that is what will be delivered  - some time in the future 😀 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Rshakes3 said:

So given the current issues in China with Covid do we know which factory these are being made in? Also I noted that the Earl Marischal model only had single smoke deflectors in the latest example - I`m hope that is what will be delivered  - some time in the future 😀 

The CAD has the extra smoke deflectors. 

8C4E6299-015A-4B4C-B7DC-7A3FC5D5F399.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, lochlongside said:

Just been checking a future P2 delivery on Hornby website - it appears all the P2s (R3983/4/5) have been slipped to Summer 2023 - is this recent??

Yes. The site was updated 2-3 weeks ago. Along with the majority of this years releases. I think Hornby should date their catalogue as 2022-2023 and next year 2023-2024. :P 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I saw on Instagram that livery samples of both Lord President and an as yet unannounced Thane of Fife (for 2023) were at Warley, the latter with single chimney. They do look very good, 

Is there any information when both got their double blastpipes?

• RMweb Premium

If I am looking at the same pictures the locos look very nice.

The tenders however look like the type for 2001 and 2002.  2003-2006 had different tenders. These should both have the streamlined non corridor tenders, with the curved front fairing and no beads along the top of the side sheets. Those photos show both locos with tenders without the curved fairing at the front. Hopefully they will put that right for the production models. They have the tooling already as it is behind several of their A4s. 

Ironically their model of 60501 (rebuilt from 2001) does have the curved fairing at the front of the tender and it shouldn’t. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, micklner said:

2001 had a unique Tender, a different size than any other version .

Is the one from Hornby's 2001 correct? (I really should pay more attention to tenders!!)

Got to say the ‘Lord President’ on the Hornby stand at the weekend had me seriously considering getting another one of these beauties on order. Already got 2007 in the pipeline.

32-F4-D358-DE11-4-EA6-AC28-96-A5-D703-C5

phone pic I’m afraid, but I think it still shows that this will be a most impressive model

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Johan DC said:

I saw on Instagram that livery samples of both Lord President and an as yet unannounced Thane of Fife (for 2023) were at Warley, the latter with single chimney. They do look very good, 

Is there any information when both got their double blastpipes?

All P2s except 2005 were built with double chimneys. 2005, as a P2, always had a single chimney, only gaining a double chimney when rebuilt as an A2/2.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, toby_tl10 said:

All P2s except 2005 were built with double chimneys. 2005, as a P2, always had a single chimney, only gaining a double chimney when rebuilt as an A2/2.

I've often wondered why it got a single blastpipe. Was questions being asked about the benefits of the double? (again!)

Paul. 

14 minutes ago, Edge said:

Got to say the ‘Lord President’ on the Hornby stand at the weekend had me seriously considering getting another one of these beauties on order. Already got 2007 in the pipeline.

32-F4-D358-DE11-4-EA6-AC28-96-A5-D703-C5

phone pic I’m afraid, but I think it still shows that this will be a most impressive model

The HD Sir Gresley is looking good.

Would the grey cast loco at the bottom of this picture be LMS Turbomotive by any chance?

1 hour ago, Johan DC said:

Is the one from Hornby's 2001 correct? (I really should pay more attention to tenders!!)

Yes it is , its slightly smaller than the "normal" ones. Strange Hornby logic, a Railroad model but payput for new tooling for a one off model !!

Bizarre !!

Edited by micklner
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

43 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

The HD Sir Gresley is looking good.

Would the grey cast loco at the bottom of this picture be LMS Turbomotive by any chance?

It would. They had two EPs on display (with and without deflectors). I’m going to post them in the Turbomotive thread (I think there is one?) in a couple of minutes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

Is this variant due for release as well? 

https://d63oxfkn1m8sf.cloudfront.net/3000x1876/jpg/6816/4484/7389/r3984_1.webp%3Ffit%3D1

Artwork of R3984, showing 2002 without extra smoke deflectors.

Fine details have been added to all parts of the model, including inside the cab, along the running board and on the valve gear. Another feature that has been asked about is the secondary smoke deflectors as fitted to 2002 ‘Earl Marischal’ and yes, these have been tooled and will be added to that model. While we do not have a physical sample of that with us in Margate at the moment, I thought I would treat you to a CAD shot.

Quote from Hornby Engine Shed, 29 July.

Perhaps the variant with extra smoke deflectors will be announced in the 2023 range, same as the single chimney 2005.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, micklner said:

2001 had a unique Tender, a different size than any other version .

Yes but RCTS says its one off welded one looked the same externally as the other new type non corridor tenders, as used behind Hornby’s A3s. 

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, toby_tl10 said:

https://d63oxfkn1m8sf.cloudfront.net/3000x1876/jpg/6816/4484/7389/r3984_1.webp%3Ffit%3D1

Artwork of R3984, showing 2002 without extra smoke deflectors.

Quote from Hornby Engine Shed, 29 July.

Perhaps the variant with extra smoke deflectors will be announced in the 2023 range, same as the single chimney 2005.

The post you quoted literally said the extra smoke deflectors WILL be on the model. 

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Is this variant due for release as well? 

Yes it is. Prince of wales, Earl Marischal with extra smoke delflectors, and Lord President with Bugatti nose. 

F5E0233D-4C90-42D2-ACE9-95AF74EC1166.jpeg

Edited by Hilux5972
Added image

43 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

The post you quoted literally said the extra smoke deflectors WILL be on the model. 

"The model". The problem is we don't know how many there'd be. My guess is there'd be (at least) two 2002s. The one already announced without extra smoke deflectors, as per the published artwork (I expect them to update the artwork if that's not the case). The second one with extra smoke deflectors, yet to be announced.

This isn't the first time Hornby published CAD images without the corresponding products announced. They published CAD images for all 5 types of 9F tenders, while only announcing 3 variants.

I think it's a no brainer for Hornby. They easily have the ability to produce both variants of 2002, with and without extra smoke deflectors. Why make one when you can make two? Look at the number of W1s we have, and I'm only talking about the unnamed battleship grey ones (single chimney, double chimney, smoke lifting cowl).

Edited by toby_tl10
added paragraph
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, toby_tl10 said:

"The model". The problem is we don't know how many there'd be. My guess is there'd be (at least) two 2002s. The one already announced without extra smoke deflectors, as per the published artwork (I expect them to update the artwork if that's not the case). The second one with extra smoke deflectors, yet to be announced.

Hornby had stated that the one already announced WILL HAVE THE EXTRA DEFLECTORS. Read the engine shed post I posted properly. They may do the one without deflectors in the future but the currently announced one WILL have them. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1