Hornby 2021 - P2 new tooling

AY Mod

19 hours ago, AdamOrmorod said:

Another one here a little disappointed about the lack of smoke deflectors on 2002, think I'll hold off in the hope there's a future release with them.

I noticed 2002 has separately fitted nameplates while the other two do not, hopefully they all have them included in the detail bag.

I'm very unhappy about this too. Especially as Hornby.have promised on numerous occasions that it would have.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A bit late to complain about, I know, but was there really no way to represent the unique auto lubrication gear on 2007? While I can't find it, I have seen someone make a custom working one for a modified railroad p2 that was realistically durable enough for production. My guess is that it was considered, but scrapped due to tolerances not allowing for fine scale representation.

7um6u.PNG

36 minutes ago, scots region said:

I apologise, I should've expanded on this, does the running plate look like its warped to you? 

Both sections look straight to me. Which bit are you concerned about?

Note that the majority of the running plate above the wheels is metal, while the forward section is plastic. The join on the straight running plate versions looks a little disappointing to me in its finish

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, scots region said:

does the running plate look like its warped to you? 

On the right side of the cylinder it goes down a tiny bit before going upwards, might just be a error on the sample but we have to wait till we get the final product to judge.

38 minutes ago, Als Yard said:

A bit late to complain about, I know, but was there really no way to represent the unique auto lubrication gear on 2007? While I can't find it, I have seen someone make a custom working one for a modified railroad p2 that was realistically durable enough for production. My guess is that it was considered, but scrapped due to tolerances not allowing for fine scale representation.

7um6u.PNG

it just occurred to me that 2007 will presumably be fitted with a speedometer, which presumably will be driven from the rear coupled wheel also on that side. It looks like the crankpin has holes for it to attach to:

.Screenshot2023-07-30at18_17_28.png.469eb79a6daeb20ff28f003c2da2f120.png

Maybe when the real loco is finished we'll get some limited edition undercoat grey version, perhaps with some of the detail differences attended to.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Note that the majority of the running plate above the wheels is metal, while the forward section is plastic. The join on the straight running plate versions looks a little disappointing to me in its finish

There's actually a join on the railroad design clever versions, presumably at one stage they intended to use that tooling for the other locomotives.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, AdamOrmorod said:

Maybe when the real loco is finished we'll get some limited edition undercoat grey version, perhaps with some of the detail differences attended to.

Knowing Hornby likes to do re-releases more often then other manufactures, I'm going to hold on to my money for now, and wait for what will inevitably be some special release for when 2007 completes construction.

6 minutes ago, AdamOrmorod said:

it just occurred to me that 2007 will presumably be fitted with a speedometer, which presumably will be driven from the rear coupled wheel also on that side. It looks like the crankpin has holes for it to attach to:

.Screenshot2023-07-30at18_17_28.png.469eb79a6daeb20ff28f003c2da2f120.png

54 minutes ago, Als Yard said:

7um6u.PNG

Interesting, as whilst the responses to my question regarding the accuracy of the 2007 model given it wasn't finished yet was replied to with "they have been working with the A1Trust so should be", these points along with a comment in the aforementioned review regarding there being differences makes me wonder whether Hornby are doing the right thing sending 2007 out now. That said, I won't be cancelling the pre order so they probably are.

It will probably end up like the APT where they do another one in 2 years time that's improved!

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

It did look like there was a bit of a ski-jump effect, the join though has much improved from the engineering samples to my eyes. Hopefully I'm overreacting.

It's certainly interesting (perhaps a tad bit funny too) to go back to page 7 and read the exchanges between Hilux5972 and myself. Hornby have always shown the artwork of 2002 without extra smoke deflectors. It's not like Hornby tried to deceive customers with the artwork.

Yes, Hornby "promised" to add the smoke deflectors to the model, but not to the already announced variant apparently, as I figured out in Nov 2022. I don't think there is a need to be disappointed at all if you have managed your expectations correctly. And given Hornby have developed the variant with smoke deflectors as shown by the CAD images, there's a very high chance they're announcing it in the 2024 (or 2025) range. They promised it too, so it should be coming soon.

That aside, my eyes are on 2003, which is looking pretty amazing. My plan is to renumber it to 60992 to create a what-if so that it fits into my era (BR steam).

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Als Yard said:

7um6u.PNG

Is it sure it will be installed? On the technical drawing halfway down https://www.a1steam.com/prince-of-wales/home where it shows what's original, altered, Tornado etc. there is no mention of it. I haven't read all the Mikado Meseengers I have to add. 

Hornby have just confirmed on Facebook that this version of 2002 will be in as built condition. And that the design does cater for the additional smoke deflectors for a future release. Looking back at the previous engine shed blogs the samples coming through was always of 2002 without the smoke deflectors. Must admit I thought it was 2007. But at least 2002 will be released with the smoke deflectors in the future.

Regards 

Gary 

• Like 3

I must have had sixth sense! I cancelled my order for 2002 about four months ago on grounds of cost, but wanted and expected it to have the second set of smoke deflectors if Hornby's confusing CAD releases were anything to go by. Am I missing something or was the 'as built' release made clear enough by Hornby? Relieved and can't wait for the (more expensive?) version with two sets of deflectors. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, sirwilliamfrs said:

I must have had sixth sense! I cancelled my order for 2002 about four months ago on grounds of cost, but wanted and expected it to have the second set of smoke deflectors if Hornby's confusing CAD releases were anything to go by. Am I missing something or was the 'as built' release made clear enough by Hornby? Relieved and can't wait for the (more expensive?) version with two sets of deflectors. 

Looking back at my order for the P2 with hattons before they cancelled it back when was announced in 2021. It was listed as Earl Marischal" (original bodystyle). So I guess thats always been the plan for R3984. The engine shed blog showing the cad confused things slightly but it is what it is now. Some people will want both variations.

Gary

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Still no satisfactory conclusion to the ambiguity caused by Hornby. palmsticks posted this on 6th August 2022 on the forum topic "Hornby R3984 LNER P2 'Earl Marischal' - with or without smoke deflectors?" , from Hornby's Engine Shed blog:-

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/lner-p2-class-2-8-2-2002-earl-marischal-era-3-r3984

However, in their engineshed blog and various other press releases, they have produced CAD artwork which shows the engine with the later smoke deflectors and have stated:

"Another feature that has been asked about is the secondary smoke deflectors as fitted to 2002 ‘Earl Marischal’ and yes, these have been tooled and will be added to that model. While we do not have a physical sample of that with us in Margate at the moment, I thought I would treat you to a CAD shot."

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

After reading the Engine Shed post above, I e-mailed Hornby customer service and received an ambiguous "We have included the smoke deflectors, and these will be used in future releases as the smoke deflectors were an addition to the locomotive during its working life." I asked for clarity (in a detailing pack etc.?) and then got "...the locomotive will have factory fitted smoke deflectors." and a picture of Earl Marischal in as-built condition. I have since cancelled my order and will await the later version to be released.

Edited by MillerG
Photo removed as copyright
  • Like 1

Hi all just had a email from Hornby to update payment details as lord president has arrived at there warehouse for shipping 

Hour later same email for earl marischal 

Ben

Edited by benbrown
Extra info
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1