Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

At the weekened.

Saturday & Sunday are the weekend but Sunday is the first day of the week in some places. In others it is Monday

So do those that have Sunday as the first day of the week only have a one day weekend?🙁

28 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

So what day of the week do you usually get out of bed ?  😆

I live in a sunny part of France so I feel obliged to get out of bed in time for evening "aperos"!  Today it is 10.15 am and I am up and about but only because I want to play trains.... sorry, I meant "operate my model railway in a prototypical fashion".  I will check if the space I left in the loco shed for the Manor is still there!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if there has ever been a 4mm scale R-T-R loco more eagerly anticipated than this one and how many people will buy one, not because they 'need' a Manor for their roster or because it fits in with the prototypical theme of their model railway, but simply because the forthcoming model looks so very lovely and they just want to own one?

I must say that my resolve not to 'need' one is weakening.

• Like 6
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 5

23 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I wonder if there has ever been a 4mm scale R-T-R loco more eagerly anticipated than this one and how many people will buy one, not because they 'need' a Manor for their roster or because it fits in with the prototypical theme of their model railway, but simply because the forthcoming model looks so very lovely and they just want to own one?

I can only speak for myself but my reasons for buying one are:-

1 My layout is WR based so a late crest Manor will fit in fine. I did my trainspotting in the steam era in Exeter & Devon and as Erlestoke Manor was at one point shedded at Newton Abbot, it is appropriate on nostalgia grounds.

2 I am becoming a tad disenchanted with the "big" manufacturers of RTR steam locos (with the possible exception of Dapol) as I have found their locos to lack quality, have poor quality control and are overpriced.

3 Accurascale seem to be making an effort to buck the trend in 2 above.

4 What I am paying for a sound fitted Manor (complete with stay alive) seems to me a decent price in the current market for what appears to promise to be a decent model.

I will be making a video of Erlestoke Manor when it arrives and will be able to state if my hopes are realised.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

The Hornby Dublo 'Castle' seems to have been very keenly anticiapted and apparently they were difficult to find of you hadn't order one when they were first annoinced.  Obviously there was considerable demand as they didn't even come in a striped box but at least the engine and tender were in thesame box..

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Agree with this to an extent, but I do think the Dapol version getting to market a whole year before the Accurascale version might’ve sapped some of the demand for the latter.

I’ll admit I’ve a Dapol one, and so will only pick up a single Accurascale one, whereas I’d have probably have had a couple otherwise. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, McC said:

IMG_5268.jpeg

You are just teasing us now Steven.

I hope the fire is out before it boards the next British Airways flight from the far east 😎

When are you releasing the flight details, so we can all track the shipment? 🤣

5 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

Agree with this to an extent, but I do think the Dapol version getting to market a whole year before the Accurascale version might’ve sapped some of the demand for the latter.

I’ll admit I’ve a Dapol one, and so will only pick up a single Accurascale one, whereas I’d have probably have had a couple otherwise. 

I think Accurascale have scored by keeping interest alive - I chose against a Dapol one, on the basis that this one feels the better bet.

Time will tell.

• Like 3
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

Given the two potential sources, waiting an extra year was not a consideration for me.

CJI.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

I'm sure you'll be having a wartime black version from batch 2 @County of Yorkshire😇

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I know exactly where you're coming from. I don't as a rule model the Western or GE, but I've ordered Erlestoke Manor and the lovely J69 Liverpool St Pilot!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Likewise CK, I don't 'need' one but by golly I'm going to have one. Once again I've come late to a very long running thread about a new, high quality model and have spent the last hour or so skimming through, resulting in a very warm fuzzy feeling and another boost to the previously lacking modelling mojo. Well done Accurascale, it's a beauty and no mistake! Prompted by this thread I've just dived into the trusty old Bradford Barton photo albums once again and found a shot of 7814 at Marazion in 1949 in what looks like unlined BR black, there's definitely no GW style number on the buffer beam and it's wearing the newfangled smokebox number plate, so I'll be modelling this one sure enough. Can't tell if the name and numberplates are red or black though. I do like the plainer BR liveries worn by some of the company's products in BR days, especially with  some judicious weathering etc.

I've taken the liberty of decolourising a photo posted earlier (by gwrrob I think), picture this lovely model with etched plates, some real coal and appropriate weathering and Bob's yer uncle...

MOD78XXDSCN8511.thumb.JPG.27332aab5f35f5a77412daf935466707.jpg.12deb94d646afc59e0d4c2e693686bba.jpg

And some of my shots of 7802 and 7812 at the SVR way back in 2010...

000_1016A.jpg.9825875ae678b34aa043e64ad44c5113.jpg

100_4027A.jpg.cee915c3a885d9560bdbb531e5a1dbc5.jpg

100_4201A.jpg.7f44bf9e9d612cc7663c60ebd7a45e05.jpg

100_4208.jpg.28e12d7b67f39d933bb2114d96d8b93d.jpg

100_4310B.jpg.08a07ba72320b76135a41e52e5353b65.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I'm really looking forward to seeing a head-to-head Dapol vs Accurascale review, to see if my decision to hang on and not buy a Dapol example of Lydham Manor (in the hope that Accurascale a) will produce a model of Lydham, and b) it will be appreciable superior) was justified.

The pics from the other day are lovely, and I'll echo the previous comments about the matt black smokebox looking outstanding.

cheers

James

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Why would I buy one?

It fits in to my modelling era…. 1971/72 …. Oh yes it does! 7808 was at Ashchurch and used to head out on the main line to open days…. Often with an LMS liveried Stove R in tow containing coal and other requisites. Was a bit of a mongrel livery though before she got to Didcot… BR late crest on the tender, no front number plate and number on buffer beam GWR style …. And lined out! I think Didcot may have swapped the tender when she moved there in 74 but will got with the Accurascale as preserved at Didcot version in GW Shirtbutton.

I’m a shareholder in the Erlestoke Manor fund …  They are ideal locos for a preserved line running 6 - 8 coach trains.

The model looks superb…,

And one day we will build a Cambrian layout … that will need a few BR ones . Llandre perhaps. 

Cant see us sticking at one … wish we had one to take to run at GWSR diesel gala next weekend on the new layout…. 😉

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 2

I like to spread my money around, to encourage anyone who is clearly making a real effort to improve the quality and range of what is available to us. But equally over the years I have tried to reduce Rule 1 purchases to the absolute minimum. So my 2 Manors will be pretending to be 73xx Moguls until such time as someone, presumably Dapol, plugs that gap. And after that they will appear on 'specials'. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Lord Cooper said:

Hi all , just a quick question . Does the dcc ready versions come with an accurathrash speaker pre installed like the class 92 or do I need an em1 ?

Many thanks 

An accurathrash won’t fit in the Manor so it has two alternative speakers fitted as standard to all versions. 

Edited by McC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

27 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Rob,

Okay, will come clean on this. There was one photo we didn't share last week, and it's this one...

image(82).png.c2ca1310ae38cd483424485a419ee431.png

as you can see, the tunnel on the firemans side has been painted black instead of green, despite our artworks being correct. Thankfully it's something that is really easy to correct, and the factory are already sorting it, but have asked for 10 days to complete the work. We have okay'ed this, as it would be awful to put the models out there with incorrect paint like this.  An absolute pain, but we felt it was the right decision to take.

So, at the last hurdle, it has tripped, but will be bang on when they land. 

Once this is corrected all models will be packed up and shipped by air to the UK. They are coming in two batches one week apart. Batch one includes 7800, 7801, 7802, 7808 and 7812, with the remainder following on approx one week later.

July is the month of the Manor, which is the main thing. 

Cheers!

Fran 

Absolutely the right decision, Fran. Well done on catching it. I’m glad you check things carefully – certain others don’t seem to.

• Like 2
  • Agree 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1