Have your say with Rapido

rapidoandy

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

For all it's box shaped humbleness - the little steel mineral is quite a complex beast it is not - fitted / unfitted varying types of side door arrangements and different end door styles. ...

... not to mention rivets or welded construction - even bottom doors on some early ones ..........

• Agree 2

22 hours ago, peterfgf said:

I think Rapido only have to look at the models released by Hornby in the early 1960s (and Tri-ang).  As far as I can ascertain, all the Hornby models have been released in one form or another, except for:

• Prestwin (1 out of 10 to Bachmann for even considering it but negative points for dropping it).
  • Bogie blue ICI Caustic tank (not many in real life but I would love a model).
  • Bogie brick wagon "empty to Fletton?".
  • and last, but not least, a Conflat L with three lime containers (well done to Tri-ang).  I want a few for my Derbyshire-based layout.`

I think marketing savvy will realise that all the Hornby/Tri-ang models have been released and have sold well, and that there are a few people of a certain age will grab these models.

Here's hoping!

Peterfgf

I would certainly have three out of the four of those. An odd prestwin or two, two ICI / Murgatroyds bogie tanks, and three Conflat Ls with their dolomites containers. 

Three very worthwhile wagons to go with 21T hoppers both original and rebuilt, fitted and unfitted and the 24t iron ore hoppers.

Lotsa wagons for the 1950s-1970s modeller to go at. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Before I commit crimes against humanity by attempting to build a kit...

LSWR G6 please, long lived little tanker and lots of livery variations including departmental (wasn't there one at Meldon?).

Some nicely panelled LSWR corridor carriages (dia's. 139, 131, 282 & 21) and some nicely smooth ones too (Ironclads... please - I don't know their drawing numbers but for the love of god don't make me build them kits I have 😜).

PSX_20230704_201031.jpg.eefb56f002e0fb10fc12cd32392eb38d.jpg

Ah, time for a nap.

Edited by Tim Dubya
crimes against the English language
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

The only surviving Adams T3 locomotive number 563 will be entering service with the Swanage Railway upon final finishing, running in, and crew training this Autumn. The Swanage Railway Trust 563 Locomotive Group has released recent photos which I will attach here below.

This is going to be a hugely popular locomotive and well worthy of Rapido producing a OO model of the T3 class.

Could even obtain a sound file of it once in service.

4A76E666-C08C-4CDD-B038-7F7E14A69F4B.png

2EBD3186-CD20-4CD7-ADFA-6477FD472EF0.png

86B8D02E-6144-4DCF-A432-BE3F1081B690.png

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

6 hours ago, mvrnut said:

The only surviving Adams T3 locomotive number 563 will be entering service with the Swanage Railway upon final finishing, running in, and crew training this Autumn. The Swanage Railway Trust 563 Locomotive Group has released recent photos which I will attach here below.

This is going to be a hugely popular locomotive and well worthy of Rapido producing a OO model of the T3 class.

Could even obtain a sound file of it once in service.

4A76E666-C08C-4CDD-B038-7F7E14A69F4B.png

2EBD3186-CD20-4CD7-ADFA-6477FD472EF0.png

86B8D02E-6144-4DCF-A432-BE3F1081B690.png

That looks lovely. I can think of other manufacturers with good track (ha, ha) records which could make a good job of it.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's an etched brass kit though. Very nice but one reason I have for upscaling from 3mm scale is to enjoy some easy paths to running locomotives. Life's too short now for building everything.

Additionally, a potential livery option for a future batch of RCH open wagons:

https://www.ambaile.org.uk/asset/28679/

'D.Petrie - Inverness' No.71 which appears to be a 7 plank RCH design. Would make a good partner to the planned Aberfeldy wagon and, again, a certain Jones Goods.

(Can you all tell I'm currently on a Highland tangent?)

- James

• Like 1

I have take nthe liberty of copying this over from the Leyland National thread where RapidoAndy asked the question

What would I like you to produce ? Wow. Lets start with steel industry wagonry.  Iron ore hoppers of various kinds conveying stuff to steel works. At the start of their journeys they would be marshalled by Hunslet 16" 0-6-0s !!! There were many different kinds of hoppers but a really nice couple of versions of the "22T or 24T ironstone hopper which is basically an Airfix model from 30 years ago, maybe also with the BR "HJx or HKx".  These would also be used for coal, sand, sulphur and other commodities. 

The 21T BR (as opposed to LNER) hopper - original or rebodied, vac fitted or unfitted is another yawning gap in the RTR BR wagon fleet. 

A favourite which I would love to see RTR is the BR Coil K or T a short bogie coil carrier with tarpaulin hood, originally vacuum braked but dual braked in later life and actually painted into speedlink colours. They worked extensively in South Wales, but also conveyed coil to Swindon, as well as from Hamworthy docks.

Paul Bartlett's Photographs | BR Bogie slab strip Coil K & T Ferry I JTV JIX JKX BNX (zenfolio.com)

Paul Bartlett's Photographs | BR Bogie slab strip Coil K & T Ferry I JTV JIX JKX BNX (zenfolio.com)

These compact bogie wagons are real "space savers" and allow you to run more realistic trains. 

Well that is a start.  Regarding the 21T hoppers - I always thought Hornby would sharpen up their offering based on their new tooled (at that time)  Tope Rudd and Clam project chassis. After all, a Tope was a modified 21T hopper.  Sadly Hornby didn't seize the opportunity andleft the second hand market with the ages old 1970s era 21T hopper with awful "D" couplings and moulded and incorrect handrails. I guess modellers like me use a handful of the really nice "high handbrake" LNER 21 tonners as a substitute, but these vehicles were common everywhere from Westbury to Washington and Aintree to Ardingly.  In fact one particular train I remember was a Coton Hill - Ardingly worked by BR blue class 47s in the early 1980s.         

• Like 1

On 05/08/2023 at 15:43, Wickham Green too said:

In this case - with the axleboxes hidden - the buffers appeared to be 1923 type ................. but ........

With all due apologies - it IS a 1907 wagon after all ..... It's rather light for a 1923 and I can JUST see the top of wooden door bumpers !

and it has a date of 09 on the solebar. 

Paul

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Covkid said:

I have take nthe liberty of copying this over from the Leyland National thread where RapidoAndy asked the question

What would I like you to produce ? Wow. Lets start with steel industry wagonry.  Iron ore hoppers of various kinds conveying stuff to steel works. At the start of their journeys they would be marshalled by Hunslet 16" 0-6-0s !!! There were many different kinds of hoppers but a really nice couple of versions of the "22T or 24T ironstone hopper which is basically an Airfix model from 30 years ago, maybe also with the BR "HJx or HKx".  These would also be used for coal, sand, sulphur and other commodities. 

The 21T BR (as opposed to LNER) hopper - original or rebodied, vac fitted or unfitted is another yawning gap in the RTR BR wagon fleet. 

A favourite which I would love to see RTR is the BR Coil K or T a short bogie coil carrier with tarpaulin hood, originally vacuum braked but dual braked in later life and actually painted into speedlink colours. They worked extensively in South Wales, but also conveyed coil to Swindon, as well as from Hamworthy docks.

These compact bogie wagons are real "space savers" and allow you to run more realistic trains. 

Well that is a start.  Regarding the 21T hoppers - I always thought Hornby would sharpen up their offering based on their new tooled (at that time)  Tope Rudd and Clam project chassis. After all, a Tope was a modified 21T hopper.  Sadly Hornby didn't seize the opportunity andleft the second hand market with the ages old 1970s era 21T hopper with awful "D" couplings and moulded and incorrect handrails. I guess modellers like me use a handful of the really nice "high handbrake" LNER 21 tonners as a substitute, but these vehicles were common everywhere from Westbury to Washington and Aintree to Ardingly.  In fact one particular train I remember was a Coton Hill - Ardingly worked by BR blue class 47s in the early 1980s.         

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/coiltferry

Our group measured the T and the K

There is a problem in that with all these 60s, 66s, 68s etc. being produced the manufacturers think you all want contemporary rolling stock, not this ancient BR era stuff. 

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/coiltferry

Our group measured the T and the K

There is a problem in that with all these 60s, 66s, 68s etc. being produced the manufacturers think you all want contemporary rolling stock, not this ancient BR era stuff. 

Paul

It might be a problem to some Paul, but definitely not to me !!! 

Those type 5 diesels don't exist in my modelling world but I would appreciate Rapido offering the dual brake Coil carriers in dual brake condition and painted in flame red and black, for those who model the slightly more contemporary.  I suspect were hauled by any old large diesel, possibly the heavyweight 37/7s and 37/9s.  I am thinking the Hamworthy - Swindon was a heavyweight 37.  So all in all a nice little wagon with longevity for all BR modellers. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Covkid said:

It might be a problem to some Paul, but definitely not to me !!! 

Those type 5 diesels don't exist in my modelling world but I would appreciate Rapido offering the dual brake Coil carriers in dual brake condition and painted in flame red and black, for those who model the slightly more contemporary.  I suspect were hauled by any old large diesel, possibly the heavyweight 37/7s and 37/9s.  I am thinking the Hamworthy - Swindon was a heavyweight 37.  So all in all a nice little wagon with longevity for all BR modellers. 

I agree good longevity, but these would be historical models.

Even if they lasted until 2000 that is still a long time ago for the contemporary modeller. This was the last I saw, in 1998 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/coiltferry/ec8235498  A problem with most coil/slab carriers of the BR period is that they worked in very mixed rakes. Good for the modeller but difficult for the manufacturer's to reproduce; they want wagons that worked in block trains and for coils that came when this very mixed generation of BR Coil carriers, often rebuilds from others, came to an end. I had hoped that Bachmann would be able to convert their Warflat to Coil E and Coil G when I sold Merv the idea aeons ago. 

Paul

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

I agree good longevity, but these would be historical models.

Even if they lasted until 2000 that is still a long time ago for the contemporary modeller. This was the last I saw, in 1998 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/coiltferry/ec8235498  A problem with most coil/slab carriers of the BR period is that they worked in very mixed rakes. Good for the modeller but difficult for the manufacturer's to reproduce; they want wagons that worked in block trains and for coils that came when this very mixed generation of BR Coil carriers, often rebuilds from others, came to an end. I had hoped that Bachmann would be able to convert their Warflat to Coil E and Coil G when I sold Merv the idea aeons ago. 

Paul

Now you are really talking Paul !!!

Not got a warflat but if the deck was a separate moulding from the frame then I am sure a new "top" could be mated with the existing tooling for the underpinnings.

In a similar way could the existing tooling created for the 1907 RCH also be used for the coal box flats used on several operations.  My own is the Hollybank railway which conveyed coal in wooden boxes down the Short Heath wharf. I have intended to use Cambrian kits to provide the chassis, with scratchbuilt decks to carry the boxes, but if Rapido could produce these, it would be so much nicer.  Andy Y has already used this image in the Rapido threads but I won't apologise for another viewing !!

www.flickr.com/photos/geoffsimages/23822713978

• Like 1

The Hollybank operation was not the only one to use wooden coal boxes for transhipment to canals.  I suspect Andy Y knows more about rthis one but there was a transhipment of coal from the colliery railway onto canal in Hednesford. Not a great image but it shows a Coles crane lifting boxes from colliery flats and tipping them into a waiting canal narrow boat. The system here is different to that at Short Heath. There the Jones crane had two lifting bars - one to keep the doors closed and one to lift the box. 

lh3.googleusercontent.com/-UjAOuVEr55I/YG7CkrwRgZI/AAAAAAAAbEs/7-pAyGShHqgnsOTECGzjCOeN7qyL9MXzwCLcBGAsYHQ/hednesford%2B2.jpg

Edited by Covkid
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Covkid said:

Now you are really talking Paul !!!

Not got a warflat but if the deck was a separate moulding from the frame then I am sure a new "top" could be mated with the existing tooling for the underpinnings.

I've never seen a Bachy Warflat, but suspect they didn't model the framework open which is required for the Coils. All measured of course, but I don't believe any are available for the scanning that the manufacturer's prefer to relying on drawings. 

Paul

• Like 1

On 17/06/2023 at 20:40, peterfgf said:

I think Rapido only have to look at the models released by Hornby in the early 1960s (and Tri-ang).  As far as I can ascertain, all the Hornby models have been released in one form or another, except for:

Add to that list Trestrol.

Some research and clever tooling might enable the production of more than one of the joint LMS/LNER specially constructed vehicle designs using the six wheel bogie.

On 18/06/2023 at 14:19, phil gollin said:

Why does (nearly) everyone ignore the most numerous British Railways wagon - the humble 16 ton steel mineral wagon ?

Because Bachmann didn't ignore them, and offered a decent range of the common variations too? These flew off the shelves for several years after introduction, at a time when they could regularly be had for (look away now if price sensitive) circa £4.

• Agree 3