Have your say with Rapido

rapidoandy

3 hours ago, CUCKOO LINE said:

Bachmann already do the C class so 01 is a better bet and still one in existence.

I think "did" is the correct tense. The Bachmann website shows only an SR unlined black version.

I'd agree that an O1 is a more adventurous option, but personally I'd love to see a Cudworth 118 class 2-4-0. The mainstay of SER passenger services in the second half of the nineteenth century it would push pre-Group modelling back from the Edwardian period it is stuck in. And, unlike most RTR pre-Group is actually a contemporary of GWR Broad Gauge.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Businesses in the (relatively) early stages of growth really need to cut themselves slices of the various, more dependable, mainstream segments of the market before taking punts on prototypes that most of us have to Google in order to know of their existence.

Same goes for forays into "new" scales that have no trading record in UK outline.....

John

6 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Trouble is a Cudworth 118 - or anything else of that era  - would have absolutely nothing to run with and the market for any particular passenger or goods vehicle ( long before Common User, of course ) would be miniscule ........... unless you're happy with generic stuff.

Titfield Thunderbolt anyone?

I should point out that my personal fantasy is not presented as a serious proposal. Someone , I think it was the late Bernard Holland, once said that in railway modelling you can sell two of anything, the challenge is selling more than two.

The loco I did put on the form as a suggestion for Rapido was an On16.5 version of the Welshpool Beyer Peacocks. That would be interesting

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have suggested the SR U Class 2-6-0 as worth consideration on more than one occasion.

There were 50 of them (albeit 20 were rebuilt K Class) and no less than four of them are preserved!

The loco wheel base is the same for the U1 Class and W Class (albeit with smaller wheels) giving a further 36 options.

Please make a U-Boat before I draw my pension!

Glenn

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, mattingleycustom said:

I have suggested the SR U Class 2-6-0 as worth consideration on more than one occasion.

Hello Glenn

It has been in The Top 50 of The 00 Wishlist Poll since 2013 and was the overall top steam loco in 2022.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I think the time is right for a 00 model of the LSWR Adams T3, especially because the restoration of the only surviving example of this class of 20 locomotives is in the final stages of restoration to steam.

Hopefully we will see this in steam later this Summer and into Autumn on the Swanage railway.

All the best,

Chris

• Agree 1

USATC S160 - not been an OO version of this before.

Slightly jokingly:

- An HO A4 and/or A3. The A3 in HO has now been done, but an A4 hasn't. Steal a page of out Hornby's pacific book! Infact, you could even follow these up with HO LMS Coronation Class, Royal Scot, and a King Class. Most sales would be NAM, but there are a few odd British HO odd ducks around.

Now that Rapido has entered the Met space, I would love to see Rapido produce the iconic A and B classes built by Beyer Peacock. The 'A's were built from 1870 to John Fowler's specification, based on a machine supplied to a Spanish railway.  The As and Bs were for underground use and hence had a condensing apparatus and no cab, just a spectacle plate.  The 'B's were built to a similar design from 1879.  Cabs were fitted after 1895.  Originally, the locomotives were bright olive green lined in black and yellow. Chimneys were copper-capped. The locos were later painted red.

What makes these locomotives suitable for production as an RTR model in 00 is that many were sold to or built for other railways, including the London and South Western, The London and North Western, The Great Western, the Midland, the Nidd Valley Railway, The South Eastern Railway and the Pelaw Main Colliery, plus several European Railways.  A tender version was built in Australia and a model has been commissioned by a retailer in H0, which is the dominant scale for Australian-based models.

Kits have been manufactured by Ks and by CDC models in various scales.

I would like a L&SWR one please, plus a Brill Tramway or Nidd Valley one, all with cabs.

Edited by KymN
Extra thought.

• RMweb Gold

More wagons please.

Ideally starting with the SR "standard" goods van in all its varied glory, two wheelbases, even-planked, odd-planked and plywood bodies, and several kinds of brake. Power, Monarch and Freighter along with the more familiar Morton ones.

Yes, I know Bachmann have done some of them, but they are "of their time" and compromised by the "universal parts bin syndrome". 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Dunsignalling said:

More wagons please.

Ideally starting with the SR "standard" goods van in all its varied glory, two wheelbases, even-planked, odd-planked and plywood bodies, and several kinds of brake. Power, Monarch and Freighter along with the familiar Morton ones.

Yes, I know Bachmann have done some of them, but they are "of their time" and suffer from the "universal parts bin" syndrome. 

John

Sorry to disagree, but I think the ‘standard’ LMS vans are much more in need of an upgrade. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Downer said:

Sorry to disagree, but I think the ‘standard’ LMS vans are much more in need of an upgrade. 

I'd want those as well, but "replacement" rather than upgrade, surely? I'd dispute that the horrid Bachmann one even qualifies as a model of an LMS van! The 1970s Airfix one is way closer even allowing for the BR-era mods and the dreadful chassis! 

Whether any of that railway's vans can justifiably be called "standard" is also open to doubt. So many diagrams varying in small but noticeable ways. I'd like at least three different sorts to supplement/improve on my various Airfix/Parkside/Ratio "bashes". 

I'd also love to see a plywood-bodied GWR mink, which has never even been done in kit form TTBOMK.

Also, some cattle wagons. Hornby's S.R ones are the only decent representations available r-t-r.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

I think Rapido only have to look at the models released by Hornby in the early 1960s (and Tri-ang).  As far as I can ascertain, all the Hornby models have been released in one form or another, except for:

• Prestwin (1 out of 10 to Bachmann for even considering it but negative points for dropping it).
  • Bogie blue ICI Caustic tank (not many in real life but I would love a model).
  • Bogie brick wagon "empty to Fletton?".
  • and last, but not least, a Conflat L with three lime containers (well done to Tri-ang).  I want a few for my Derbyshire-based layout.`

I think marketing savvy will realise that all the Hornby/Tri-ang models have been released and have sold well, and that there are a few people of a certain age will grab these models.

Here's hoping!

Peterfgf

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

..... you're forgetting the Triang Giraffe Car and Battlespace series ....... 😊

I'm still trying to forget them. But people keep bringing them up again.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

12 hours ago, Bucoops said:

I'm still trying to forget them. But people keep bringing them up again.

I’m sure grandchildren would be tickled by the giraffe car although I’m not tempted. On the other hand, I find the idea of a model driven by an external fan irresistible.

Edited by No Decorum
Clarification.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, peterfgf said:

I think Rapido only have to look at the models released by Hornby in the early 1960s (and Tri-ang). 

• Bogie brick wagon "empty to Fletton?".
  • and last, but not least, a Conflat L with three lime containers (well done to Tri-ang).  I want a few for my Derbyshire-based layout.`

I think marketing savvy will realise that all the Hornby/Tri-ang models have been released and have sold well, and that there are a few people of a certain age will grab these models.

Here's hoping!

Peterfgf

I agree.  The bogie brick wagon has always intrigued me for some reason. Also, I have always wanted the gas wagon (3 cylinders?) that was parked next to station platforms when carriage lights were gas.  They appeared in the 0-gauge tinplate ranges back in the day (I have several).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rich Uncle Skeleton said:

Hello Rapdio!

If it was up to me what your product was, I would have to suggest a Manning Wardle 0-6-0. I’m surprised there hasn’t been one RTR in 00, they were very ubiquitous and would be suitable for so many freelance layouts.

I passed my steam driving test on a 0-6-0 Manning Wardle…..

• Funny 1

32 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

Why does (nearly) everyone ignore the most numerous British Railways wagon - the humble 16 ton stell mineral wagon ?

We could certainly do with numerous triple packs of these to modern standards.

For all it's box shaped humbleness - the little steel mineral is quite a complex beast it is not - fitted / unfitted varying types of side door arrangements and different end door styles.

I am sure Rapido are working on these, they've done the big brothers and TMC have done their cousins, so they surely cannot tell the story of coal without these little bu%%ers.

• Agree 2