Have your say with Rapido

rapidoandy

17 minutes ago, E100 said:

I would agree that these would appeal to both model rail enthusiasts and the royal memorabilia crowds. Hornby seem to think the market definitely exists and the resell prices are decent as well. Something 1950's-1960's based would be ideal for most modellers of that era.

I'd suggest there would be a market for the Mk3 based Royal Train. Its been used since 1977 and while the prototype coaches are very modified from standard Mk3s, even on Hornbys standard Mk3 moulding some of the coaches go for silly money.

• Like 1

On 28/01/2023 at 11:20, modelpara said:

Probably far too late but with the Coronation this year would have been an ideal time for considering a Royal Train collection although I suspect there may not be a big market for it but if you don't suggest you don't get!

I am not just thinking about the modern MK3 based one but older versions through the years.

Problem with that is that there were several different ones spread across the Grouped companies, and more from certain pre-Grouping ones that by virtue of their special nature survived in service. The former ECJS Queens Saloon for example is on display at Bressingham.

There was a discussion on the BRcoachingstock io Group a year or so ago which concluded that, unsurprisingly, details of the current Royal Train vehicles are not widely available.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, GordonC said:

I'd suggest there would be a market for the Mk3 based Royal Train. Its been used since 1977 and while the prototype coaches are very modified from standard Mk3s, even on Hornbys standard Mk3 moulding some of the coaches go for silly money.

This will only happen when someone announces a rival HST otherwise the market will struggle since Hornby would likely flood the market with them as soon as they got wind of it IMO. A modern Mk3 is definitely a potential gold mine for those willing to take on the red box.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, E100 said:

This will only happen when someone announces a rival HST otherwise the market will struggle since Hornby would likely flood the market with them as soon as they got wind of it IMO. A modern Mk3 is definitely a potential gold mine for those willing to take on the red box.

It certainly should be a gold mine if they get it right and not do an Oxford Rail

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 06/02/2023 at 17:19, Forward! said:

Given the success of the NER Dynamometer car, how about the GWR equivalent? Legitimately run it behind everything from a Saint to 9F, and 'foreign' locomotives during the exchanged too. Just like the LNER carriage I can imagine people buying one to just put on the display cabinet behind their favourite top link GWR engine. And the best thing is it still exists for Rapido to fire measuring lasers at!

Another good shout somewhat along the Dynamometer car would be the Hawksworth Inspection Saloons. There are couple about in preservation too.

Bachmann seem to have done well with the LMS Saloon both in OO and N so why not the GWR equivelant

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

DCC enabled GWR/BR slip coach ? 

Able to uncouple and glide slowly to a halt in the station from the rear of a through express....

Rob. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Rob

Although I'm not in the market for Slip Coaches myself, I (and The 00 Poll Team) felt that many would be. Extract from The Guide to The Poll 2019 below. (Other GWR Slip Coaches were listed.)

Brian

(GWR) Hawksworth Slip Coaches 64ft (1958 BR conversions from BCKs)

These three coaches were produced in 1958 by rebuilding Hawksworth Corridor Brake Composites. The last Slip Coach service ran in 1960 using one of these coaches. The slip apparatus was removed in September/October 1960 and the coaches used as Non-gangwayed Lavatory Brake Composites. At least one was used on the Highbridge branch of the S&D. 

Slip Coaches are useful in their own right, but if produced with a motor, DCC-users could slip the coach authentically and drive it to a stand in a station.

Edited by BMacdermott
To remove redundant link.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Rob

Although I'm not in the market for Slip Coaches myself, I (and The 00 Poll Team) felt that many would be. Extract from The Guide to The Poll 2019 below. (Other GWR Slip Coaches were listed.)

Brian

(GWR) Hawksworth Slip Coaches 64ft (1958 BR conversions from BCKs)

These three coaches were produced in 1958 by rebuilding Hawksworth Corridor Brake Composites. The last Slip Coach service ran in 1960 using one of these coaches. The slip apparatus was removed in September/October 1960 and the coaches used as Non-gangwayed Lavatory Brake Composites. At least one was used on the Highbridge branch of the S&D. 

Slip Coaches are useful in their own right, but if produced with a motor, DCC-users could slip the coach authentically and drive it to a stand in a station.

The former Hawksworth slip coaches got around a fair bit. One was used on the Taunton-Chard branch, for a while, too.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

As someone else has already put a Hawksworth Corridor Brake Composite on the market, I can't see Rapido duplicating it ........ maybe there's a market for a slip coach conversion kit from elsewhere ?

It is possible to convert the existing model of a Hawksworth BCK without too much trouble.  This conversion by Mike Peace of the erstwhile slip coach used on the Bodmin General branch circa 1963.

Bodmin cropped 2.PNG

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I'm rather hoping that a high-end manufacturer might try their hand at the Beyer Peacock Metropolitan A/B class.  This design was eventually very widespread, with examples used by the Metropolitan Railway, the District Railway, the London and South Western Railway , the London and North Western Railway, the Midland Railway,

the Mersey Railway, Pelaw Main Colliery, West Somerset Mineral Railway,the Nidd Valley Railway and in Europe.  There was a tender version used in Australia, but al model of this is coming in H0, which is the preferred scale here.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KymN said:

... examples used by the Metropolitan Railway, the District Railway, the London and South Western Railway, the London and North Western Railway, the Midland Railway, the Mersey Railway, Pelaw Main Colliery, West Somerset Mineral Railway, the Nidd Valley Railway and in Europe.  ...

I presume you're counting the Cambrian ones as 'in Europe' ! 🙂

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I presume you're counting the Cambrian ones as 'in Europe' ! 🙂

And ISTR a drawing by W. Hardin-Osborne in an ancient Railway Modeller, of a tender loco that the Cambrian created from at least one of theirs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...