Sutton's Locomotive Works *NEW* Class 25

Nick G

14 hours ago, Davidjsmith said:

A few more photos sorry about glare from window!

6E8A1B3D-7026-4FD4-9D06-A159154CBF64.jpeg

C9976179-C28E-4BAA-949D-6ABC81B92EE1.jpeg

979B49F5-8C78-4521-B376-3252825279DF.jpeg

85993E9F-9D04-4F2A-8E95-818D6125C1FB.jpeg

957A9702-4FA7-4765-A577-2DF6CC02A8D5.jpeg

They look magnificent, and the curve of the cab front just right. 😉 

Looking forward to these, turn up when they turn up,I suppose it gives more time to save up. I thought that 2021 and 2022 pre orders would all come at different times but its looking like most of mine are arriving in the summer! 

Thanks

Paul

A little surprised to see data panels on D7661 so, unlike D7666, not strictly 'as built' - it would have spent its first two years without them, and so not in such pristine condition by the time they were applied. At a guess D7552 spent much of 1968 in Gfye livery before receiving data panels early the following year.......

Data panels first appeared around September 1968 (the first I saw were on D838 'Rapid' in ex-works maroon 🤨 at Plymouth North Road on the 11th of that month) - this was around the same time that D prefixes were dropped following the end of steam so theoretically all works output from that autumn should have combined both features; however d/p uptake appeared to be quite slow - for example ex-works Class 33 6585 at Exeter St Davids on 2nd January 1969 didn't have them. They seemed to become widely available during early 1969 for depot application - even green-liveried Penzance pilot D4013 was displaying them by April.

Data panels are so easy for modellers to apply if required that on RTR models which bridge this period they would be better left off. Railtec supply blue-backed data panels suitable for green (and maroon) locos, which avoids having to paint a 3x2mm blue patch in preparation. Done that a few times.....🙂

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Halvarras said:

A little surprised to see data panels on D7661 so, unlike D7666, not strictly 'as built' - it would have spent its first two years without them, and so not in such pristine condition by the time they were applied. At a guess D7552 spent much of 1968 in Gfye livery before receiving data panels early the following year.......

But is that not part of why it is has been done as it has, representing slightly different points in time?

Roy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Halvarras said:

Data panels are so easy for modellers to apply if required that on RTR models which bridge this period they would be better left off. Railtec supply blue-backed data panels suitable for green (and maroon) locos, which avoids having to paint a 3x2mm blue patch in preparation. Done that a few times.....🙂

I would say it's a lot easier to remove a printed data panel than it is to add one and worry about making a mess with the varnish? I'd rather have it that way round anyway.

Cameron

• Agree 1

On 12/01/2022 at 15:10, sulzer71 said:

I wonder if the version with hinged bodyside grilles is being produced as I would have several!

I wonder if the earlier style version is still in the pipeline? I’ve not heard or read it mentioned in a year. This is the version I really want, preferably a late 70s Eastfield version. With the Bachmann version creeping closer to production I thought they might be a bit of noise coming from SLW. I just hope Phil hasn’t hard second thoughts. Obviously I realise everything everywhere is delayed but it has gone awfully quiet. Not that much was said in the first place.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

I wonder if the earlier style version is still in the pipeline? I’ve not heard or read it mentioned in a year. This is the version I really want, preferably a late 70s Eastfield version. With the Bachmann version creeping closer to production I thought they might be a bit of noise coming from SLW. I just hope Phil hasn’t hard second thoughts. Obviously I realise everything everywhere is delayed but it has gone awfully quiet. Not that much was said in the first place.

I believe it is still in the pipeline but when it will see the light of day who knows , in fact there was a sample of a small centre window one at the side of one of the displays , I believe pics of it have been posted in this thread previously

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sulzer71 said:

I believe it is still in the pipeline but when it will see the light of day who knows , in fact there was a sample of a small centre window one at the side of one of the displays , I believe pics of it have been posted in this thread previously

I don’t recall seeing anything recently though. I guess Phil is concentrating on bringing the two classes already announced to market first. Maybe something will be announced as we get closer to the Bachmann launch. 

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

I don’t recall seeing anything recently though. I guess Phil is concentrating on bringing the two classes already announced to market first. Maybe something will be announced as we get closer to the Bachmann launch. 

Don’t forget Phil’s preferred way of launching models is when they are ready to buy. Perhaps he is going back to that and we won’t know any more until they are ready for sale?

Roy

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

The pic is on page 23 of this thread , we both commented on it

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

The pic is on page 23 of this thread , we both commented on it

We did indeed but I haven’t seen any photos or updates since. I was curious to see if anyone had heard anything more.

• RMweb Gold
On 13/04/2023 at 13:20, Roy Langridge said:

Don’t forget Phil’s preferred way of launching models is when they are ready to buy. Perhaps he is going back to that and we won’t know any more until they are ready for sale?

Roy

That'll explain why I have an order from 2018 for a Scottish Class 24 that hasn't been fulfilled yet 🤣

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, 55020 said:

That'll explain why I have an order from 2018 for a Scottish Class 24 that hasn't been fulfilled yet 🤣

As I said, Phil’s preferred method is to announce when available. The Scottish 24 and new 25s were rather forced announcements. But, if you ordered in 2018, I guess you know that…

Roy

• Agree 1

The one thing that frustrates me is the lack of specific updates as to when these will arrive - perhaps we're spoilt with other manufacturers who are quite detailed in this respect. Still, I'm looking forward to the 25's arriving. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Agree but I think that’s because we are spoiled by Accurascale’s updates. Don’t think we’d give updates a thought if it wasn’t for the Accurascale way of keeping us posted. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just received an e-mail delivery update from SLW.

Delivery latest

'The Class 25s are now approaching the end of the production line processes in our Far East factory and are about to receive their final touches before packing. Echoing our response to telephone enquiries, we are confident that the first models should be arriving at the end of the summer, if you take container transit times and customs clearance into account. Thank you for your patience and continuing to support a small independent British-based company.

Best wishes,

Philip, Jennie & Jamie.

Also new announcement -  boiler fitted 25/2s  nos 25083 & 25086 

‘Steamy’ quintet will make beautiful sound

The unprecedent demand outlined above puts us in a predicament. To satisfy the appetite for further ‘standard’ BR blue and green liveries we have therefore decided to bring forward the reveal of further models featuring a significant new detail variation. This will make a ‘true’ mixed-traffic machine available to 1960s London Midland fans and doubly-excite 1970/80s Scottish Region modellers. 

Say ‘hello’ to the boiler-fitted Class 25/2
of which only a handful were built! 

Nos. D5233-7 (later 25083-7) were actually the first batch to be delivered with restyled flat-sided bodywork and two-tone green livery. Constructed at Derby during the Autumn of 1963, all were released to traffic that December, initially allocated to Toton (16A). The unique feature of these five locos was the provision of steam-heating equipment, noticeable by the underslung water tank. All subsequent Class 25s would be built sans boiler and tank. Our chosen locomotive from this early history is BR green No. D5234.

TURNING UP THE HEAT: Boiler-fitted D5234 is a new addition to the range and compliments our original two-tone green D7599 which has now sold out.

This is not a simple adaptation for we have invested in new tooling as well as providing the aforementioned water tank. The boiler compartment roof layout features the steam generator exhaust flue and air inlet cowling plus we have modelled the bodyside water-filler door. And, of course, our DCC versions will included the sounds of leaking steam pipes and blowing-off from the pressure relief valve! 

From the early-1970s, for almost a decade, this small fleet became synonymous with the Scottish Region where steam-heated passenger trains powered by Sulzer Type 2s was de rigueur. Home bases comprised Glasgow Eastfield, Edinburgh Haymarket and Inverness. There were some notable ‘escapes’ including a Cardiff Canton sojourn for one loco during 1975 which saw it work as far west as Taunton! For the last few years, they moved south to the North-West and Midlands (getting to Aberystwyth, Scarborough and everywhere in between) whilst retaining their larger than standard Glasgow St Rollox Works trademark bodyside numbers. 

Nos. 25083 & 25086 are being represented in BR blue, the former with its 1982 retro-fitted snowploughs. These two locos are even recorded together, double-heading a special from Chester to Aberystwyth for a Vale of Rheidol open day on May 2nd 1983!

STEAMY WINDOWS: The steam heat theme continues with the provision of two blue Edinburgh Haymarket machines, bang on for the early-1980s.

It all seems a bit incongruous announcing these boilered locos just as we enter the Summer months but the ever-reducing options due to sell-outs has forced our hand. These models will follow on slightly behind the main batches so don’t expect them all to arrive together – a bonus if you are budgeting. Because of their mixed-traffic nature, we are convinced these new items will be extremely popular, so don’t delay.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4

I've ordered the Haymarket pair this morning , may end up ordering another (or two lol) for renumbering , very useful for my modelling period but may need renumbering/position of numbers changing etc and headcode displays to backdate them , need to find as many pictures now of 083>087

On 07/06/2023 at 09:15, sulzer71 said:

I've ordered the Haymarket pair this morning , may end up ordering another (or two lol) for renumbering , very useful for my modelling period but may need renumbering/position of numbers changing etc and headcode displays to backdate them , need to find as many pictures now of 083>087

Im Sure it’s been mentioned before in this thread but so many pages to trawl through but do they take payment now or just take card details and take payment prior to dispatch? Sorry if om

hoing mover old ground.

1 minute ago, mallaig1983 said:

Im Sure it’s been mentioned before in this thread but so many pages to trawl through but do they take payment now or just take card details and take payment prior to dispatch? Sorry if om

hoing mover old ground.

They don't take any payment until they are in stock but then they will also contact you before taking any money , also after speaking to Jennie @ SLW the other day they can set up payment plans for a fee of £10 just in case you want to have it paid off before it arrives , which tbh I'm going to start doing in a couple of months as I currently have 6 loco's on order with them 

• Informative/Useful 1

58 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

They don't take any payment until they are in stock but then they will also contact you before taking any money , also after speaking to Jennie @ SLW the other day they can set up payment plans for a fee of £10 just in case you want to have it paid off before it arrives , which tbh I'm going to start doing in a couple of months as I currently have 6 loco's on order with them 

Brilliant. Thanks for the information 👍

• Like 1