Hornby Announce L&MR 0-4-2 "Lion"?

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, HonestTom said:

I find it curious if they have abandoned it, given how all-out they're going with Liverpool and Manchester Railway rolling stock. I think Lion with some LMR coaches would be a good seller if marketed right.

Actually Lion was built as a goods engine and the 1830's wagons in the Hornby catalogue would be more suited behind Lion.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Actually Lion was built as a goods engine and the 1830's wagons in the Hornby catalogue would be more suited behind Lion.

18 minutes ago, HonestTom said:

I find it curious if they have abandoned it, given how all-out they're going with Liverpool and Manchester Railway rolling stock. I think Lion with some LMR coaches would be a good seller if marketed right.

HonestTom is half right if you mean the flatbed wagons which are actually the chassis of the 20th Century replica LMR coaches with the top half replaced with a piece of plastic representing planks.  Or do you mean a train of Rocket Tenders without the water tank that Hornby call coal wagons, or maybe the sheep or horse wagons which again use the LMR coach chassis with a new top attached.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Depends how you intend to market it - I was thinking that given that Lion in preservation differs significantly from its original outline, and that the LMR coaches are based on the 1930 replicas, it would be a good centenary train pack.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, HonestTom said:

Depends how you intend to market it - I was thinking that given that Lion in preservation differs significantly from its original outline, and that the LMR coaches are based on the 1930 replicas, it would be a good centenary train pack.

Maybe they could call it an “inspired by” train pack?

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

4 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Maybe they could call it an “inspired by” train pack?

They wouldn't even need to do that, it can justifiably haul either of the Hornby 1930 Replica LMR coaches - covered or open because it did so for Rainhill on the real railway - so some sort of Rainhill Celebration 1980 theme would be fine.

https://www.nrmfriends.org.uk/post/the-titfield-thunderbolt-travels-home

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

They wouldn't even need to do that, it can justifiably haul either of the Hornby 1930 Replica LMR coaches - covered or open because it did so for Rainhill on the real railway - so some sort of Rainhill Celebration 1980 theme would be fine.

https://www.nrmfriends.org.uk/post/the-titfield-thunderbolt-travels-home

I was joking…….you remember those? 😉

• Like 1

My guess is that Hornby's Lion will appear, but not until next year's announcements now. I would imagine that a lot of the up front costs of development have already been incurred, so pulling the plug completely would be money down the drain. But they'll probably want to let the dust settle on the Titifield debacle before announcing it.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Butler Henderson said:

They announced it before the Titfield debacle but nothing has ever been seen to indicate any progress; just yet another spiteful reaction to another competitor getting one over them. No doubt a new 31 is suddenly at the top of their minds now...

Nah - just a load of releases in different liveries. Which will probably be the incorrect detail/number combination.

Just like 31147 in Dutch.

But it's Hornby so nobody will be bothered/care.....

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/news/press-release-trains-film

Trains on Film

PRESS RELEASE
July 5, 2022

For several months there has been some speculation concerning the introduction of two Hornby train packs under the sub brand title of ‘Trains on Film’ which both featured, in one form or another the L&MR No.57 ‘Lion’ and associated rolling stock. The films concerned were ‘The Lady with a Lamp’ and ‘The Titfield Thunderbolt’.

Hornby Hobbies Ltd. have decided to remove the two ‘Trains of Film’ packs from the Hornby 2022 product range and acknowledges and accepts that Studiocanal owns the licensing rights to the ‘Thunderbolt’ locomotive as depicted in the ‘Titfield Thunderbolt’ film as well as Dan Taylor’s grounded carriage body.  Hornby also acknowledges and accepts that Studiocanal owns the title rights to the films ‘Titfield Thunderbolt’ and ‘The Lady with a Lamp’.

Along with this, the Bedford Coach within the ‘Trains on Film’ category has also been cancelled.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

That's what I wanted in the first place....

So personally I'm quite happy although I could have done without the carriages as I got those ones with Rocket!

Jason

Just get the rapido one? Much cheaper and almost certainly better detailed?

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• Moderators
1 minute ago, SteamingWales said:

It appears that when ordering the Lion train pack you won't recieved a train but a black hole

image.png.4fc79a3d1a1c326fd624d4d82f65924c.png

Schrodinger's big cat.

• Funny 9