Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann announce NEW Class 47

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, APT Fan said:

So that was for the 2022 version of the 47?

Bachmann includes the catalogue reference in the description of model specific parts, so you can check before buying. At present the spares from the latest version of the Class 47 seem to have sold out, but they will probably be available again once Bachmann produces another batch.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Bachmann includes the catalogue reference in the description of model specific parts, so you can check before buying. At present the spares from the latest version of the Class 47 seem to have sold out, but they will probably be available again once Bachmann produces another batch.

Sorry where is that? I've checked my documentation, the available manuals on the website and the website spare parts section Class 47 2022.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, APT Fan said:

Sorry where is that? I've checked my documentation, the available manuals on the website and the website spare parts section Class 47 2022.

When you look at a spares item on the Bachmann site it normally tells you what model numbers it is for. Like this saying for 31-662. (I did try to make it smaller on my IPad, but no joy)

Roy

IMG_0804.jpeg.e08d824ebe6abca8dae324a9170d256d.jpeg

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

If I could ask this Q please,

Do the modern 35-xxx bodies fit the older 31-xxx chassis ??

no, the screw holes are in different places, they could be “made to” with a bit of cutting / filing.

Comparison here 

Edited by adb968008
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

That's a pity - had an idea to put a 47003 body on the chassis (with mods like taking the ETH jumpers off) from the old RES 47474 

Don't give up yet. Yes, the screw holes are in different places, but dimensionally the new body is a reasonable fit on the old chassis.

On my workbench at the moment is Kernow's new body 47363 on an old chassis...

47363.jpg.322ae067459a26f3b69d01179721ced1.jpg

I have still to work out how to attach the body to the chassis securely, but I'm sure I'll come up with something.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Waverley West said:

have still to work out how to attach the body to the chassis securely, but I'm sure I'll come up with something.

I find black tack on the edge of the plastic chassis frame works really well

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

45 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

I find black tack on the edge of the plastic chassis frame works really well

Yes, my idea was double-sided tape along those edges, but that sounds a good idea.

I should add that the biggest problem I encountered when fitting the new body was a lack of space for the cab inserts. In the end, I found that some slightly cut-down cab inserts from an old Heljan 47 body fitted OK. That requires you to have an old Heljan body to hand though of course.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Waverley West said:

Don't give up yet. Yes, the screw holes are in different places, but dimensionally the new body is a reasonable fit on the old chassis.

On my workbench at the moment is Kernow's new body 47363 on an old chassis...

47363.jpg.322ae067459a26f3b69d01179721ced1.jpg

I have still to work out how to attach the body to the chassis securely, but I'm sure I'll come up with something.

Double sided tape will do it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Quick question on the current batch of 47’s in particular the heavily faded 47526 in large  logo. Is the fading/weathering applied over the blue and able to be removed with thinners etc (I have done this successfully on Heljan heavy handed weathering) or in this situation is the paint job more complex and the weathering is effectively the base livery? 

I don’t want something that faded but an after a standard large logo and wondering if anyone has had a go?

many thanks

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SHerr said:

Quick question on the current batch of 47’s in particular the heavily faded 47526 in large  logo. Is the fading/weathering applied over the blue and able to be removed with thinners etc (I have done this successfully on Heljan heavy handed weathering) or in this situation is the paint job more complex and the weathering is effectively the base livery? 

I don’t want something that faded but an after a standard large logo and wondering if anyone has had a go?

many thanks

From having seen but not owning an example it looks like the fading is an intrinsic part of the body decoration as opposed to a Heljan quick blow over.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, SHerr said:

many thanks

48 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

From having seen but not owning an example it looks like the fading is an intrinsic part of the body decoration as opposed to a Heljan quick blow over.

The weathering is indeed printed and is not a subsequent pass of the 'dirt' airbrush. It's applied in layers but unless you want an expensive test there's no telling which bits will come off first. One other thing to note with this type of weathering is that the base BR blue is a faded shade - there's no 'pristine' model under there.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Forgive me for asking the question, but I am curious as to why someone would want to put a new 47 body on the previous 47 chassis.

Is someone selling the bodies alone?

Bachmann Spares department may also have stock. 

https://Bachmann-spares.co.uk/category/1-branchline-diesel-parts/class47

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dicky L said:

48 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Bachmann Spares department may also have stock. 

https://Bachmann-spares.co.uk/category/1-branchline-diesel-parts/class47

Rob

I think that Kernow must have acquired bodies for their Bachmann limited editions, where Bachmann had them. I recently bought a pair a Class 205 DEMU bodies from Kernow so it’s not just 47s.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

I think that Kernow must have acquired bodies for their Bachmann limited editions, where Bachmann had them. I recently bought a pair a Class 205 DEMU bodies from Kernow so it’s not just 47s.

Yes. It's usual for Bachmann to return bodies for exclusive editions to the commisioning retailer. 

Rob. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if Bachmann will bring out a plated headcode version in rail blue, the everyday loco of the early to mid 80s. Are there any anouncements due?

Or if there is a kit, shawplan or similar, to change the domino headcodes 47012?

Thanks

Class 47 in the snow at Doncaster

Photo Awwalker - Flickr

Edited by SouthernBlue80s
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Does anyone know if Bachmann will bring out a plated headcode version in rail blue, the everyday loco of the early to mid 80s. Are there any anouncements due?

Or if there is a kit, shawplan or similar, to change the domino headcodes 47012?

Thanks

Class 47 in the snow at Doncaster

Photo Awwalker - Flickr

Its bound to come out at some point, they will certainly have the tooling for it, but you could never be sure when. Keep an eye on the quarterly updates

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

2 hours ago, GordonC said:

Its bound to come out at some point, they will certainly have the tooling for it, but you could never be sure when. Keep an eye on the quarterly updates

I agree it will come out eventually, but we have already had two plain BR blue versions with dominoes - 47012 and 47435 - so I would expect Bachmann to prioritise other liveries we haven’t already seen on the new tooling. Also, a plated with headlight BR blue version was one of the last from the previous tooling - a weathered 47625 as a Kernow MRC limited edition - which is pretty good if you can’t wait. I expect you could find one second hand. Or the body only is available from Bachmann spares if you have a chassis to fit it to.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Thanks 1

47001 was this version in the older tooling , but it wasn’t done well.

Shawplan makes various bit and bobs for this, replica railways makes stickers for the marker lights 

• Like 1