Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Mark 2b, By Accurascale and IRM!

8 hours ago, Melton Works said:

Ok I have said this once already, but I would love to see an Accurascale version of this MK2B... we already have an IRM version of a generator car, so why not?...

20240306_223629.jpg

Accurascale exclusive for the second batch…

• Like 1

Morning all. 
just received my RTC Coach Pack finally and note that there is no limited edition certificate in the pack. I seem to remember others having them and others not. A small part but none the less an important one. Ive sent AS a message to ask what is happening regarding these. 

also, can anyone let me know if they have stopped putting these boxes in the protective clear cover (slide on plastic sleeve) as mine doesnt seem to have one nor do i know if they should have or are simply just the box. 

small points in the great scheme of things but id appreciate if some of you nice folks could let me know. 

thankyou. 

regards

Mick 

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Markn said:

Has anyone had an order through from any retailers yet (specifically Rails?).  Guessing not, as mine's still sat there as a pre-order.  Thanks.

Nope, nothing as yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Krieghoff said:

just received my RTC Coach Pack finally and note that there is no limited edition certificate in the pack.

Accurascale provided an answer to that back on page 32.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Krieghoff said:

Morning all. 
just received my RTC Coach Pack finally and note that there is no limited edition certificate in the pack. I seem to remember others having them and others not. A small part but none the less an important one. Ive sent AS a message to ask what is happening regarding these. 

also, can anyone let me know if they have stopped putting these boxes in the protective clear cover (slide on plastic sleeve) as mine doesnt seem to have one nor do i know if they should have or are simply just the box. 

small points in the great scheme of things but id appreciate if some of you nice folks could let me know. 

thankyou. 

regards

Mick 

Indeed no protective plastic sleeve provided,There wasn’t with the Siphon G. No need ….they are well packed .
My blue/grey InterCity ones arrived this pm.btw.& are currently on the tabletop. I particularly appreciate the lighting which will stay on even for a short while when brought to a stop on DC. A nicely turned out product once more.I will be amazed if there are disappointments.   

• Like 1

My blue/grey one arrived yesterday , wasn't disappointed. The level of detail far exceeds that of other manufacturers, right down to the cable and pipe runs on the underside. The B4 bogies are the best so far. Just need some mk2Ds to the same level.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Received my first class  2bs tonight , following on from the second class  ones last week . They are all superb looking coaches . Very happy .

Howevet,, at the bottom of the box of the BFK as well as the usual accessories was this . There is nothing obvious missing from the coach . It’s a bit big for an air reservoir . It was at the bottom of the box not in the plastic casing , so I don’t think it’s fallen off the coach . Any idea? 

IMG_6899.jpeg

IMG_6900.jpeg

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Legend said:

Received my first class  2bs tonight , following on from the second class  ones last week . They are all superb looking coaches . Very happy .

Howevet,, at the bottom of the box of the BFK as well as the usual accessories was this . There is nothing obvious missing from the coach . It’s a bit big for an air reservoir . It was at the bottom of the box not in the plastic casing , so I don’t think it’s fallen off the coach . Any idea? 

IMG_6899.jpeg

IMG_6900.jpeg

I’d guess it’s the ‘handle’ end of the magnetic wand…..

One of mine was snapped in exactly the same place, and weirdly, looked like someone had tried to superglue it back together !!

Not an issue for me, I have a few others…..

Cheers,

Phil.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Phil Mc said:

I’d guess it’s the ‘handle’ end of the magnetic wand…..

One of mine was snapped in exactly the same place, and weirdly, looked like someone had tried to superglue it back together !!

Not an issue for me, I have a few others…..

Cheers,

Phil.

ahh cheers Phil you are exactly right . Didn’t realise the wand was supposed to have a handle . Looks ok as is, but checking the other ones you are correct . Not an issue . 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, matchmaker said:
14 hours ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

I am in the same position. I asked Rails yesterday and they are still waiting for their delivery from AS.

Accurascale generally seem to send all their own orders out first before sending off orders to retailers. The exception to this is where there are retailer exclusive items. My TMC banana vans arrived before the ones ordered from Accurascale direct 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, AndrewB7585 said:

Accurascale generally seem to send all their own orders out first before sending off orders to retailers. The exception to this is where there are retailer exclusive items. My TMC banana vans arrived before the ones ordered from Accurascale direct 

Actually we send retailer orders out at the same time, but as some retailers orders are as big as our direct orders, it sometimes takes a little time - it's something that we're not happy with at the moment and working on with our warehouse and retail partners....

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 05/03/2024 at 17:51, classy52 said:

I would like to show the contrast/differences between the Accurascale WCRC Mark 2B coaches and the Bachmann 39-354 MK2 coach....

20240305_142925.jpg

Interesting discuss on West Coast Railway’s use of colour. As someone who is aware of the paint code that WCR use, I thought to inject some practical points away from my chair. 

WCR uses British Rail Standard Coaching Stock Maroon. Not their own ‘WCRC maroon’. Maroon is maroon, also know universally as British Standard 381C xxx…opps that would be selling for a penny! 

As someone has noted on here, maroon is a transient colour and it changes (darkens) over time. No one photo shall match another as no one coach is painted at the same moment. Photos are a dangerous reference to use, some are clearly taken on a sunny day with direct sunlight. Others taken on a dull day, with a weathered coach. Unless we know the type of camera and are viewing on Apple’s Pro Display XDR/Studio Display/Macbook Pro with P3 true colour (okay you might not get a university discount…so go view in an Apple store)…we all find ourselves sliding down a tricky slope to push our chairs back up!  

These photos of my trusty British Standard Colour Chart, one taken by artificial light and one in direct dull/overcast sunlight, shows how much 381C xxx / British Rail Maroon varies. None to my mind match what we are seeing here. Bachmann looks far more representative.  

IMG_5693.JPG.61b433c26012334f9706eb0cc2f27d37.JPG

IMG_5696.JPG.e4cfaa0a7417110704793a6c0a12e191.JPG

If I was being generous, I'd say the Accurascale maroon appears to match a coach that is freshly painted, in direct sunlight. Giving a much brighter effect to the colour. What we would need to check is to ask WCR whether the correct paint code was given to Accurascale, as it does appear a little light. If anything, it looks like a RAL match by the factory to BS. Anyone reached out?  

One thing is clear, assuming Accurascale have worked with WCR (as why would they not?!). Is that their coach shall fade like the prototype over time. 

I know Accurascale are very popular on here right now. Yet Bachmann have had a proven, long established history with paint accuracy. I would trust their artistic representation of coach, and it shall be interesting to establish what British Standard paint code Accurascale used. No doubt they shall be along quickly to confirm they have also used the appropriate British Standard provided by WCR and we can all laugh about how impossibly transient Maroon is! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 minutes ago, 159220 said:

... snipped ...

I know Accurascale are very popular on here right now. Yet Bachmann have had a proven, long established history with paint accuracy. I would trust their artistic representation of coach, and it shall be interesting to establish what British Standard paint code Accurascale used. No doubt they shall be along quickly to confirm they have also used the appropriate British Standard provided by WCR and we can all laugh about how impossibly transient Maroon is! 

Without wishing to start a long argument on here, I would dispute the statement about Bachmann's history of accurate colours, at least when referring to the various shades of Southern Region green they have tried over the years. Many of their other colour renditions seem good to me, but the greens were out by a long shot, especially on the first release BR mark 1 coaches. Then there was the over-dark shade on the next batch.

Maroon is, as you have said, a somewhat unstable and translucent colour. Way back in the 1970s, there were long discussions in the model railway press about whether the LMS maroon and BR maroon were the same. I think the upshot was it was the undercoat colours that most influenced the final colour (as it came fresh out of the paint shops - fading and weathering certainly add a whole heap of extra dimensions!).

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, SRman said:

Without wishing to start a long argument on here, I would dispute the statement about Bachmann's history of accurate colours, at least when referring to the various shades of Southern Region green they have tried over the years. Many of their other colour renditions seem good to me, but the greens were out by a long shot, especially on the first release BR mark 1 coaches. Then there was the over-dark shade on the next batch.

Maroon is, as you have said, a somewhat unstable and translucent colour. Way back in the 1970s, there were long discussions in the model railway press about whether the LMS maroon and BR maroon were the same. I think the upshot was it was the undercoat colours that most influenced the final colour (as it came fresh out of the paint shops - fading and weathering certainly add a whole heap of extra dimensions!).

It's a fair point to say that Bachmann's paint colours have historically been somewhat variable. The only things I would add is that in their various attempts at BR SR Green, they were also representing a colour that displayed an enormous range in real life - it could fade to a pale colour or through repeated varnishing get quite dark. 

• Agree 1

Maroon is considered by some (including web developers) to be a shade of brown, which is itself a really weird colour as it's arguably not a colour of its own but a very dark shade of orange. Here's a great video I watched a while back that popped into my head as I was reading this discussion:

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

These coaches are great!  They capture the character of the prototype perfectly.  They are well designed and easy to work with.  I have lightly weathered the underframe and the roof, but I can't bring myself to cover the lovely blue/grey paintwork with muck and grime.  There is a very passable interpretation of the interior detail - enough to recreate the essence of the prototype - and the lighting is excellent.  Time has not yet permitted me to weather all 9 (or populate their interiors).  The full rake will look great, I'm sure.  

Thanks Accurascale!

PM

PS: Apologies for lack of taillight.  Fresh supplies are on order!

IMG_1343.jpg

IMG_1344.jpg

Edited by uk_pm
  • Like 19

9 hours ago, murphaph said:

Maroon is considered by some (including web developers) to be a shade of brown, which is itself a really weird colour as it's arguably not a colour of its own but a very dark shade of orange. Here's a great video I watched a while back that popped into my head as I was reading this discussion:

At the risk of thread drift, "marrone" is Italian for brown.  As opposed to "moron" which is Welsh for "carrot", which of course is orange...

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

On 09/03/2024 at 10:59, SRman said:

BR Maroon was the same as LMS Maroon which was the same as LMS Crimson Lake, according to David Jenkinson and Bob Essery.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I must admit to having gone for a couple of blue/grey ones from Hampshire Models. For the eventual layout extension and of course diorama duties.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

At the risk of thread drift, "marrone" is Italian for brown.  As opposed to "moron" which is Welsh for "carrot", which of course is orange...

We have red carrots in Canada, as well as the orange ones, some are purple, but I haven't seen a maroon one!

• Funny 1