Mark 2b, By Accurascale and IRM!

1 hour ago, wombatofludham said:

Wasn't the issue with the Bachmann Mk1s that when they fitted the B4 bogies to them they pushed the ride height up compared to their Mk2as or am I mis-remembering?

Anyhoo, I notice on tatbay someone is selling modified Bachmann Mk2 stock with wafty magnetic lighting and detailed 3d printed and painted seats which show it is relatively easy to upgrade them to a standard where they could run in mixed rakes.  The 3d printed replacement seats look very nice and work out at about £12 a coach so it is something I will look at when I start upgrading my mixers.

I've got a set of the seats (for something completely different) and they look pretty good to me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SRman said:

The Bachmann Mk 2s tend to ride a little low. Some time back someone suggested adding shims above the bogies to raise the ride height. I added some crudely cut plastic sheet shaped as an open 'U' to add 1mm to the ride height of a couple of Bachmann Mk 2s and they now match the Mk 1s and a much older Hornby Mk 2 which I tarted up and flush-glazed. I haven't received my Accurascale Mk 2B yet but I fully expect it to match the height of the Bachmann Mk 1s and the newly raised Mk 2s.

Just been doing a comparison, Bachmann Mk 2a and Accurascale Mk2b are near enough the same height as makes no difference. A Bachmann Mk1 on B1 bogies is noticeably higher, whilst a Hornby Mk1 is lower but not quite as low as both Mk2s.

• Informative/Useful 3

I've added 20 thou shims to all my Bachmann Mk2 stock. This makes them nearer in height to Bachmann Mk1s and the same roof height as Accurascale Mk2Bs. Bachmann Mk2 stock seems to have deeper roofs than the Accurascale stock so the cantrails don't quite match. I'm happy with the two makes together now anyway.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

@Accurascale Fran @McC My MK2B coaches have finally arrived! What a credit to you all at Accurascale for producing these fine coaches! Everything has been thought out, detail, too much to mention, not seen on other RTR models. The best part for me though is the interior! These are second to none!

Anyway, I had detailed a few Bachmann MK2As, to make a prototypical rake, but to be honest, comparing the two, the MK2a is definately inferior. So the modeller in me came up with a plan....

But of alteration, with the Bachmann body being 4mm too short and resprayed roof/ends, but retains all of the Accurascale features!

Hopefully until there is a future release, i will have to make do with my improvised version...

20240320_221239.jpg

20240320_220159.jpg

20240320_215814.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Melton Works said:

But of alteration, with the Bachmann body being 4mm too short and resprayed roof/ends, but retains all of the Accurascale features!

Just checking, but you know the prototype mk2a is 8 inches shorter than the mk2b/2c? This would account for 3mm which is probably ‘within tolerance’ of your measurements.

I have a good number of the new Mk2bs. They are very nice and I agree that the Bachmann Mk2a struggles to hold its own next to them. For me, the main issue is the roof differences though (primarily the rain strip height - Bachmann too low) and not the length difference.

Guy

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, lyneux said:

Just checking, but you know the prototype mk2a is 8 inches shorter than the mk2b/2c? This would account for 3mm which is probably ‘within tolerance’ of your measurements.

I have a good number of the new Mk2bs. They are very nice and I agree that the Bachmann Mk2a struggles to hold its own next to them. For me, the main issue is the roof differences though (primarily the rain strip height - Bachmann too low) and not the length difference.

Guy

Can someone compare a Triang Mark 2 against the Accurascale?

Ignore the incorrect ride height.

I would not be surprised if the Triang is better than the Bachmann in matching dimensions.

These coaches are FANTASTIC! They arrived this morning so a quick few pics...

Just as the Bachmann ones were a huge leap over Hornby/Lima, these ones are a just a big leap over the Bachmann ones!

There is an awful lot of detail pre-fitted with packets of more detail to add if desired. And A3 size drawings showing you where.

The Boxes are compact and solid, the coaches have weight, I thought the parcel I received was a loco!

Lights - once they are charged, they stay on for a very long time. During the photos below, I had taken one of the coaches off the rails for a couple of minutes.

The interiors are brilliant, these models are shouting out for figures. 

looking forwards to the 2C's

Edit: Lighting can be switched on/off via wand and works under both DC and DCC.

Mk2b_01.jpg

Mk2b_02.jpg

Mk2b_03.jpg

Mk2b_04.jpg

Mk2b_05.jpg

Mk2b_06.jpg

Mk2b_07.jpg

Mk2b_08.jpg

Mk2b_09.jpg

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Melton Works said:

@Accurascale Fran @McC My MK2B coaches have finally arrived! What a credit to you all at Accurascale for producing these fine coaches! Everything has been thought out, detail, too much to mention, not seen on other RTR models. The best part for me though is the interior! These are second to none!

Anyway, I had detailed a few Bachmann MK2As, to make a prototypical rake, but to be honest, comparing the two, the MK2a is definately inferior. So the modeller in me came up with a plan....

Hopefully until there is a future release, i will have to make do with my improvised version...

20240320_221239.jpg

20240320_220159.jpg

20240320_215814.jpg

Some very nicely modelled Mk2a's! On their own what youve done looks smashing but I agree next to the Mk2b you really spot their errors. I always thought they got the length OK as Guy says the MK2a is shorter than the 2b/c

The 2b really is a great coach detail wise! They sit well with my Bachmann MK2f's body/roof wise and I'm really happy with that.

Personally I'm struggling with the Mk2b when it comes to converting them to EM. I've got my MK2fs bang on first time by changing out the wheels for RP25-88 using the original pin point axles. With a slightly wider axle setting than OO I've managed to reduce any slop so they sit at 49.5mm. I can't do that with the MK2b though as it has a 1.5mm axle! And I'm finding the Accurascale axle had loads of slop and my set of coaches each has varying ride heights by 1mm or so and can vary at each end. I think its due to the play allowed by using a shorter than standard axle width which does allow the model to run very freely.

I've ended up drifting out the Accurascale wheel with a wider axle width setting as a temporary solution which kind of works with less slop but has a deeper flange so catches on my trackwork. I dont have a problem with this as I'm yet to find a RTR wheel that works well. I just wish there was an easier option to replace them like with the mk2f. One to solve for the future. 

So for me I prefer Bachmanns less detailed bogie! (And way prefer a DCC setup without a wand).

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Mine just arrived and they are beauties! Great Underframe detail and two accessory bags each plus a wafty stick. There's a selection of different coupler options plus various pipe details in the bags. The free running of them is a dream. So smooth! I'm looking forward to running them on more than my maintenance plank though. 

The detailing is exquisite,  even picked out are the little hinges and flat metal parts on the gangway doors. The buffers are modelled in the retracted position,  as is correct except for on the end coach (one of which might have been a mk1 BG anyway)

Another win for Accurascale!

• Like 3

Replaced the tension lock couplers with the supplied magnetic ones. Running is now much smoother as the slight hunting from my class 50 doesn't now propagate down the train. Must say the close coupling of the magnetic couplers is absolutely superb. I was doubting when I fitted them how it would be able to negotiate 2nd radius curves (used in sidings on my layout), but it does so with ease.

As it's been mentioned a couple of times, here's a side-by-side with the old Hornby Mk.2a. Originally didn't order any as i didn't think I could justify a complete rake replacement and buying just a couple and mixing them in with the Hornby's would just look wrong. On seeing the photos as they all arrived though, I realised I could justify a complete rake replacement!

IMG_20240321_140719.jpg.e6f8138af20587d501f12aac0c7f9af3.jpg

Edited by ted633
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

Mine just arrived and they are beauties! Great Underframe detail and two accessory bags each plus a wafty stick. There's a selection of different coupler options plus various pipe details in the bags. The free running of them is a dream. So smooth! I'm looking forward to running them on more than my maintenance plank though. 

The detailing is exquisite,  even picked out are the little hinges and flat metal parts on the gangway doors. The buffers are modelled in the retracted position,  as is correct except for on the end coach (one of which might have been a mk1 BG anyway)

Another win for Accurascale!

Non-retracted versions are in the baggie too...

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, McC said:

Non-retracted versions are in the baggie too...

Excellent! Thanks for the info. I must admit my look at them on my test plank was a bit quick since I was laid up with the horrible lurgy that's been going round. I'll give mine a closer look once I get a few minutes. 

Now we need to ask for some 2As at this quality. 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, MJI said:

Can someone compare a Triang Mark 2 against the Accurascale?

Ignore the incorrect ride height.

I would not be surprised if the Triang is better than the Bachmann in matching dimensions.

Here you go - note the Triang model is a Mk2a, Accurascale a Mk2b. This is an original 1968 Triang Hornby R723 so is correctly modelled as a BFK and even has track powered interior lighting to boot. The B4 bogies were also a better rendition than the later 1977 push-fit replacements that Hornby turned to using. Note that this one has a factory error with the number applied being the one meant for the SO - they normally come with the number M14052.

The Accurascale one is unsurprisingly on a planet of its own but the Triang one isn't at all bad for its time - the biggest shortcoming is the extremely unflush glazing.

PXL_20240321_191547753.jpg

Edited by andyman7
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

No…… I would want to replace my Bachmann Mk2As but couldn’t in any way justify the expense. Mk2Ds first please.

• Round of applause 2

7 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

Personally I'm struggling with the Mk2b when it comes to converting them to EM. I've got my MK2fs bang on first time by changing out the wheels for RP25-88 using the original pin point axles. With a slightly wider axle setting than OO I've managed to reduce any slop so they sit at 49.5mm. I can't do that with the MK2b though as it has a 1.5mm axle! And I'm finding the Accurascale axle had loads of slop and my set of coaches each has varying ride heights by 1mm or so and can vary at each end. I think its due to the play allowed by using a shorter than standard axle width which does allow the model to run very freely.

I've ended up drifting out the Accurascale wheel with a wider axle width setting as a temporary solution which kind of works with less slop but has a deeper flange so catches on my trackwork. I dont have a problem with this as I'm yet to find a RTR wheel that works well. I just wish there was an easier option to replace them like with the mk2f. One to solve for the future. 

I used Branchlines wheels to convert mine to P4.  Worked extremely well with the axles fitting perfectly. With all metal wheels with an insulating bush on one side,  I am still able to use the lights, having bent down the appropriate prong that transfers the power from each bogie (effectively picking up from one side of each bogie.  I picked this approach up from a video on Youtube.

Chris

Chris

10 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Any chance of limited numbers coming back in stock,? Or have I totally missed the boat?

Looks like there’s a few available here:

https://www.railwaymodelstore.co.uk/search-results-page?q=accurascale

and here

https://www.hampshiremodels.co.uk/products/accurascale-2670-oo-gauge-mk2b-sk-coach-19486?_pos=7&_sid=9b668a417&_ss=r

Edited by MistaMatthews

2 hours ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

Excellent! Thanks for the info. I must admit my look at them on my test plank was a bit quick since I was laid up with the horrible lurgy that's been going round. I'll give mine a closer look once I get a few minutes. 

The heart response to your statement gives you the answer!

Great value coaches in my view (buying them in pairs on the website).

2As in Blue / Grey with Scotrail and NSE decals would be great. Maybe the temporary Provincial / NSE livery with the red stripe painted out. Plenty of permutations.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, lyneux said:

Guy

It seems to sit fairly good on the Accurascale chassis and in the case of the length all good then! (Didn't realise to be fair) Had to take a couple of mm of the nem pocket for close coupling. An Accurascale one would be nice though!

38 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

No…… I would want to replace my Bachmann Mk2As but couldn’t in any way justify the expense. Mk2Ds first please.

Both well needed, but yes a agree with a 2D. Gaping gap in the market!

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, andyman7 said:

Here you go - note the Triang model is a Mk2a, Accurascale a Mk2b. This is an original 1968 Triang Hornby R723 so is correctly modelled as a BFK and even has track powered interior lighting to boot. The B4 bogies were also a better rendition than the later 1977 push-fit replacements that Hornby turned to using. Note that this one has a factory error with the number applied being the one meant for the SO - they normally come with the number M14052.

The Accurascale one is unsurprisingly on a planet of its own but the Triang one isn't at all bad for its time - the biggest shortcoming is the extremely unflush glazing.

PXL_20240321_191547753.jpg

Proves my point, the much maligned Triang models even though a bit crude are accurate in dimensions.

I would say it proves errors on the Bachmann 2/2A

Now you can see why a full range needed.

• Like 2

To be honest the 2d would be able to re-use a lot of the 2c underpinnings and interior so probably could come to market a bit quicker.  I wouldn't be surprised if the 2d will be announced just after the 2cs come to market.  It's not a low hanging fruit - it's a massive hoarding screaming "Hello Boys".

Having seen the 3d printed Mk2 seating and having used some easy to install lighting strips from China in other Mk2 coaches I will be happy to upgrade a couple of Bachmann Mk2a coaches to mix in with the Accurascale coaches using these components, the earlier Mk2a coaches were shorter than the 2b/c and the later marks were a somewhat different design so I would expect them to have a slight difference in look, whereas the existing Mk2d is older than the Railroad LMS coaches from Hornby so are overdue a new version.  

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, ChrisMitchell said:

I used Branchlines wheels to convert mine to P4.  Worked extremely well with the axles fitting perfectly. With all metal wheels with an insulating bush on one side,  I am still able to use the lights, having bent down the appropriate prong that transfers the power from each bogie (effectively picking up from one side of each bogie.  I picked this approach up from a video on Youtube.

Chris

Chris

Interesting... although I don't follow what you've done. I'd be interested in seeing how you've got it working :)

4 hours ago, MJI said:

Proves my point, the much maligned Triang models even though a bit crude are accurate in dimensions.

I would say it proves errors on the Bachmann 2/2A

Now you can see why a full range needed.

I haven't yet received my Accurascale Mk 2B, but mention of the old Triang/Hornby Mk 2A prompted me to take this photo of what is currently running on my layout - the Accurascale TSO model in NSE livery will slot into this train. The Hornby model has the crappy-looking later bogie mouldings, but with flush glazing and window rebates coloured in, it passes muster in the mixed rake of Bachmann Mk 1s and Mk 2As. I should add there are approximately 1mm shims attached to the bogie mounts on the Bachmann Mk 2A models to raise their body ride height slightly (there's another one in NSE livery just off-shot to the right).

The Hornby coach could do with its interior being painted.

20240322_122121.jpg.d9a76c545474306c6f82dc05efc8b7ce.jpg

Edited by SRman
Fixing typo and removing ambiguity
  • Like 2