Mark 2b, By Accurascale and IRM!

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, DIRTY DIESEL said:

I received my 6 coaches and they all run freely on straights but come to a stand on curves with a slight binding noise, they also short out going though points, even my Peco express points, plus the lights will always be on when I turn the layout on even after being turned off previously.

What radius are the curves?

10 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

Great layout, saw it in Hornby mag and would love to see it in the flesh.

In light of the discussion around dark blue NSE Mk2As not being on the WoE if you need anyother complete rake for Reading drop me a PM! Though the picture of the Thames rake 'on hire' with the Mk1s is a tempting reason to keep hold of them.

Hi SouthernMafia.  Thanks for the offer but we probably have enough NSE Mk 1s, 2as and 2bs to cover our needs.  We are even considering running a ‘diverted’ boat train using the amazing 2b FKs.

Hopefully the layout will be ready to go

out in 2-3 years time.

Andrew

IMG_8720.jpeg

• Like 15

1 hour ago, mevaman1 said:

Hi SouthernMafia.  Thanks for the offer but we probably have enough NSE Mk 1s, 2as and 2bs to cover our needs.  We are even considering running a ‘diverted’ boat train using the amazing 2b FKs.

Hopefully the layout will be ready to go

out in 2-3 years time.

Showcase 2027?

Very excited to see this.

Guy

Edited by lyneux
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, NBL said:

What's wrong with looking it for yourself?

People have taken the bother to post on the colour debate, the least you can do is go and find it yourself.

Thanks for your useful contribution - not! No need to be so damn rude.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, matchmaker said:

No need to be so damn rude.

Frankly, he wasn't wrong. Too many topics get littered with people asking questions that have already been answered - simply because they don't want to spend their time reading (or using the search function) what has already been discussed and illustrated.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

Frankly, he wasn't wrong. Too many topics get littered with people asking questions that have already been answered - simply because they don't want to spend their time reading what has already been discussed and illustrated.

Another poster very helpfully pointed me in the direction of the post where the discussion on the WCRC livery started. What's the point in littering up the topic with unhelpful responses?

• Agree 2

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, matchmaker said:

Another poster very helpfully pointed me in the direction of the post where the discussion on the WCRC livery started. What's the point in littering up the topic with unhelpful responses?

"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime"

• Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, lyneux said:

Showcase 2027?

Very excited to see this.

Guy

Thanks Guy.  That’s a good show to aim for.  We’d love to come.  We’ll stay in touch.

To get back on topic - we’ll be running Accurascale Mk 2bs and 2cs.  

Andrew

• Like 2

And hopefully some Accurascale Mk2as as well :)

My MK2Bs are now all running nicely in EM thanks to the suggestion to bend the electrical tab back and use Black Beetle/DCC concepts 12mm wheels with a smidge taken off the pin points. They also now have less slop and line up very nicely with my Bachmann Mk2fs. So I'm alot happier now with just brakes left to align :)

One thing I noticed on mine is some of the bogies arrived slightly over tightened so were stiff to rotate. I'm not sure if that info helps with problems going round curves or not? A simple quarter turn to loosen has helped.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

And hopefully some Accurascale Mk2as as well :)

Hahaha.  I will be revisiting this thread regularly to see if that happens !!

As Accurascale now have the 64 foot Mk2 bodyshell in CAD that makes a lot of sense.  On the other hand all the doors and windows would need redrawing, as well as the underframe and gangways etc . In a strange kind of way and from a commercial point of view, perhaps Accurascale would market and sell the XP64 coaches more successfully. Were there only two bodyshell variants with two different versions of the doors - original and modified. 

Perhaps Brian MacDermott could give us an idea how often the XP64 vehicles have appeared in the polls, and maybe what kind of rating ?  Also, are there any XP64 vehicles left in 1:1 scale ? From what I can make out there are three. Two at the Wensleydale railway, ex NYMR, and one remaining at the Dean Forest railway at Lydney.

6 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Hahaha.  I will be revisiting this thread regularly to see if that happens !!

As Accurascale now have the 64 foot Mk2 bodyshell in CAD that makes a lot of sense.  On the other hand all the doors and windows would need redrawing, as well as the underframe and gangways etc . In a strange kind of way and from a commercial point of view, perhaps Accurascale would market and sell the XP64 coaches more successfully. Were there only two bodyshell variants with two different versions of the doors - original and modified. 

Perhaps Brian MacDermott could give us an idea how often the XP64 vehicles have appeared in the polls, and maybe what kind of rating ?  Also, are there any XP64 vehicles left in 1:1 scale ? From what I can make out there are three. Two at the Wensleydale railway, ex NYMR, and one remaining at the Dean Forest railway at Lydney.

Accurascale Mk2a BFK and TSO... yes we need some of these... 👍🏻

20240320_221239.jpg

20240325_141208.jpg

• Agree 1

Having managed to get myself back on topic here is a quick photo of how the NSE blues compare:

NSEcoaches.jpg.b05c7e6dbfe0fd072902492a6faba38a.jpg

At the front is a 1st batch Bachmann Mk2A BFK in their original darker blue. Next is another 1st batch Bachmann Mk2A BFK, this time repainted with Phoenix Paints NSE Light Blue, the window frames have also been repainted. Then there is an Accurascale Mk2B FK followed by a 2nd batch Bachmann Mk2A TSO in their lighter blue.

All the lighter blue coaches are very close to being the same shade. The curtains in the First Class coaches are Accurascale ones but as I felt they were too transluscent I have painted them in Humbrol orange on the inside face. They certainly add to the overall look of the coaches.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

One thing we noticed running the AS Mk2b, Hornby Mk1 and Bachmann Mk2a on our club layout on Sunday was how much smoother the AS is.  If you put a finger on the roof of each coach as they moved along the track, the AS felt almost isolated from the track.

There are, as well as the magnetic couplings, replacement kinematic couplings included for close coupling. Although it is stated that instructions are available on the AS website, they weren't there when I checked. However, when I contacted via chat I was told that these would soon be available.

Looking forward to the 2c!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matchmaker said:

One thing we noticed running the AS Mk2b, Hornby Mk1 and Bachmann Mk2a on our club layout on Sunday was how much smoother the AS is.  If you put a finger on the roof of each coach as they moved along the track, the AS felt almost isolated from the track.

There are, as well as the magnetic couplings, replacement kinematic couplings included for close coupling. Although it is stated that instructions are available on the AS website, they weren't there when I checked. However, when I contacted via chat I was told that these would soon be available.

Looking forward to the 2c!

I haven't been brave enough to venture 'into the bag' as yet. I reckon once I've got a few hours free I'll set up a test track* and run mine. 

I'm planning to build a portable test track. More on that soon. 

3 hours ago, Covkid said:

As Accurascale now have the 64 foot Mk2 bodyshell in CAD that makes a lot of sense.  On the other hand all the doors and windows would need redrawing, as well as the underframe and gangways etc .

Don't forget the Mk2b onwards were longer than the Mk2 and 2a, and were closer to 66ft long than the 64ft and a bit of the 2 and 2a types.  The extra length was largely down to the larger end vestibules.  That's why I think the 2d might be a better bet for the next release as it has exactly the same dimensions as the 2c, and all the internal design will also be the same as the 2c.  Basically to move from the 2c to the 2d will require a new bodyshell and some additional underframe details.

No doubt though a 2a shouldn't be ruled out given how Accurascale are not afraid to compete head on with Bachmann.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, matchmaker said:

It's a 46 page thread - can someone please point me in the direction of the right page? Many thanks!

Page 37 and work from there, it will only be since they started landing on door mats.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, metadyneman said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but just as a heads up, I have been running my Mk2a/b rake of 9 coaches ( Accurascale 5 x b +  Bachmann 4 x a)  over the last few days with the supplied magnetic couplings. They are lovely couplings but the magnets have become detached from the coupling several times from different couplings within the set of 5 Mk2b coaches. It has been a simple fix to glue the magnets back in with superglue but I feel that the original glue used may not quite be up to the job in hand. Other than that, these coaches are just brilliant in all respects.

Not had any become detached ‘in service’, but one was detached on opening the packet. As you say, just a drop of superglue and it’s all sorted. Just one to look out for.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, matchmaker said:

Thanks for your useful contribution - not! No need to be so damn rude.

You think that is rude? 

It's not as rude as jumping on a thread and expecting an answer to your question because you couldn't be bothered to check previous postings.

Do you go into Tesco and ask the first person you see where the soup is? 

Far too many people are just jumping in and asking questions without reading through the threads or performing even a basic search.  That is disrespectful to all those who take their own time to share their thoughts and knowledge on the subject being discussed.

As @AY Mod has pointed out, there is a search function and in my experience it works really well, it is always worth using that first when one has a question. At the very least it means you can reference it when seeking more information.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, DIRTY DIESEL said:

I received my 6 coaches and they all run freely on straights but come to a stand on curves with a slight binding noise, they also short out going though points, even my Peco express points, plus the lights will always be on when I turn the layout on even after being turned off previously.

I’ve contacted support any waiting a response, I haven’t taken the wheels out as didn’t know how easy this was with all the brake rigging around them and didn’t want to damage them.

As it looks like they just lift out looking at your photos, I’m wondering if I might have the same problem?

Thanks for sharing…

I had a similar problem with 2 of the 7 x coaches I purchased, which I noticed when the train kept separating at the same locations on my layout……. I swapped bogeys over with “good” coaches and the problem followed the bogey……… I initially felt the brakes may have been the cause, but this was not the case and the wheels were not fouling the underside of the coach.

At the weekend, I removed the wheels and found the back to back gap to be a very sloppy fit with my gauge - ah that will be it and I closed the gaps down……. Wrong !……refitted and the problem got worse if anything.

i checked a “good” wheel set and the back to back distance is very generous, so I opened the “bad” wheels out to suit and the problem went away…….. not sure I fully understand it, but there is clearly a marginal tolerance issue with certain rad 2 curves ( mine were also on an incline)…….

In the process of investigating the above, I concluded that as aesthetically pleasing as they are, the Accurascale magnetic couplings are not as strong at the West Hill Wagon work types.

Hope this helps

ps - Fantastic coaches all the same !

Edited by Hound Dog
Spelling
  • Informative/Useful 6

1 hour ago, wombatofludham said:

Don't forget the Mk2b onwards were longer than the Mk2 and 2a, and were closer to 66ft long than the 64ft and a bit of the 2 and 2a types.  The extra length was largely down to the larger end vestibules.  That's why I think the 2d might be a better bet for the next release as it has exactly the same dimensions as the 2c, and all the internal design will also be the same as the 2c.  Basically to move from the 2c to the 2d will require a new bodyshell and some additional underframe details.

No doubt though a 2a shouldn't be ruled out given how Accurascale are not afraid to compete head on with Bachmann.

Everyday is a school day !! Thanks "Wombat"  I didn't know that.

It is all relevant though and once Accurascale had the CADs on file they can be copied and amended as necessary. 

2 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Don't forget the Mk2b onwards were longer than the Mk2 and 2a, and were closer to 66ft long than the 64ft and a bit of the 2 and 2a types.  The extra length was largely down to the larger end vestibules. 

Strictly speaking:

"By comparison with the Mark 2As, the 2Bs were longer than all previous Mark 1 and Mark 2 coaches, being 64ft 0in in length over the headstocks, as compared with the previous standard of 63ft 5in. They were 66ft exactly of the body ends - previously 65ft 4.1/4in. The increased length was primarily to permit the installation of air-conditioning equipment in the roof space above the lavatories." (Ref. Modern Railways October 1969 p.469)

From: British Rail Mark 2 Coaches The design that launched InterCity, Michael Harris 1999

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, andyman7 said:

As @AY Mod has pointed out, there is a search function and in my experience it works really well, it is always worth using that first when one has a question. At the very least it means you can reference it when seeking more information.

A search function that works! I'm not too used to that on forums. I'll try it out next time. Thanks.

15 hours ago, Flood said:

Strictly speaking:

"By comparison with the Mark 2As, the 2Bs were longer than all previous Mark 1 and Mark 2 coaches, being 64ft 0in in length over the headstocks, as compared with the previous standard of 63ft 5in. They were 66ft exactly of the body ends - previously 65ft 4.1/4in. The increased length was primarily to permit the installation of air-conditioning equipment in the roof space above the lavatories." (Ref. Modern Railways October 1969 p.469)

From: British Rail Mark 2 Coaches The design that launched InterCity, Michael Harris 1999

I reckon Harris got that quote a bit mixed up. Sure the Mk 2b's onwards were longer over the body ends at 66'-0" and were to be the same till the end with the 2f's however the prototype Mk 2, the production Mk 2's and 2a's were all the same length as each other at 65'-4 1/4" over the body ends. The long underframe Mk1's which were shorter at 64'-6" again over the body ends.

Edited by Bob Reid
  • Agree 1