Mark 2b, By Accurascale and IRM!

Just picked up another 3 NSE FKs for the boat train after luckily seeing them in stock, had subscribed for notifications of back-in-stock items but didn't get anything. Probably a good thing otherwise I'd have bought more NSE TSOs!

Had loyalty credit but stuck with the 10% and will keep the voucher for another time (50 obviously...) Presumably you can either use the voucher or have 10% off 2+, as opposed to both? When I tried to use the voucher it removed the 10%.

Anyway whatever it costs very very pleased with the ones I've received so far, so good I decided my dark blue Bachmann NSE 2As need to be offloaded/repurposed.

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, SouthernMafia said:

Just picked up another 3 NSE FKs for the boat train after luckily seeing them in stock, had subscribed for notifications of back-in-stock items but didn't get anything. Probably a good thing otherwise I'd have bought more NSE TSOs!

Had loyalty credit but stuck with the 10% and will keep the voucher for another time (50 obviously...) Presumably you can either use the voucher or have 10% off 2+, as opposed to both? When I tried to use the voucher it removed the 10%.

Anyway whatever it costs very very pleased with the ones I've received so far, so good I decided my dark blue Bachmann NSE 2As need to be offloaded/repurposed.

Just ordered a Trans Pennine TSO and NSE FK after reading your post. Can be costly late at night!!!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I've always understood that, to get forthcoming Accurascale models early, I should order direct. That said, ordering from a retailer has been a good option when Accurascale sell out - and (as we've seen with the Mk2b coaches) it is unlikely that a retailer will be left with unsold stock even if it arrives a little later due to the demand. So I'd be pretty happy if I was a retailer compared to the situation where I got stock at the time as everyone else but then couldn't shift it!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Got 4 on pre-order from a reliable retailer in Loughborough - paid two days ago as they're in stock now - waiting patiently for delivery and despite all the picts & chat on here managing to suppress my FOMO 🤣.

Found a solution to comparison with the apparently rubbish Bachmann Mk2's too.

The Bachmann Mk2a's are all on the 14:23 Southampton to Oxford hauled by 31402 (eventually) and the AS Mk2b's will pass them at Winchester on the 12:07 Oxford to Southampton with 31409 in harness (eventually) - both trains might have to endure the respective non-ETH attention of 7035 & 7017 for the Summer timetable in the meantime ...............................

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

One important aspect of the AS Mk2Bs is that I will be needing to install lighting into all my other coaching stock. There's something magical about running them 'at night'.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Southernman46 said:

Got 4 on pre-order from a reliable retailer in Loughborough - paid two days ago as they're in stock now - waiting patiently for delivery and despite all the picts & chat on here managing to suppress my FOMO 🤣.

Found a solution to comparison with the apparently rubbish Bachmann Mk2's too.

The Bachmann Mk2a's are all on the 14:23 Southampton to Oxford hauled by 31402 (eventually) and the AS Mk2b's will pass them at Winchester on the 12:07 Oxford to Southampton with 31409 in harness (eventually) - both trains might have to endure the respective non-ETH attention of 7035 & 7017 for the Summer timetable in the meantime ...............................

This is something of a similar solution to my problem! I have both dark blue and light blue rakes, and dark blue FKs for the boat train. Unfortunately the Bachmann 2A FKs just do not match in any way to the new Accurascale light blue 2B FKs (colour, stripe proportion, ride height etc) so they're going for a complete rake of Accurascale 2B FKs, which was correct for the Waterloo- Southampton boat trains (I was trying to be cheap by using some 2As)

The light blue 2A TSOs sit well next to the Accurascale 2Bs, so happy with them in one rake. The dark blues will then sit within their own rake, so will likely have to repaint the 2C TSOT when that arrives so it is a better match.

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, SouthernMafia said:

so will likely have to repaint the 2C TSOT when that arrives so it is a better match.

Dont be to hasty,this is just the beginning of the coach range,im sure the rest are on the horizon of the guys here.......:)

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

29 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @wombatofludham,

We’re always happy to answer queries and explain just how big this process is as it can be hard to visualise. It’s literally containers full of products that all need to wrapped up either in small packets or pallets, depending on the customer who has bought one coach direct, or a retailer who has purchased a large amount to sell to their customers. It’s literally thousands of parcels and coaches (for instance we have 150 retailers, who all order different quantities) When you factor in that we do large amounts of different running numbers and liveries (as demand has dictated) it takes a lot of time to also ensure everyone gets the correct order. The Mark 2s also covered IRM too, which was an extra container which arrived first here in Dublin as they were the first to be finished over a month before the BR models and this will be the same for the forthcoming Mark 2c coaches. 

It’s unfortunate when a poster adds a narrative into the mix which just is not true, such as “retailers take months to get theirs, but maybe that’s on purpose”. If we didn’t want to support retailers then we would’ve just stayed direct only, we wouldn’t run our open days in their stores, and we wouldn’t ensure they get an excellent margin on an already reasonably priced models which always sell well for them. We also have further retail supports for the B2B side of our business which retailers will learn about very soon. (Long overdue, but that’s an issue with the rapid growth of our business). We can always do better for retailers for sure, but every business could say that.

I’m sure the speculation is innocent and human nature, but it’s unfortunate and not correct and ultimately doesn’t help the retailer as it could cost them sales. 

Our goal is to keep prices keen, and support the modeller and retailer. I think we do that well on both counts, with good prices and excellent full margins for retailers with models that are in demand and keenly priced RRP in a difficult economic situation.

As I said, we are always happy to provide insight, but it would be most helpful if posters didn’t inject their own speculative narrative into the mix that is utterly baseless in facts. I think that’s a reasonable request?

Finally, none of the above is directed at @wombatofludham, just a reply to his comment as he seems to understand our position and sees that there are no “conspiracy theories”. 

Cheers!

Fran

You'll have to save that post for pasting again in the future Fran!

Some people have no idea of the logistics involved. Why waiting a few more days or even 2 to 3 weeks is an issue I have no idea. 

We've waited 20 years for coaches at this standard.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

it would be most helpful if posters didn’t inject their own speculative narrative into the mix that is utterly baseless in facts. I think that’s a reasonable request?

Agreed.

So @richscylla, it's clear to me that you are amongst a collective with an agenda that has no place on this site. If any retailers have had any issues they can discuss with Accurascale directly, they don't need your involvement and you are actually doing (most of) them a disservice.

• Like 8
  • Agree 7

2 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Finally, none of the above is directed at @wombatofludham, just a reply to his comment as he seems to understand our position and sees that there are no “conspiracy theories”. 

Cheers!

Fran

No offence taken so long as you are working up an 80 Class.

You thought I'd stopped pestering you about that didn't you....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Anyhow, back on the subject of the coaches, I noticed the stay alive function on the lights being mentioned before but wow! I'm thinking of using one of the coaches as a night light on the landing! Very well done and I'll do that when I light up my other coaches. So good not having the lights flicker.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

You could have one 80 class or 2 Class 40s instead! 😄

• Like 5
  • Funny 4

5 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

This is something of a similar solution to my problem! I have both dark blue and light blue rakes, and dark blue FKs for the boat train. Unfortunately the Bachmann 2A FKs just do not match in any way to the new Accurascale light blue 2B FKs (colour, stripe proportion, ride height etc) so they're going for a complete rake of Accurascale 2B FKs, which was correct for the Waterloo- Southampton boat trains (I was trying to be cheap by using some 2As)

The light blue 2A TSOs sit well next to the Accurascale 2Bs, so happy with them in one rake. The dark blues will then sit within their own rake, so will likely have to repaint the 2C TSOT when that arrives so it is a better match.

I ‘m not sure about the boat trains as far as NSE blue is concerned.  However, if you look at the YouTube clips by Old Oak and John Byne you will see dark and light blue NSE coaches mixed in the same rakes.

Andrew

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

We always like being pestered about good ideas. Who knows, once the NIR Mark 2s sell out our test case will be complete!

Cheers!

Fran

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Agreed.

So @richscylla, it's clear to me that you are amongst a collective with an agenda that has no place on this site. If any retailers have had any issues they can discuss with Accurascale directly, they don't need your involvement and you are actually doing (most of) them a disservice.

I am a customer who has ordered a product from a retailer, who hasn't received theirs yet. I'm a customer who is a little annoyed at seeing people who have ordered the same thing as me with their models already in hand. I have no idea if retailers are happy or not with Accurascale - I'm just speaking from personal experience of ordering something and not having it. I have no agenda's against anyone, just want good service and good models on the occasion I buy something. If that makes me not welcome on this site I imagine many others fall into that group too. If you are getting something else by all means send a direct message and explain what you're on about.  

I asked a serious question of McC which he answered. Fine, the comment about 1 weeks and half ago confused me as people had their models before that, but I'm sure there are reasons.

I'm not sure how you can say I'm doing retailers a disservice, all I have said is that I'm annoyed at the one that I pre-ordered through, and it turns out it's because they don't have stock. I wouldn't say I'm the one doing the retailer that dis-service (especially as I haven't named them). 

And @Accurascale Fran, my "months" comment was based on when I remembered them arrived, turns out it was Feb 24th people started posting theirs so maybe only a month. 

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, richscylla said:

If you are getting something else by all means send a direct message and explain what you're on about.  

I'm only basing it on my observations of a degree of bias evident in your postings over the course of a year.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

1 hour ago, mevaman1 said:

I ‘m not sure about the boat trains as far as NSE blue is concerned.  However, if you look at the YouTube clips by Old Oak and John Byne you will see dark and light blue NSE coaches mixed in the same rakes.

Andrew

My recollection of the Southampton boat trains is that the FKs were mostly of the earlier Mk2 variety originally delivered to the Southern Region and that this continued in the NSE era. I can’t recall how many made it into the revised darker NSE livery though. 

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, richscylla said:

And @Accurascale Fran, my "months" comment was based on when I remembered them arrived, turns out it was Feb 24th people started posting theirs so maybe only a month. 

Hi Richard,

The issue I had with your comment was that you suggested that were doing it deliberately on retailers.

I addressed why it has taken as long as it has to get them all out there in my answer, which is a legitimate question.

As I explained, we are always happy to discuss these things, just without people adding baseless narratives to our responses. 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

My recollection of the Southampton boat trains is that the FKs were mostly of the earlier Mk2 variety originally delivered to the Southern Region and that this continued in the NSE era. I can’t recall how many made it into the revised darker NSE livery though. 

No. The original SR Mk2 FK were all gone by 1987. Pretty certain none made it into NSE at all. 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, steve1023 said:

No. The original SR Mk2 FK were all gone by 1987. Pretty certain none made it into NSE at all. 

Presumably this tallies from BR coaching stock group:

"According to P5 stock book on 1st Jan 1991 All 8 remaining Mk2b and all 5 remaining M2c FKs were allocated to EH (NWXX pool) in various NSE variations and used on the boat train. Without getting out the Mk2 Harris book I think all MK2c FKs had the later body style with single loo window and the a/c roof hatch"

This is my favourite pic of a boat train behind 33102. As far as I can see all look like Mk2bs to me and all a pretty uniform blue colour.

2020-04-16_12-31-45(1)(1).jpg.e18d7c152f13e45d207348829fa60c2f.jpg

2020-04-16_12-33-19(1)(1).jpg.421ee8e079eb6efd81465caa1038be77.jpgblockquote widgetblockquote widget

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, steve1023 said:

The early ones had blue asbestos insulation - hence their early demise. I also very much doubt if any made it into NSE livery.

• Like 1

I saw that I was mentioned in the accompanying leaflet. Thanks for that.

I tried to find the instructions for dismantling and changing couplings on the website but failed. Apologies if this has already been mentioned. I worked out how to do it. I decided not to change the couplings but dismantling is still necessary to put the curtains in first class.

I may be a heretic but I don't go in for lights. Also, I have a DC layout and carriages with lighting bridge section breaks, which is a real pain. I found I had some old Romford 12mm diameter wheels, which fit the Accurascale bogies and mean that axle is insulated from both wheels so the carriage is electrically dead. I don't have enough for my planned 2c fleet so will probably order some Gibson wheels, but will do some tests first.  I tried Bachmann wheels but they are too loose in the bogies as the pinpoints are a different shape.

Overall the 2b stock looks very good. The livery doesn't match my Bachmann 2a stock but that is probably more to do with Bachmann's colours (I have the early release of that stock). However, I found the livery is a pretty good match for the most recent run of Hornby Mark 1 blue/grey buffet cars. 

Hornby magnetic couplings seem to fit OK and unlike the Accurascale ones they are not handed.

One thing I would change is the shiny roofs. A much more matt finish would be better. 

Edited by robertcwp
Add a bit.
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1