Mark 2b, By Accurascale and IRM!

WCRC examples arrived with myself Friday.

I had a good look at these over the weekend to determine my overall thoughts. The more I look at these, the more I think that Accurascale have got the colour correct. And feel the camera does make them appear ever so slightly lighter than to the naked eye.

They must be the best RTR coaches we have seen in 00 gauge, the detail and precision on these is something else. The close couplings look and work wonderfully too. I am very much looking forward to the Mk2c’s in this livery to arrive on Greenford too! 

*ps some MK2d’s would be very welcomed!

IMG_0875.jpeg.1236daa6f9d834804b172e8e3bc805d1.jpeg

IMG_0867.jpeg.cd7b37dcad496fa7874d2c572fe17166.jpeg

IMG_0869.jpeg.21488e98ebe5fc701549d8d373623b04.jpeg

IMG_0874.jpeg.99a756f390be250b92a41cdcc3585acc.jpeg

IMG_0868.jpeg.1ea6036badfe9f83308acc121d935f4e.jpeg

IMG_0866.jpeg.7cf9e51821be3572de66908239ae9b02.jpeg

IMG_0872.jpeg.0e66d3468d0b62bd3580a6681faf8f19.jpeg

IMG_0873.jpeg.f939f5909265e7d4de2ddffea8458fcf.jpeg

IMG_0878.jpeg.b782ddd11afab27c172703f2b9073ba0.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, WCML100 said:

WCRC examples arrived with myself Friday.

I had a good look at these over the weekend to determine my overall thoughts. The more I look at these, the more I think that Accurascale have got the colour correct. And feel the camera does make them appear ever so slightly lighter than to the naked eye.

They must be the best RTR coaches we have seen in 00 gauge, the detail and precision on these is something else. The close couplings look and work wonderfully too. I am very much looking forward to the Mk2c’s in this livery to arrive on Greenford too! 

*ps some MK2d’s would be very welcomed!

IMG_0875.jpeg.1236daa6f9d834804b172e8e3bc805d1.jpeg

IMG_0867.jpeg.cd7b37dcad496fa7874d2c572fe17166.jpeg

IMG_0869.jpeg.21488e98ebe5fc701549d8d373623b04.jpeg

IMG_0874.jpeg.99a756f390be250b92a41cdcc3585acc.jpeg

IMG_0868.jpeg.1ea6036badfe9f83308acc121d935f4e.jpeg

IMG_0866.jpeg.7cf9e51821be3572de66908239ae9b02.jpeg

IMG_0872.jpeg.0e66d3468d0b62bd3580a6681faf8f19.jpeg

IMG_0873.jpeg.f939f5909265e7d4de2ddffea8458fcf.jpeg

IMG_0878.jpeg.b782ddd11afab27c172703f2b9073ba0.jpeg

These look spot on! Yes lighting makes a difference. I have now been able to compare with previous repaints I have done and Railmatch crimson is near as damn it. Yes looking forward to the MK2C!

Edited by Melton Works
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

What radius are the curves?

3rd & 4th radius, also noticed a binding sound as the coaches start on my incline, if rolling the coach down the incline (without a loco) the coach will stop dead as the incline levels out. 
I’ve also slackened the bogie screw off without any effect. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

The wheelsets are really easy to take out and you shouldn't damage the brakes by doing so.

I've removed all of my brakes and most are glued in really well but some have just fallen out when the glue missed. Again easy to fix. The only bit I've knocked off myself is the cross link thingy (not sure what to call it but it sits at 90 degrees to the springs) and be careful around the bogie steps.

If you share some photos I'm sure somewhere here can also help.

Thanks, I popped the wheels out no problem today, unfortunately posting a photo is beyond my IT skills, it looks like they are the correct size.  

14 hours ago, BluenGreyAnorak said:

As mentioned above, the wheels are very easy to remove without disturbing any of the rigging. However, if you have a problem with all six of your coaches that suggests a more fundamental problem. Can you take some similar close up photos of a few of the bogies?

Thanks for your reply, popped the wheels out today, very easy as you say, they look like the correct size, photos beyond my IT skills unfortunately. 
There’s an interesting posts (up thread)about teasing the wheels out a bit, so might try that next time in the loft. 

11 minutes ago, DIRTY DIESEL said:

Thanks for your reply, popped the wheels out today, very easy as you say, they look like the correct size, photos beyond my IT skills unfortunately. 
There’s an interesting posts (up thread)about teasing the wheels out a bit, so might try that next time in the loft. 

One other thing I noticed in my first attempt at converting these to EM using original wheelsets is there's no fixed position of the wheel to fit onto the axle (B2B is ok and set at the width of the plastic isolating axle). So its down to how reliably the factory can set this dimension which could affect the overall axle length. The only one I checked came out at 25.5mm (I think) and I definitely noticed some coaches having more slop than others so could be axle length varies...?  

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, DIRTY DIESEL said:

3rd & 4th radius, also noticed a binding sound as the coaches start on my incline, if rolling the coach down the incline (without a loco) the coach will stop dead as the incline levels out. 
I’ve also slackened the bogie screw off without any effect. 

Hi @DIRTY DIESEL,

Please feel free to drop our tech support team a message at support@accurascale.com and they might be able to offer some helpful info into curing the issue for you too.

Cheers!

Fran 

2 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @DIRTY DIESEL,

Please feel free to drop our tech support team a message at support@accurascale.com and they might be able to offer some helpful info into curing the issue for you too.

Cheers!

Fran 

Thanks Fran, already done 👍

So my MK2b TSO arrived yesterday my concern with detailed models is are they too fragile for a practical layout I think this is about on the limit for me, I don't think my Bachmann Mk2f is too far off detail wise compared to the Mk2b and probably about right for me. Colour wise the blue matches the Bachmann  stock but the grey is a lot paler which is correct I don't know? While for Hornby MK2e aircons the blue is too dark for both the Bachmann and Accurascale. The Grey doesn't match the Bachmanns either but its closer than Accurascale.

20240326_143855.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

54 minutes ago, 40002 said:

So my MK2b TSO arrived yesterday my concern with detailed models is are they too fragile for a practical layout I think this is about on the limit for me, I don't think my Bachmann Mk2f is too far off detail wise compared to the Mk2b and probably about right for me. Colour wise the blue matches the Bachmann  stock but the grey is a lot paler which is correct I don't know? While for Hornby MK2e aircons the blue is too dark for both the Bachmann and Accurascale. The Grey doesn't match the Bachmanns either but its closer than Accurascale.

20240326_143855.jpg

I'm quite happy to mix both Bachmann and Accurascale in a rake as the grey is probably in the range of natural variability.

There's a really nice shot of Blue/Grey aircon on the thread below which Simon shared when I asked about MK2ds on the Mule as I'm planning on converting a Mk2f to a Mk2d one day.

29 minutes ago, MJI said:

Which ones matches Precision?

As for precision paint.... I guess it depends which one ;) I've got a tin of precision later rail grey and that looks a good match for Bachmanns DMUs so should be similar to their Mk2f.

Personally I really like Bachmanns blue and the Accurascale looks a very good match. I've tried many blues and Rainbow Railways is the only paint that matches Bachmann.

• Like 1

The first run of Bachmann Mark 2a stock had a very dark blue and a more grey shade of Rail Grey. I put one of the second run of Bachmann Mark 2a stock, a Bachmann 2f and an Accurascale 2b together yesterday and I agree that the livery match is pretty good.

I've just noticed one of mine is NSE branded rather than Inter City. Not a problem as I can get a blanking patch and alter them (I'm mindful of the warranty, of course)  although certain rogue thoughts have now turned to building a small 1980s era layout... that's the era of my childhood too 🤔

On other things there's a third detail bag with yellow thingies in it in the IC branded ones, on a sprue. Destination boards perhaps? They do appear to have writing on them.  It's all part of the fun figuring these things out though. 

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

On other things there's a third detail bag with yellow thingies in it in the IC branded ones, on a sprue. Destination boards perhaps? They do appear to have writing on them.  It's all part of the fun figuring these things out though. 

They are for destination boards on the Western region.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

I've just noticed one of mine is NSE branded rather than Inter City. Not a problem as I can get a blanking patch and alter them (I'm mindful of the warranty, of course)  although certain rogue thoughts have now turned to building a small 1980s era layout... that's the era of my childhood too 🤔

I very recently ordered some more of the 2Bs, from a retailer who could still supply certain of the models. I wanted a Brake 1st, but the only one they have is an Inter-City branded version, whereas I want NSE branding, so I'll be doing the reverse of what you intend. 🙃

I'm not sure if NSE had Brake 1sts or downgraded them to Brake 2nds, but that's something I'll worry about later.

Edited by SRman
Minor correction
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SRman said:

I very recently ordered some more of the 2Bs, from a retailer who could still supply certain of the models. I wanted a Brake 1st, but the only one they have is an Inter-City branded version, whereas I want NSE branding, so I'll be doing the reverse of what you intend. 🙃

I'm not sure if NSE had Brake 1sts or downgraded them to Brake 2nds, but that's something I'll worry about later.

Might be worth looking at some of the old footage of the 50s on 8 mk2s at Waterloo and see how some of the consists are made up. There do seem to be two brake coaches and often a BFK in there. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

Might be worth looking at some of the old footage of the 50s on 8 mk2s at Waterloo and see how some of the consists are made up. There do seem to be two brake coaches and often a BFK in there. 

The waterloo to exeter route often had a pair of BFKs back to back in the centre (for easier alignment with platforms) in the 50s later days.

Not sure when the destination boards were used... my guess is its a 70s thing 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@SRman

Waterloo - Exeter rakes nearly always had a pair of BFKs together from the commencement of Mk2 air braked stock in 1979/80. From 1989 they moved the TSOT to be between the two BFKs. Originally all but two of the BFKs were Mk2A with only 14107 and 14109 (17107, 17109) being Mk2B. From mid 1988 Mk2C BFKs started to allocated as well.

When the Waterloo- Salisbury 6/7 coach rakes went to Mk2 stock in 1989 they were based at Eastleigh and normally had an FK plus BFK in the rake.

@BR Blue

The destination board hangers were still present on the original Western Region allocated Mk2A, 2B and 2E stock until around 1979. Obviously any stock that was cascaded from the other regions were not fitted with them (a large batch of Mk2A TSOs and BFKs in 1976) so you had some with and some without.

The boards themselves do not seem to have been used for very long at all. A quick look on Flickr shows some of them on the Swansea/Cardiff services in 1970 but none for any services in 1971.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, dj_crisp said:

The waterloo to exeter route often had a pair of BFKs back to back in the centre (for easier alignment with platforms) in the 50s later days.

Not sure when the destination boards were used... my guess is its a 70s thing 

Indeed, the one I have in my possession was on the trackbed in the remains of Gloucester Eastgate station when I was able to wander round them in July 1975. Had "Western Invader" for haulage back to Paddington that day too .............. 👍

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Southernman46 said:

Indeed, the one I have in my possession was on the trackbed in the remains of Gloucester Eastgate station when I was able to wander round them in July 1975. Had "Western Invader" for haulage back to Paddington that day too .............. 👍

Now that sounds like a double whammy of goodness

• Agree 1

Any news yet on the limited edition certificates for the RTC Coaches. Just asking as the last email from AS said they would be sent by post as the factory had omitted to include them

many thanks 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

I have watched plenty of YouTube footage and the set that seems to feature alot is a 9 coach rake, which comprises of TSO, TSO, TSO, BFK, TSOT, BFK, TSO, TSO, TSO, predominantly Mk2 A and B, with and without the TSOT, or a TSO missing. This is the set I am modelling. Bachmann 2A bodies on modified Accurascale Interior/chassis, mixed with MK2Bs, Just got to wait for the mk2c TSOT I have on preorder. 

20240326_210415.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, SRman said:

• Like 3