Both of the class 03 shunters on his layout - 03 121 and 03 382 - were allocated to Bristol Bath Road when I was an inmate there half a lifetime ago.  A point for discussion on the day.

By the way, I was brought up to understand that it is impolite to study a shop assistant's buns. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Rob Curnow said:

By the way, I was brought up to understand that it is impolite to study a shop assistant's buns. 

Not to mention their baps............oh, hang on.........

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, Rob Curnow said:

Only right.

Anyway they were out again when I was in my local branch but 20 minutes ago.  Their bakery products sell out almost immediately.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I can't help feel that the joys of retail therapy in our hobby are less inclined towards "bappery" and somewhat closer to the atmosphere in this crop from an old picture from David Hyde's collection, a GW official and likely taken at Hanwell or West Drayton.

1118421345_Bookbuyers.thumb.jpg.4a599316f1136bebf95667b05f6ebd47.jpg

Book sales at the show will be taking place at the new Wild Swan "shoffice" at 4 Tollbridge Studios. We will have a free minibus running between here and the show, not least as free off street parking is available to show visitors at the Tollbridge site, postcode BA1 7DE.

There will also be special offers on a wide range of quality non wild Swan titles during the event, together with some attractive "complete set" offers on several Wild swan titles.

I am also hoping to launch a brand new small layout design book from Wild Swan at the show, which has just today been approved for printing.

Apologies for shameless plug, do feel free to continue with bappery, layouts or whatever...

And just what is that bloke second from the right doing or saying?

Edited by Not Jeremy
postcode addition
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 1

15 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

And just what is that bloke second from the right doing or saying?

"Oh Flip! Never mind the hat, I'm wearing the wrong moustache".

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

Book sales at the show will be taking place at the new Wild Swan "shoffice" at 4 Tollbridge Studios. We will have a free minibus running between here and the show, not least as free off street parking is available to show visitors at the Tollbridge site, postcode BA1 7DE.

Jolly good, unfortunately Bathampton Station is closed, but I hear something is being knocked together down the road.

FB_IMG_1656438569215.jpg.b2168b26b06926c8582601a71124a5b4.jpg

I'll certainly be up for copy of that Roy England book (and some chips from The Fat Friar, now boringly re-named "Robbies Plaice”, on my way up the hill).

• Like 3

I'm up for a copy of the new Roye England book as well.

I think they're getting ready for a photo to go on the front cover of the next Edward Marston Railway Detective novel.  Great reads!

Maybe he was the one who originated the phrase 'I see no ships, only hardships'.

• RMweb Gold

1118421345_Bookbuyers.thumb.jpg.4a599316f1136bebf95667b05f6ebd47.jpg.3f70ddd9a6726f37a64dec04f4c42736.jpg

"Gor blimey, Guvnor!  There I wuz, strollin' on the Prom wiv her indoors. Luvlee Sundee mornin' when I 'ears this noise. I looks up an' I sees this flippin' great seagull, Larus argentatus he wuz. Big fella. 

Hes come darn, an strike a light,  ee's only gorn an' had the sausage an' batter out me Missus's 'and. Braver bloke than me, I can tell you. Me missus 'an er food ain't easily separated at the best of times.  So, orf ee's flappin' wiv this flippin' great sausage in batter dangling art his chops an' she's 'avin a right song an' bleedin' dance abart it awl. 

Well, ee must 'av coughed or summat coz all of a sudden like, tumblin' darn it comes an' its me straight in me flippin eye..........

Ow! I sharts......Ow ? sez me Missus......Ow ?  I'll tell you 'ow. It was one of 'em acts of god wot dun it. Him upstairs sees everyfing. 

Iver that or his nibs darn't like vinegar" 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

491D8FB4-53DE-463A-93A7-9D4F02D0F731.jpeg.69da771236d310f5c107d55824c8a186.jpeg

(Middle) I look down on him because I am upper-class.

(Left) I look up to him because he is upper-class; but I look down on him because he is lower-class. I have a large pasty in a bag. 

(Right) cor totty 

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

Jolly good, unfortunately Bathampton Station is closed, but I hear something is being knocked together down the road.

FB_IMG_1656438569215.jpg.b2168b26b06926c8582601a71124a5b4.jpg

I'll certainly be up for copy of that Roy England book (and some chips from The Fat Friar, now boringly re-named "Robbies Plaice”, on my way up the hill).

Lovely photo of Bathford Halt, Mr Dubya.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

A couple of snaps from the Camrail/Larkrail archives - 2005, Monkton Combe School. We both had dark hair back then and young Castons still had the strength to weild a shovel!

Jerry

Quick edit to say this is actually Bradford on Avon, not Monkton Combe

P7100085.thumb.JPG.921d976f574da8c9dd390f4461a6dd03.JPG61281751_P7100083(2).thumb.JPG.ce59d776c816460ef113039edbfe371b.JPG35538400_P8280098(2).JPG.c7747f04fb6e04e311c0239927fef9b7.JPG

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Cripes!

I am standing between John Froud and the late John Barrett, both G1 luminaries(!) As I recall, John advised me that if I kept blowing "Bude"s whistle then I would run out of steam on the ascent to Masbury..... Happy times with great people.

Strange to relate, the picture of that incredibly  good looking young man and his tiny trains shows one of this year's attractions.

Immediately behind him you can see one of this year's star attractions "Black Rock", this was an early outing for this 1/32 scale Irish tramway layout, seen being operated by Dennis Lepper, whose back we can see.

Built by the late Chris Lepper (Dennis's dad), it is attending in all its glory at Larkrail this year, operated by Dennis and his sister Annette, dear friends both and a couple of really great characters to boot.

In the same picture I can possibly see John Cruse and/or his very nice Welsh friend from the West Wilts group, and if I'm not mistaken Richard Dagger operating the fiddle yard of "Midland Sidings".

Simon

Edited by Not Jeremy
age, names, memory
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Less than two weeks to go now until the return of Larkrail. Here are a few more pictures to tempt you along, Adrian Full's delightful South Moredon, the full story can be found here

Jerry

598644398_DSCN3887(2).thumb.JPG.5395a447c340146cb8b1c36a5ed08e02.JPG47556277_DSCN3882(2).thumb.JPG.56077331e67a2e4a5221fa960659e6fe.JPG1883903127_DSCN3878(2).thumb.JPG.d7e3f906674a135f425ebccbe91c7ba1.JPG231150390_DSCN3876(2).thumb.JPG.eb8a6aadfb6dade902bca830166972af.JPG

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Never let it be said that Larkrail doesnt punch above its weight - and in terms of informants at the top of the RMWeb tree we most certainly do.

Word got to me this afternoon that a certain cake eating moderator (no prizes for guessing who) of this forum had been mumbling something about there being so much chit chat on this thread that they couldnt find details of the all important what, where and when so, for those who struggle to see beyond their next slice, here are all the details of up coming attractions  🧁🍰😀

Larkrail 2022

Saturday 23 July 10.30 – 4.30

Entry: £7.00, Accompanied children free

New Oriel Hall, Larkhall, Bath, BA1 6RA

Layouts, demonstrators and traders plus Kim’s Kitchen featuring cakes!

Layouts

Black Rock

G1 Dennis and Annette Lepper

Irish trams from the late 19th and early 20th century. The layout represents one of the small satellite depots built on cheap land on the edge of various Irish tramway systems such as that at Lucan on the outskirts of Dublin. Both the buildings and trams are drawn from various systems across Ireland so it will be perfectly possible to see a tram from Cork passing another from Dublin or Belfast. Dennis and Annette will be operating the layout in memory of their late father Chris, a prolific and highly skilled modeller and long-time supporter of Camrail.

Upwatch Works

7mm Richard Phipp

The Watchmouth railway is an imagined line set in deepest Dorset built to serve the growing town of Watchmouth and its neighbouring Napoleonic prison. Upwatch works strives to cope with the demands of keeping the locos and stock in some sort of order in the face of the Great Western’s intrusion into their territory – the latter’s broad-gauge line running right past the foot of the works. The layout, based on the classic inglenook design, allows for the shunting of handbuilt wood and card stock and sets out to demonstrate that O gauge does not necessarily require lots of space to be fun.

Peasevern Yard

7mm Rob Owst

Peasevern Yard is inspired by the Midland Railway Avon Street yard in Bristol, nestled in the shadow of Bristol Temple Meads station. In the late 1970’s the yard was used for the transport of Cement, Molasses and occasional Scrap trains with trains being handled by class 03’s and later class 08’s. The sidings were removed in the 1980’s and little trace of the railway remains today.

Bethesda Sidings

4mm 00 Tim Maddocks

The layout represents a small goods yard located on a might-have-been branch line between New Radnor and Rhyadar in Mid-Wales, close to the English border. A light railway runs down the valley and forms a junction (off scene) with the BR line. Following assumed rationalisation, light railway locos and trains are permitted to work into the BR goods yard. The layout was inspired by the small layouts of Rob Gunstone and was built partly to create a setting for the lovely scratchbuilt goods shed and weighbridge office, which are the work of Paul Iliff of Devon, who sold them when he changed scales a few years ago. The photographic backscene was put together in Photoshop by the skilled hands of Andy York, from my own photos taken near Knighton.

Moredon South

4mm 00 Adrian Full

Adrian’s might have been was largely built to justify the purchase of a Hornby Ruston 48DS shunter. In reality Moredon was a small halt with sidings serving a power station on the western edge of Swindon, which became one of the last active locations on the rump of the Midland & South Western Junction Railway. Ceasing generating power in 1973, the track to serve it remained in situ until 1978. But what-if there had been a dairy there, as well, or maybe instead of, the power station? And what if some of Swindon’s post-war housing had been constructed thereabouts rather than where it had actually been built? Could the halt have survived? True, the reversal at Rushey Platt would have been an operational inconvenience, although push-pull operation and later diesel unit operation would have eased things somewhat, so maybe, just maybe!

Shelfie 2

4mm 00 Paul Marshall Potter

The latest in PMPs series of shelf layouts, Shelfie 2 depicts a Northumbrian drift mine coal disposal point, off the Whittle Colliery line set in the ten years from 1969 to 1979.

Woodside

4mm 00 Dave Spencer

Woodside, set in the late 50’s, early 60’s, captures beautifully the atmosphere associated with the branch lines that once served small mining communities in the Forest of Dean. Built on two levels,  the upper level features a truncated branchline where steam powered auto trains and various railcars continue to provide a limited passenger service. Below are exchange sidings for the nearby colliery.  Both NCB and BR locos can be seen manoeuvring rakes of steel and wooden bodied wagons into and away from the loading area.

Ovjusko Stari

Croatian O gauge Paul Stanford

The layout brings a slice of the Balkans to the UK and is believed to be the only 0 gauge layout of Croatian Railways. Inspiration has been holidays to Croatia and journeys on scenically stunning single-track lines through mountainous landscape, with staffed stations, semaphore signalling and 50 year old locomotives and freight operations no longer seen in the UK. 

Foxbury

3mm Bob Brown

Foxbury is imagined to be a medium sized market town in the Cotswolds and the layout portrays the branch terminus as it might have appeared c1955. The frequency of trains though is something of an exaggeration as the prototype would probably have less than half a dozen trains a day at best! As so often happened in the country, the station is a fair walk from the town itself as you can see from the backscene. The stock is mostly kit built along with a few scratch-built items. The buildings are all scratch-built from either card or plastic sheet and are models of prototypes in Gloucestershire and Oxfordshire.

Heybridge Wharf

3mm Mike Corp

The layout was built for the 50 something challenge to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the 3mm Society 1965 -2015. The scenic part is 50 inches long by 50cm wide and is built to fine scale standards with a track gauge of 14.2mm.

Heybridge Wharf is purely fictitious and is situated somewhere in Suffolk at one of the last inland wharfs still operating. The railway was built under the Light Railways act as the Hey Light Railway to connect the town of Heybridge to the Great Eastern Main Line via Heybridge Wharf.

Pitt Hill

2mm Mick Simpson /Iain Rice

Pitt Hill is the result of a collaboration between Iain Rice and Mick Simpson in the scale of 2FS.

It is an attempt to reproduce in miniature the self-acting or gravity operated railways that were used to transport coal in County Durham in the 20th century, this model principally takes inspiration from the Bowes Railway system that existed just south of the Tyne in the Springwell area of Gateshead. It is not a model of any specific location but aims to be representative of the innovative way coal often found its way from colliery to staithes in this part of Northeast England.

Wisteria Collop

009 Dave Simpson

A simple but highly attractive narrow gauge scene set in Dave’s fictitious land of Somershire.

Demonstrators

Dave Easto/ Steve Cook – Gauge 1 and above

Steve Harrod/Andrew Vines – Gauge 1 Hydraulics

Laurie Griffin/Simon deSouza – Highland railway in 4 and 7mm

Giles Favell – Model railways and Radio control

Pete Kirmond/ - an exclusive first public showing of Pete’s stunning ‘York under the roof’ in 2mm.

John Greenwood – John will be bringing a selection of his latest projects including his 2mm Diamond Jubilee layout entry.

Richard Simmonds – DCC

Traders

Branchlines

ModelU

Titfield Thunderbolt bookshop

1168934249_Larkrail2022.jpg.7d3a2bdfd0ab58587f9bda296837ee3f.jpg.a6399924e8ea3847eba8ebbfbb55d702.jpg

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Do we have a cake menu as of yet ? 

Asking for a friend........

• RMweb Gold

My friend is just looking to examine the available options.....

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

My friend is just looking to examine the available options.....

That implies "your friend" will be consuming only a small selection of the available confectionery.....

Edited by Gilbert

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Gilbert said:

That implies "your friend" will be consuming only a small selection of the available confectionery.....

My friend poses the following question...

Ahem. Is it better to nibble examples of each offering on the day or scoff with focus based on the pre-event information and intelligence....? 

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

My friend poses the following question...

Ahem. Is it better to nibble examples of each offering on the day or scoff with focus based on the pre-event information and intelligence....? 

Rob. 

Cream on jam!

• Round of applause 2