Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

• RMweb Gold
On 09/12/2022 at 22:09, e30ftw said:

Is it true Rail/model rail will be doing the unique infrastructure livery and named after rail magazine?

19940818.c.PottersLock,Ilkeston.31116+31186.LR_filtered

Might buy one for one of my colleagues, he models Union Pacific, same livery?

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

With 31106 moving to Burton, and possibly joining Hanson & Halls mainline fleet, any chance we might see that produced?  Would be nice to see 31106 in BR Blue and 31105 in Network Rail yellow, as the pair top and tailed many a test trains together.

Edited by jools1959
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Wellll......

It took a while but eventually I had to order a basic rail blue class 31/4

Many happy memories bashing the only loco hauled train from Newcastle to Sunderland in my student days (it conveyed sleeping cars to Darlington for onward attachment to Kings Cross)

It was rostered for an ETH Class 31 so was virtually always 31 408 or 418 (hint hint - skinhead rail blue class 31/4 please)

Happy Days

Phil G

PS I did get a Deltic on this service once..... They also cancelled the preceding stopping service so it became all-stations to Sunderland with lots of Deltic starts

• Like 5

12 hours ago, philg said:

Wellll......

Many happy memories bashing the only loco hauled train from Newcastle to Sunderland in my student days (it conveyed sleeping cars to Darlington for onward attachment to Kings Cross)

It was rostered for an ETH Class 31 so was virtually always 31 408 or 418 (hint hint - skinhead rail blue class 31/4 please)

Happy Days

Phil G

PS I did get a Deltic on this service once..... They also cancelled the preceding stopping service so it became all-stations to Sunderland with lots of Deltic starts

Yes.  I did actually go for that train once, but ended up with a "generator" on it to Darlo. then "Ballymoss" to the "Cross" which was nice. 

I am sure Accurascale will eventually get round to 31418 even though it was unique being a dual heat "skinhead", and I did have it on a Norwich-Brum later. I think it migrated to March. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 25/12/2022 at 10:32, Covkid said:

Yes.  I did actually go for that train once, but ended up with a "generator" on it to Darlo. then "Ballymoss" to the "Cross" which was nice. 

I am sure Accurascale will eventually get round to 31418 even though it was unique being a dual heat "skinhead", and I did have it on a Norwich-Brum later. I think it migrated to March. 

31418 was one of Manchesters knackers on the 4 coach toilet trains in the 90’s.

You’d send 2 out to Southport, and you’d be lucky if you got a different two back, often both would fail and Springs branch would bring them back dead with a freight loco.

Thirty One, Inside Loco, Expect Trouble.

418 eventually died at Wigan before preservation, minus a centre cab window did it not ?

• Like 1

On 28/12/2022 at 18:26, adb968008 said:

31418 was one of Manchesters knackers on the 4 coach toilet trains in the 90’s.

You’d send 2 out to Southport, and you’d be lucky if you got a different two back, often both would fail and Springs branch would bring them back dead with a freight loco.

Thirty One, Inside Loco, Expect Trouble.

418 eventually died at Wigan before preservation, minus a centre cab window did it not ?

Ahh  I am thinking of an earlier period when the Brum Norwiches were still mostly steam heat stock and a coupler of dual heat 31/4s still used their boilers.  I know I had 31423 a couple of times and pretty sure it was steaming.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/01/2023 at 09:06, Shoey said:

I’ll just leave this here 😉 will certainly snap one of these once announced!

C9A2BC01-296D-433C-A221-353831D3683B.jpeg

I would hope that if Accurascale produce it  they leave all those awful appendages off, otherwise you would need a 12 phase decoder 

• Funny 4

On 12/01/2023 at 20:13, 'CHARD said:

They all were. 😜

IIRC they had some vaccy Mk2zs which I think were steam heat only.  Seemed odd that the next generation on from the Mk1s were still steam heat only back then.  

• RMweb Gold
On 24/12/2022 at 21:43, philg said:

I ordered a pair this week, a /4 and a /1, crucial locos for the model of Ipswich, trouble is that I need a lot more than two of them.

Andi

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Covkid said:

IIRC they had some vaccy Mk2zs which I think were steam heat only.  Seemed odd that the next generation on from the Mk1s were still steam heat only back then.  

I thought the Mk2z were what were originally just Mk2 but that caused confusion so they were reclassified? If so, they were dual heat. 

They original Mk2s were also vacuum braked so they could operate with the older stock. I think it was also the case that you couldn’t fit dual brake and dual heat in, but I am not 100% sure on that. 

Roy

On 14/01/2023 at 08:56, Roy Langridge said:

I thought the Mk2z were what were originally just Mk2 but that caused confusion so they were reclassified? If so, they were dual heat. 

They original Mk2s were also vacuum braked so they could operate with the older stock. I think it was also the case that you couldn’t fit dual brake and dual heat in, but I am not 100% sure on that. 

Roy

Some where steam heat only with no PV units.

Al Taylor.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, richierich said:

I might be wrong, but is there an imminent closing date for ordering a class 31? 

Hi Rich,

No, we dont do closing dates for the public. However, there is currently one for traders to get their orders in so we can make sure we can cover their customer pre-orders. Production begins after the Chinese New Year holidays in a couple of weeks.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Well, if we're wishlisting the next production run, 31146 would be my request in Engineer's Dutch livery with or without the "Brush Veteran" nameplates.  It was one of three locos used temporarily, double headed in case they cooked themselves over Talerddig, on Cambrian line services from the Midlands in 1992-3 after a 37 had departed the rails at Dyfi.  My "Flowery " is looking for a companion for hot summer weekend trips to Pwllheli (the last Hornby loco I bought, 31147 "Floreat Salopia" was also one of the terrible trio).

• RMweb Gold
On 11/01/2023 at 09:06, Shoey said:

I’ll just leave this here 😉 will certainly snap one of these once announced!

C9A2BC01-296D-433C-A221-353831D3683B.jpeg

Are those infra-red lamps for investigating a new much cheaper train heating system ?

Kev.

(Joke)

• Funny 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

NEW ANNOUNCEMENT - Mainline and EWS Class 31s Join The Accurascale Exclusives Line Up

Hi everyone,

Our Class 31s have been warmly received since they were announced just under 12 months ago. The main range has been flying off the shelves at pre-order stage and we are about to enter production in the coming weeks.

Everyone also knows that we like a couple of "Accurascale Exclusives"; or series of special edition locos available only direct from our website, open to all without the need for club fees and fair prices that are in keeping with our main range.

So, it's about time we revealed our first Accurascale Exclusives Class 31s!

31407 in Mainline Blue and 31466 in EWS maroon and gold relive those early years of privatisation and the twilight of the peds in front line service.

Class_31_web_31407.jpg.ab690f571bf00a51bb885cbd730f1ec9.jpg

Revealed in February 1996 at an event at Toton TMD, 31407 was possibly the most surprising locomotive to be outshopped in the attractive aircraft blue house colours of Mainline Freight, one of the three shadow privatised freight operators spun off from the Trainload freight business in 1994.

While the Class 31 fleet was in the process of being run down, this locomotive was selected because its electric train supply capability and vacuum braking made it the perfect partner for observation saloon DB999504. Despite this, it mostly saw employment on infrastructure duties, East Anglian passenger moves and railtours before being withdrawn in September 1998.

Class_31_web_31466.jpg.8e2a45f74b64f698a1be40bb5a4f4ad9.jpg

Ahead of the landmark Toton open day in August 1998 there was furious activity behind the scenes at English Welsh & Scottish Railway as the company went hell for leather to show off a more enthusiast-friendly outlook with range of exhibits wearing the Wisconsin Central-inspired maroon and gold paint scheme. One of the highlights of the event was Bescot's 31466, that wore its new EWS livery well despite being built way back in 1959!

A regular on freight and infrastructure work, it moved to Old Oak Common in May 1999 before finally being stored at the start of 2001. Happily it was acquired for preservation in 2007 by the Dean Forest Diesel Association and soon put back into service, the group gaining permission to retain the locomotive in EWS colours. Its currently based at the Severn Valley Railway where it sees regular use.

These two locomotives will enter production after our main range and arrive in stock in Q1 2024. They are priced at £169.99 DC/DCC Ready and £269.99 DCC Sound Fitted. Both are only available direct via our website and you can pre-order by clicking here: https://www.accurascale.com/collections/brush-type-2-class-30-31/accurascale-exclusive_exclusive?

Cheers!

Fran 

Edited by Accurascale Fran
  • Like 16
  • Round of applause 3