Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Interesting thoughts, I too sometimes ponder “what am I going to lose” when running something of recent levels of detail.

Theres a balance between intricate cabinet display models and day to day running models.

When it comes to exhibition layouts, I often see older stuff running, presumably because they already own it, have learnt it and see no reason to change.

it would be interesting to hear experiences of layout operators, who presumably more than most would have direct handling experience, maybe its own thread ?

Personally i like the detail, but think some of it could still be in a parts bag.

Perhaps the answer is to leave the fragile extras from your "layout" models in their boxes whilst they are on the track ?  I agree that bits do fall off.  In my case a stanchion from my bauxite HUO was lying in the box, so I refixed it, but this is not a new phenomenon is it. 

Or would you rather buy 40 year old tooled ex Wrenn and Airfix models where there is northing to fall off ?

Sorry.  I disagree.  Although the current stuff is higher priced than 20 years ago, the models look so much better and have more play value. For my period of modelling diesels had one tail light lit rather than two so I believe I will have the choice with my Accurascale D5544. 20 years ago there would not probably have been headlights let alone lights on the cab and engineroom and as for choice using DCC - hmmm

I am pleased the hobby is offering what is available these days

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

On 11/02/2023 at 11:14, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @Amaziii,

Nothing yet but we are following a few enquiries. If anyone has a mirrlees in their shed they forgot to tell anyone about we’ll love to hear from them!

Cheers!

Fran

Thats clutching at Straws now.  Been  reading too much Thomas the tank, with Henretta being used as a hen house!

I'd be a little more specific!  Loads of beautiful Mirrlees in Toton! 

Best chance would be a marine engine, if they were as reliable as in a 31,with tidal currents its about to run aground about....... Now. 

With the reliability, you will probably find a couple of coke cans from the correct engine.  If  you rattle them, they may sound like the mirrlees failing! 

P. S.  Keep wondering what the wife keeps moaning about tripping over in the garden.....   

• Funny 3

On 15/02/2023 at 21:04, Torbay Express said:

Best chance would be a marine engine, if they were as reliable as in a 31,with tidal currents its about to run aground about....... Now. 

Funny.  The rumour always was that the 263 Mirrlees JVS12 lumps were to North Sea fishing boats. Have every single one of them been gas axed ?

Wonder if there are any records in Kew of the power unit sales, or did they all go through one broker maybe.    

Edited by Covkid

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Covkid said:

Funny.  The rumour always was that the 263 Mirrlees JVS12 lumps were to North Sea fishing boats. Have every single one of them been gas axed ?

Wonder if there are any records in Kew of the power unit sales, or did they all go through one broker maybe.    

A common thread suggests a scrap dealers bought them, and resold them around various industries.

On that basis theres a chance of several out there, but being scattered far / wide it would be luck finding them. That said a nearly new conditioned Hymek power unit was spotted on a lorry going to a scrap yard in York, by an enthusiast from the Anson museum who recognised it, eventually turned up to finding a pair of MD870’s and an NBL 43 power unit. As a result D7076 was restored for pennies with one back in 2011…

Thread on the 31 power units here

Of course find the jvs12 is one task, finding a 31 willing to put it in is another.

Edited by adb968008
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Of course find the jvs12 is one task, finding a 31 willing to put it in is another.

And of course when it comes to pulling together a sound project, that is the key element that I think is being overlooked in this conversation.  These sound recordings are incredibly complex and need to capture a large variety of sequences, from start to tickover at idle, to then a number of different throttle notch positions, etc, etc.  The loco the engine is located in will define the sound as much as the engine itself, mainly due to exhaust size, shape and location.  It's also why a sound bite on an ancient video will not offer anything useable for creating a sound project.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 15/02/2023 at 08:48, adb968008 said:

Interesting thoughts, I too sometimes ponder “what am I going to lose” when running something of recent levels of detail.

Theres a balance between intricate cabinet display models and day to day running models.

When it comes to exhibition layouts, I often see older stuff running, presumably because they already own it, have learnt it and see no reason to change.

it would be interesting to hear experiences of layout operators, who presumably more than most would have direct handling experience, maybe its own thread ?

Personally i like the detail, but think some of it could still be in a parts bag.

I totally agree with you to be honest. Having lost interest in modelling for over 30 years, when I regained it I got all my old models out of the loft. I did decide to sell most of them some were not of the era I wanted to model anyway but I probably got rid of a couple I should have kept with hindsight.  Anyway I retained an old Lima 47 which apart from the crazy huge couplings which Lima put on looks fairly good, and is certainly robust compared to the latest Bachmann 47 which I also have. I also got a Bachmann class 40 and 45 these are older designed models which offer better detail than the models I had from 30 years ago but are not too fragile in my view.

I had a couple of Lima Deltic's which were not exactly one of Lima's better efforts and there clearly no comparison to an Accurascale Deltic. However for me the Accurascale Deltic do push the boundry between detail and fragility a bit too far, and I can see my two Deltic's being static exhibits on the diesel depot while the the hopefully the improved Mk2 versions will be the ones I actually use around the track.

I have ordered a class 31 I guess the jury is still out on that one.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Graham108 said:

Just noticed the order book for the Class 31's appears to be closed as all models are Sold Out - apart from the recent 'exclusive' announcements

You can still pre-order from official stockists

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

You can still pre-order from official stockists

The run is completely sold out on preorder now, for direct and trader allocations but our retail partners may still have small levels of stock to sell still.

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Graham108 said:

What do the blue stars on the front of 31271 signify please?

It is shows what other types of locomotive it can work in multiple with. Blue star is seen on many classes such as 40, 45, 46. Other locos have different ones, eg you will see Orange Squares on a 50 so it could not work in multiple with a blue star loco.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

It is shows what other types of locomotive it can work in multiple with. Blue star is seen on many classes such as 40, 45, 46. Other locos have different ones, eg you will see Orange Squares on a 50 so it could not work in multiple with a blue star loco.

Allways thought it meant the driver prefered beer made in Newcastle..........the one you have to come back for.....

• Funny 4