Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

On 06/02/2024 at 22:58, McC said:

They had but some recent retailer adjustments have released a small amount of headroom in advance of the stock shipping in april. 

Ah, that has just cost me an intercity variant. I should be saving up for a car. 

19 hours ago, SRman said:

Gwiwer (of this parish) had the Heljan 128 hauling 36 coaches around his layout in Australia, with some gradients and sharpish curves to contend with as well. Impressive for a vehicle that usually hauled a maximum of two vans in real life!

Not surprised - had mine on the LT tester yesterday by co-incidence - it's a weighty lump with plenty of poke that feel like it could haul anything ........................

Oops, just pre-ordered 31402 & 31409 and some MK2b's to go with some Mk2a's to cascade in the Autumn timetable onto the 5-coach Oxford - Southampton service via the D.N. & S displacing the existing Hymek's & Mk1's .................................... 👍

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

Ah, that has just cost me an intercity variant. I should be saving up for a car. 

Ive just bought a new car, and although I really want a couple or 3 of the 31s that have just come back available, I’m struggling to justify it. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

Ive just bought a new car, and although I really want a couple or 3 of the 31s that have just come back available, I’m struggling to justify it. 

If it helps they are no money down. So payment would not be due until a few months time for the first batch etc. (sorry!) 

We also offer installments 

https://www.accurascale.com/en-eu/pages/flexible-instalments

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 97406 said:

After banging on about not needing any more 31s on a certain other thread, the IC Mainline liveried one has tickled my fancy so why not!

That particular one will look incredible with some grime lodged into the grilles - I'm very much looking forward to it arriving! 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, James Makin said:

That particular one will look incredible with some grime lodged into the grilles - I'm very much looking forward to it arriving! 

It’ll go nicely with my backdated 37415 and numerous AC electrics in IC executive, too!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 07/02/2024 at 12:56, SRman said:

Gwiwer (of this parish) had the Heljan 128 hauling 36 coaches around his layout in Australia, with some gradients and sharpish curves to contend with as well. Impressive for a vehicle that usually hauled a maximum of two vans in real life!

The class128 DPUs handled considerably more than a maximum of two wagons in real life !!!

One of my all time favourite piccies of a Class 128 is by Simon Dewey and shows one departing Wolverhampton Low Level with what I take to be a train for Dudley.  From memory the unit is hauling at least four vehicles, one of which is a 12T LMS van with a sliding door, and a Palethorpes 3 axle Sausage van. If my assumption is correct the train would have turned right at Priestfield Jn and headed via Tipton Five Ways and Daisy Bank, and I think was post 1964.  After the Beeching axe of many DMU services in the Black Country and South Staffordshire, BR had to create a network of diesel parcels car services to cater for the services provided by the 2 car DMUs based at Walsall's Ryecroft MPD.  At this time BR used one of the Palethorpes sausage vans in parcels service.

Fast forward to 1979 when Barmouth Bridge was banned to diesel locomotives BR sent a DPU up the Cambrian Coast to bring back any vacuum fitted wagons to Machynlleth when they could return to the "railway".  The DPU was bringing back seven vehicles at a time from Portmadoc, Penrhyn, Barmouth and Tywyn, mostly gunpowder vans which were for loading at Penrhyndeudraeth.  I stood on the Down platform at Machynlleth as one of the trains rolled in - IIRC a mix of seven vacuum fitted vans which were stabled in the yard for that evening's 7G19 to Bescot.                 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

On engine noise,  the same engine can sound completely different depending on the induction and exhaust (Inc. silencer) arrangements. So a Mirlees engine on a ship might sound very different.  That's before considering that the same base engine can have different pressure charging arrangements.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

On engine noise,  the same engine can sound completely different depending on the induction and exhaust (Inc. silencer) arrangements. So a Mirlees engine on a ship might sound very different.  That's before considering that the same base engine can have different pressure charging arrangements.

The state of the turbo can also play a big part on how two “identical” locos can sound different. 

Roy

• Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, beejack said:

Do we have an update as to when the first batch should arrive on these shores?

Due to ship shortly. We’ll have confirmation once the factory is up to speed again post the lunar new year holidays. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, Richard RK3 said:

Thought I would put in a small request here, is there any chance that AS will do headcode box version of original Railfreight-livered (minus the red-stripe) Class 31?! 

I agree, nobody has done it yet 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/02/2024 at 00:29, Southernman46 said:

Will 31248 have the unplated boiler steps / hatch ?

From the website spec:

Class 31248 (SKU ACC2745-31248)
- Original boiler port and water filler with water filler steps

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, owentherail said:

I agree, nobody has done it yet 

Don’t  worry our tooling suite for the 30/31 like all our range is pretty comprehensive and we have already mapped out the next 4-5 runs :) 

Edited by McC
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, McC said:

Don’t  worry our tooling suite for the 30/31 like all our range is pretty comprehensive and we have already mapped out the next 4-5 runs :) 

Praying for more modern era ones to follow 31128!