Big Bertha

No Decorum

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

There was a surprisingly large stock of old tenders in stock from 1917 onwards, as there was quite a lot of tender shuffling going on. Summerson doesn't have anything to say about the Paget locomotive. It might just be possible to trace its tender in the records, I suppose. 

What is clear is that Big Bertha's tender was given a new tank of non-standard capacity.

The tender chassis too, by the looks of it, compared to an 1152 tender, it got the same if not very similar mods as Pagets chassis did.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, adb968008 said:

The tender chassis too, by the looks of it, compared to an 1152 tender, it got the same if not very similar mods as Pagets chassis did.

The frames were not modified but it was decked out with platform and steps in the then-standard style for new tenders, as seen on the Compounds, S&D mineral engines, etc. - superficial changes.

I’d not clocked the tender once! I wonder where and how they arrived at that work of complete fiction. It’s unlike anything I’ve seen on, well…anything. I suppose the closest being the oil fired modification done to 2P no 527, but that had a vent on either side. Not some magic mushroom sprouting from on top of a superfluous box!

• RMweb Premium

Well KR do apparently listen to email feedback, so you know what needs to done. Send info, send photos, and hopefully they can fix it before the models go to production.

If they get the info from a few people it would help. Let's not forget they have made changes to both the Leader and 4DD since the EP stage 👍

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've fired off an email to them with as many photos as I could find, so fingers crossed if others do as well we might see it improved 🤞

Right now the loco is looking really good, and is mainly being let down by the tender. So if they can sort that out it's going to be a winner in my eyes.

Also here's a couple more photos I found online (including one KR used themselves on the website)

img.jpg.982b5ff9330320a85181731e275f6a3a.jpg

BB-image-2.jpg.f422d024554a80f01eb9bbcc92b0cd67.jpg

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

I've fired off an email to them with as many photos as I could find, so fingers crossed if others do as well we might see it improved 🤞

Right now the loco is looking really good, and is mainly being let down by the tender. So if they can sort that out it's going to be a winner in my eyes.

Also here's a couple more photos I found online (including one KR used themselves on the website)

img.jpg.982b5ff9330320a85181731e275f6a3a.jpg

The tender raves have changed between these two shots…

not as high, and more curved at the footplate end on the lower shot.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

The tender raves have changed between these two shots…

not as high, and more curved at the footplate end on the lower shot.

Yup, her tender was cut down during LMS days. KR are doing the two types, they've only showed the MR EP so far though.

56 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Does anyone know what the pointy upstanding thing that appears to be fixed centrally to the plate at the back of the bunker/front of the tank is? It is visible in the shot above directly in line with the right rear corner of the cab, and is also visible in many other shots, but it isn't clear (at least not to me) what it is. I though it might have been a stop for the open tank filler, but I think the tank filler was further back.

The current tender shown by KR certainly needs some substantial alterations.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, craneman said:

Does anyone know what the pointy upstanding thing that appears to be fixed centrally to the plate at the back of the bunker/front of the tank is?

I think it may be one of a pair.  The bunker backplate is fabricated differently to the right as we look at it and there is a faint something in about the right place, assuming the visible one is off centre.  Fire-iron stays?  The DJH kit has them as a pair and they look very like they might be stays.

Alan

• Agree 1

After studying some of the earlier photos in this thread, especially those on page 17, I'm sure that you are right, thank you. Definitely a pair, and seemingly equidistant from the centerline of the tender. Another detail KRM will hopefully take on board.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/11/2023 at 15:54, Compound2632 said:

63018.jpg

[Embedded link to catalogue thumbnail of MRSC 63018]

Gosh, i looked at the footplate, and it looks like a pigs head and feet hanging out.

i’m sticking to water for the rest of the night now.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 3

On 28/11/2023 at 14:30, Fair Oak Junction said:

And yes she shouldn't have a vac pipe. I didn't even notice that, I was too distracted by the tender top 😄

It is for rule 1 so that people can use her as a freight loco on a fitted train.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

5 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

Fitted for train weight, I suppose.  Not necessarily speed.   

That's my argument, at least.

Many people under rule 1, run at speed as well. A Bertha on a fitted goods flying past a HST is highly probable in the rule 1 universe....

• Funny 3