Big Bertha

No Decorum

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, leezer3 said:

There is a certain subset of members here who are doing nothing more, nothing less than trolling.

There is a simple mechanism for reporting posts that you think are doing that to the moderators.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, leezer3 said:

There is a certain subset of members here who are doing nothing more, nothing less than trolling.

I'd be interested to know by how much the sales of popcorn increase with every new model announcement by KR Models.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
On 24/06/2023 at 08:44, Obsidian Quarry said:

Bringing the topic back to actual liveries, KR have now given us the LMS Black (sorry about the picture size, can't seem to find a bigger version)

image.png.47dbb52f5361911b17e14ae3fc8068c6.png

I quite like this one.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I've yet to see the locomotive that doesn't look good in LNWR livery.

A Dean Single or a Midland Spinner might raise eyebrows though

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, melmoth said:

A Dean Single or a Midland Spinner might raise eyebrows though

It would be interesting to see that put to the test. The nearest I can think of, in terms of Victorian curves, are the SECR Class D 4-4-0s that received this livery.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 24/06/2023 at 21:46, Compound2632 said:

Do they say if that was after the tender sides had been cut down, for which 1925 has been suggested, IIRC.

Reading a bit more of Essery & Jenkinson says that for short periods in 1921 & 1926 the loco was fitted for oil burning and when the tank was removed in 1926, the opportunity was taken to cut the tender sides down to improve rear visibilty for the crew and aid hand coaling in Bromsgrove.

(I wonder whether this was also when the MR coat of arms was replaced?)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, Darius43 said:

I quite like this one.

Cheers

Darius

I like the idea of painting the smokebox a matt black, in contrast to the rest of the loco. It looks more realistic to me. The smokebox was exposed to a lot of heat, unlike the boiler cladding and the rest of the machine. If I recall correctly, it was normal to use paint on the smokebox which was more resistant to heat.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Its good to see they've listened when it comes to the safety valves, but I'd like to see what they've decided on for the other side of the locomotive. The side shown in the CADs and livery renders isn't the side which carries quite substantial differences between the versions offered.

I do hope they do something to finesse the lamp before it goes to tooling, the render looks rather poor there.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

34 minutes ago, Zunnan said:

I do hope they do something to finesse the lamp before it goes to tooling, the render looks rather poor there.

Looks very basic and if anything underscale, and my impression is that it should also be angled slightly downwards. 

I do hope they're not planning to make it a working headlight.

• Agree 3

13 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Looks very basic and if anything underscale, and my impression is that it should also be angled slightly downwards. 

I do hope they're not planning to make it a working headlight.

I'm not too fussed if they intend on producing a working headlight, but that weird over sized trapezium appendage off the smokebox door can't seriously be the answer; and hopefully isn't! At least mount it off the top of the smokebox so that the door can 'open'. It does appear a bit underscale, but I can't decide on whether thats down to the way they've stuck it on with a mahoosive block below it. You're right about the downward bias too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Zunnan said:

I'm not too fussed if they intend on producing a working headlight, but that weird over sized trapezium appendage off the smokebox door can't seriously be the answer; and hopefully isn't! At least mount it off the top of the smokebox so that the door can 'open'. 

66930.jpg

[Embedded link to catalogue thumbnail of Midland Railway study Centre 66930.]

Photo taken after withdrawal and transfer of the headlight to the replacement 9F, showing the triangular bracket for the headlamp.

Annoyingly, I'm sure that just yesterday I was looking at a better photo of this, that I now can't find...

The ordinary headlamp bracket is on the smokebox door.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, melmerby said:

The smokebox door "wheel" amuses me.

Where did that come from? Did the MR ever use thattype of closure?

Not on this engine!

But such an arrangement was in vogue around the end of Johnson's superintendency - Belpaires, Compounds, and H-boilered goods. Here's one of my siblings:

pic_1948_283.jpg

[Embedded link to Science Museum Group website.]

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, melmerby said:

The smokebox door "wheel" amuses me.

Where did that come from? Did the MR ever use thattype of closure?

What is weirder with that is that the numberplate was always on the centre of the door, just where the wheel is.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1