Big Bertha

No Decorum

28 minutes ago, Steven B said:

KR aren't alone in producing fictional liveries. Hornby and Hattons have applied non-prototypical liveries to their four and six wheel coaches. Rapido Trains have done the same with their APT, Mink wagons. Rails with Dapol's help are putting all sorts of liveries on vans and opens. 

Peco have put fictional or generic liveries on many of their 009 models.

In N Gauge Rapido have done an RTC class 28 whilst 30 years ago Farish were using the same body shells under GWR, LNER, LMS, SR, S&D and Caledonian liveries.

I don't recall any of them getting the same level of stick that KR do for their fictional liveries.

SB

I would suggest Hornby get more stick for the fictional liveries than any of them put together....

Just look through the W1 thread!

Jason

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steven B said:

Hornby and Hattons have applied non-prototypical liveries to their four and six wheel coaches.

No, no. That's quite a different case. Prototypical liveries applied to freelance models.

But heck don't get me started on PO wagon liveries...

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Perhaps they are going to announce another Lickey Banker - the U1 !!

That GCR livery does look pretty, but I couldn't help wondering if today was 1st April.  If they really  wanted an LNER version, M&GNJR would at least had some Midland influence... perhaps on the pretext of needing a banker to get up all those hills in Norfolk and the Fens?  And the GER did have a tank engine with the same wheel arrangement.

I don't know if KR are up to it with their seemingly limited understanding of the subtleties of the english language but my thought process went GCR = Wath = GCR Garratt proposal for Wath = which turned into the LNER U1 for Wath = that too was tried on the Lickey.

On the other hand it could of course be a 9F Lickey banker because making 9Fs is even more fashionable than making EE Type 4s

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

I'd be game if that 0-8-4 gets done.  

How about the Beames one from the LNWR?

I'll settle for the Cooke (USA) 0-8-2T for the Port Talbot railway. Americana that ended up with a Swindon boiler & fittings ftom 1908

• Agree 3

36 minutes ago, melmerby said:

How about the Beames one from the LNWR?

I'll settle for the Cooke (USA) 0-8-2T for the Port Talbot railway. Americana that ended up with a Swindon boiler & fittings ftom 1908

Being pedantic they were LMS as they didn't appear until after grouping. Also have an excuse for LMS crimson lake livery.

Funnily enough one was trialled on the Lickey, but they were mostly used as heavy shunters and for trip workings. Edge Hill had about half a dozen of them.

Jason

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Being pedantic they were LMS as they didn't appear until after grouping

True

But the first thirteen appeared in LNWR livery, complete with cabside numberplate but with crude LMS lettering on the tanksides.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

But the first thirteen appeared in LNWR livery, complete with cabside numberplate but with crude LMS lettering on the tanksides.

LMS lettering in the same style as the LNWR lettering previously used on big tank engines. Whether that lettering was crude, I won't comment, but I do wonder if it was the inspiration for the later LMS block lettering style.

Anyway, one can have the Beames 0-8-4Ts in LNWR livery (with LMS lettering), in first LMS crimson lake passenger livery, and first LMS black goods livery, all at once.

I understand the red ones were so painted as they were initially used on Manchester-Buxton passenger trains before moving to South Wales, whereas the black ones went straight there.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, micklner said:

More like milking the last possible penny out of a Locomotive with one in the Class. 🤐

I don't mind others buying fictional liveries that effectively subsidises my purchase of a more prototypical one or allow them to make other items.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

I really hope there are EPs of Bertha at Warley to answer any remaining questions about details (mainly the reverser lever).

And if there are, hopefully someone will post some pictures for those of us not able to go 👍

Well you might have your wish judging by the most recent news letter that landed in my inbox 5 minuites ago

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Bluebell Model Railway said:

Well you might have your wish judging by the most recent news letter that landed in my inbox 5 minuites ago

Yep, just seen it myself 👌

From the KR newsletter: MR version, with correct tender, safety valves, and lack of reverser lever

IMG_9476.JPG.d67b1d52f070cdc23309d3ee6040b1ff.JPG

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The EP is definitely a step in the right direction, for the MR version at least. We still need confirmation on the later version.

I am definitely feeling a bit more confident about the loco, but will still hold off ordering until at the very least we get decorated samples.

• Like 1

I really do hope the headlight is one of the things being worked on. That looks like its been grafted on from a 1970s Tyco toy.

On the plus side it finally gives us a glimpse of the right hand side of the locomotive they're producing...well, in Big Berthas early guise at least. I'm still waiting to see how they intend to tackle the BR version which needs the very visible mechanical reverser.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The steam pipes could do with being a bit beefier but less wedge-shaped, I think?

I agree, the shape of them isn't hulked up enough off the top of the cylinder and (I think) they're not quite radiused enough. They always made me think of a bodybuilders trapezius muscles, but look undernourished on the EP.

Another thing that I think would be worth reworking are the sand boxes on the running plate. I think they're tall enough but currently sit too wide and are therefore at a rather shallow angle. I believe they should seat further back under the boiler so that the filler and top plate is at a much steeper angle.

I'd like to see the smokebox mounted handrails in place too, as that really completes the face of this unique machine. I know its an EP so the fit of the dome and chimney cap I'd think will already be on the list to be finessed, it looks like an American GI has left his helmet on an oil drum at the moment but that is easily addressed at this stage.

• Like 3