Big Bertha

No Decorum

• RMweb Premium

Also on the smokebox front, that had also been raised on Facebook and KR gave the same response that these renders do not fully represent what the physical model will look like.
On this point I am inclined to believe them as the actual CADs they released previously DID in fact get the smokebox details right (such as the numberplate, handrail, lack of dart, etc)

image.png.ec8cbbf260c8b5231dcf83f5e7d5e9ad.png

I'm coming to the conclusion that the 3D renders were mainly done just to showcase the liveries rather than the overall progress of the models themselves.
Obviously we wont know for sure until the actual EPs eventually break cover, but I doubt KR would get a major detail wrong after the fact when they already got it right in the first place.

I could end up being wrong, and it could be that KR have somehow managed to take a huge step backwards on some details. But I'm not going to condemn them before we know for sure.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

As to the red livery, this could be the first in a "Wills Cigarette Card" series of models... 

To be honest I could see that being popular. Unlike a lot of what if/fictional livery models, that would at least have contemporary precedence.
And it seemed to work well for Hornby when it came to the LNER lined green W1. After all, that livery only existed in illustration but didn't stop the model being hugely popular.

Edited by Obsidian Quarry
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Rich Uncle Skeleton said:

I’ll buy 10 of these if KRModels release one with Big Bertha written on the tender in Smokey joe font.

Will if nothing else proves if they read this thread or not - this will! Sounds like something they'd do 😆

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

KR are at it again with nonsense liveries, but that isn't the point of this post.
I'm posting this purely because it is an updated 3D render which shows the correct smokebox/front end arrangement on the loco 👍
image.png.0bbc1031459625656493b818ba0f409a.png

The FB post also had this update: "We will have the first running sample at Warley this year, which will also include a new announcement to do with the Big Bertha model and maybe even potential future models. Exciting times are ahead for sure!"

Hopefully the samples at Warley will answer the last major question about the models, will the two different era versions have the different reverser lever styles.
Fingers crossed we finally get an answer!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Obsidian Quarry said:

The FB post also had this update: "We will have the first running sample at Warley this year, which will also include a new announcement to do with the Big Bertha model and maybe even potential future models. Exciting times are ahead for sure!"

Strange livery for a MR loco, TBH I would have chosen the SD&JR given the amount of MR influenced loco designs they had, for a fictive livery here.

Putting that aside, I wonder what Bertha related new announcement could be? They might surprise us with working smoke or something... We'll see.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Putting that aside, I wonder what Bertha related new announcement could be? They might surprise us with working smoke or something... We'll see.

Working & movable headlamps, possibly the cue that could be pushing Hornby? 🤫 (I have nil interest in a Big Bertha or working lights). personally

Edited by stewartingram
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Obsidian Quarry said:

Perhaps they are going to announce another Lickey Banker - the U1 !!

That GCR livery does look pretty, but I couldn't help wondering if today was 1st April.  If they really  wanted an LNER version, M&GNJR would at least had some Midland influence... perhaps on the pretext of needing a banker to get up all those hills in Norfolk and the Fens?  And the GER did have a tank engine with the same wheel arrangement.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Obsidian Quarry said:

They were openly discussing the loco having a large space for a smoke generator during last weekends GETS in Milton Keynes, although weird if they are calling that new announcement for Warley

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, melmerby said:

Nothing wrong with Great Central livery - On Great Central locomotives.😄

And it has to be said that if the Great Central had built a 0-10-0 banking engine in 1920, it would no more have worn Great Central passenger engine livery than Big Bertha wore Midland passenger engine livery...

KR know how to get at us and are enjoying teasing us!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Teaser for something else?

One of the 4-6-0s and I might be interested.

But seeing as KR seem to like oddballs then I can see this!

spacer.png

Jason

I suspect that KRM thought that an 0-10-0 was close enough to an 0-8-4T that customers wouldn't notice the difference!

CJI.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

But seeing as KR seem to like oddballs then I can see this!

spacer.png

I wouldn't bank on it...

Another good example of a works grey emulating the full passenger livery for the official photo, while the engine was finally turned out in goods livery. But did the official photographer deliberately angle the camera to replicate the gradient of the Wath hump?

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Obsidian Quarry said:

There is a lot to question about the livery choice, but KR are a law unto themselves when it comes to that. With each new loco they seem to be going for more and more nonsensical liveries.

KR aren't alone in producing fictional liveries. Hornby and Hattons have applied non-prototypical liveries to their four and six wheel coaches. Rapido Trains have done the same with their APT, Mink wagons. Rails with Dapol's help are putting all sorts of liveries on vans and opens. 

Peco have put fictional or generic liveries on many of their 009 models.

In N Gauge Rapido have done an RTC class 28 whilst 30 years ago Farish were using the same body shells under GWR, LNER, LMS, SR, S&D and Caledonian liveries.

I don't recall any of them getting the same level of stick that KR do for their fictional liveries.

SB

• Agree 5

On 15/11/2022 at 21:29, GWR-fan said:

With today's demands for high quality, high fidelity models is it not time to ditch the old trainset rule of R2 compatible running?   R2 is fine for bogie models but the demand for large express and longer wheelbase steam prototype makes R2 compatibility a retrograde visit to the past.    Why do we compromise the model's running ability by designing the model to transit ridiculously tight curves?   Yes, this would limit the potential market but can we have it both ways by demanding high quality engineered masterpieces and then compromise them by altering the design for R2 curves.  Leave the trainset to the smaller locomotive market.

Hi,

It does seem a little silly, but then a huge proportion of the market still use Radius 2 Trainset curves, some only use it in a couple of places for space, some use it for all their curves. I think the majority of the market use Radius 2 curves somewhere on their layout.

Just because the layouts of RMWeb don't use Radius 2 doesn't meant that it's use is in a minority. RMWeb and Magazine readers and a very small part of the hobby and actually don't represent the full consensus of the hobby, they just shout the loudest!

Simon 

Edited by St. Simon
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Steven B said:

I don't recall any of them getting the same level of stick that KR do for their fictional liveries.

Well maybe we read different threads, because I have absolutely seen complaints about fictional/non-prototypical liveries in threads for Rapido, Hattons, and Hornby.

And as has been mentioned many times before, KR get so much stick because they seem to care more about producing "what if" liveries that bare NO relevance to the prototype than actually getting details and research right in the first place.

• Agree 2