Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

Nice scale and far better than the silliness we’ve seen in duplicating OO. Let’s see if they can eliminate some of the daft errors made on the 91 and APT to have models capable of running well as they have rather dented my faith in their design. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Wow the Hornby TT:120 certainly was unexpected! Vert exciting smaller than OO Gauge Bigger than N Gauge.  The range looks fantastic I'm surprised the range is as large as it is. Hornby if you are listing I would like an Hornby TT:120 InterCity 125 train set in original BR blue. WIth a oval of track, train controller mains and the rolling stock other than the Class 43 power cars in original BR Blue with one standard open MK3 coach and a first class MK3 coach.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Helmdon said:

that was like sitting through a nightmare! what on earth was the agency (assuming they used one) thinking??? Everything you've ever heard/read/dreamed about subliminal messaging and playing records backwards merged with the Ludovico Technique from A Clockwork Orange

I loved it! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

It is a daring plan either way. Make or bust type thing.

No Southern or GWR (yet) but still a hefty program mostly focused on the top sellers from the OO range. They probably would have been better off doing a 47 instead of a 50 but then they don't have a 47 using an up to date design in their OO range.

I did think in the past about doing an SECR line in TT, however most of what I'm after already appeared in OO since. I guess those of us who were born into OO, lived by OO, breath in OO..etc probably won't convert easily.

On the other hand this would have been perfect for me in my 20s when my collection was not so big and space was a problem (and N was too small) so I guess the new generation of railway modelers will find it perfect place to start or move too.

Being positive it could be a great move.

Making everything web exclusive though might be an issue getting the message out there. You would at least want the sets to appear in shops.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Interesting ... Like the looks of the HSTs / 50s / Mk2s / MGRs and tempted for that sole reason alone and not bad pricing either by looks of it. Ok available online only but maybe better way to keep the cost down to sensible levels as not sure this really will sell in its thousands and has to be quite a big gamble initially?

Certainly a good announcement for anyone who wants something larger than N yet smaller than OO or like me has suddenly become interested after today in the potential for TT scale.

(Also some interesting plans in the free catalogue available on the Hornby site - Class 37s / 47s / LNER HST train set in the next couple of phases).

• RMweb Premium

I'm amazed that Hornby can produce so much in TT:120, yet nothing in 009 or N. Does 9mm gauge track not exist in Margate?

The HAA hoppers are an odd choice given they were on their last legs when the 66 were built. Where's the 20, 37, 47, 56 or 58?

Steven B.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 10/10/2022 at 12:14, TomE said:

My overarching question is, why.... Why waste time, effort, and more importantly in Hornby's case, money, on a scale that has almost zero industry support (even with other recent announcements it's still practically nothing relatively speaking) Why not invest in a scale that already has a user base, i.e. N Gauge, where people will be able to buy models and run them on existing layouts with existing stock. 

Hornby have clearly decided TT is going to be the alter on which they sacrifice themselves. It all seems pretty bonkers to me.

Tom. 

Think you've answered your own question there - Hornby can sell the entire package to a new customer base.  No direct competition, they can sell you a complete trainset and you can build on that. Back to Hornby's core business model. Good news for existing modellers too both in keeping Hornby sustainable and allowing the newer manufacturers more space to flourish. 

Edited by MikeParkin65
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Agree 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 minute ago, PaulRhB said:

And to see if it’s viable to move the whole retail side over . . .

It could get a lot quieter on the OO front in terms of new stuff I imagine if this goes well for Hornby.

To be fair with Peco doing a range of track and Heljan dipping a toe in, it may have quite a future if others join in.

Lets face it, modellers flocked to O gauge RTR - look at the proliferation in the past decade, you can bet your bottom dollar that as the range expands beyond Hornby then a lot more modellers will give it a go too.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

It could get a lot quieter on the OO front in terms of new stuff I imagine if this goes well for Hornby.

To be fair with Peco doing a range of track and Heljan dipping a toe in, it may have quite a future if others join in.

Lets face it, modellers flocked to O gauge RTR - look at the proliferation in the past decade, you can bet your bottom dollar that as the range expands beyond Hornby then a lot more modellers will give it a go too.

Yes, customers did flock to  O gauge, but most saw the models at shows or in shops, and were tempted after much looking and pondering at the tempting items on display.

online only is a huge mistake, but hey, at least I don’t need to make space in my shop for it.  TT may well be notable by its complete absence in the very places that advocate the hobby.

Edited by Trains4U
  • Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

24 minutes ago, eldomtom2 said:

I note that despite having pretty much the entirety of the British railway landscape to choose from, Hornby have chosen to duplicate every item of stock announced by other manufacturers.

Also:

What have I missed? Which of these are duplicates? I found the Heljan 31 which Hornby aren't doing. There's some Peco track which could sort of be called duplicates. Theres the Gaugemaster 66, which will be a direct dup.

Edited by Talltim
  • Agree 3

30 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

See the range - https://uk.Hornby.com/hornbytt120

Train sets

tt1002m_1.webp%3Ffit=1

Hornby TT:120 train set

The Scotsman train set (with and without sound)

The Easterner train set

The Scotsman Digital train set
HST train set
British Pullman train set (with and without sound)
LNER East Coast Mainline HST train set

Locomotives (diesel-electric)

tt3014m_1.webp%3Ffit=1

Hornby TT:120 Class 08 locomotive

Class 08 0-6-0 08489 BR blue (era 7)
Class 08 0-6-0 08623 DB Schenker (era 10)
Class 43 HST Train Pack (era 7)
Class 43 HST Train Pack Intercity Executive (era 8)
Class 43 HST Train Pack GWR (era 11)
Class 50 Co-Co 50040 Leviathan (era 7) (with and without sound)
Class 50 Co-Co 50007 Sir Edward Elgar (era 8) (with and without sound)
Class 50 Co-Co  50007 Hercules/Warspite (era 11) (with and without sound)
Class 66 Co-Co 66847 Colas Rail (era 10) (with and without sound)
Class 66 Co-Co 66097 DB Schenker (era 11)
Class 66 Co-Co 66779 Evening Star GBRf (era 11)
Class 66 Co-Co 66850 David Maidment OBE Colas Rail (era 11)
Class 66 Co-Co 66789 British Rail 1948-1997 GBRf (era 11)

Locomotives (steam)Hornby TT:120

tt3011m_1.webp%3Ffit=1

A3 locomotiveLNER Class A1 4-6-2 4472 Flying Scotsman (era 3)
BR Class A3 4-6-2 60078 Night Hawk (era 4)
BR Class A3 4-6-2 60084 Trigo (era 5)
LNER Class A4 4-6-2 4468 Mallard (era 3)
BR Class A4 4-6-2 60016 Silver King (era 4)
BR Class A4 4-6-2 60025 Falcon (era 4)
LMS Princess Coronation 4-6-2 6231 Duchess of Atholl (era 3) (with and without sound)
BR Princess Coronation 4-6-2 46232 Duchess of Montrose (era 4) (with and without sound)
BR (late) Princess Coronation 4-6-2 46234 Duchess of Abercorn (era 5) (with and without sound)

Rolling stock

tt6008_1.webp%3Ffit=1

Hornby TT:120 LMS coaches

LMS 57ft corridor first 1062 (era 3)
LMS 57ft corridor third 1716 (era 3)
LMS 57ft corridor third 1573 (era 3)
LMS 57ft brake third 5619 (era 3)
LMS 57ft brake third 5832 (era 3)
LMS 50ft passenger brake 31236 (era 3)
BR (ex-LMS) 57ft corridor first M1063M (era 4)
BR (ex-LMS) 57ft corridor third M2001M (era 4)
BR (ex-LMS) 57ft corridor third M1842M (era 4)
BR (ex-LMS) 57ft brake third M5769M (era 4)
BR (ex-LMS) 57ft brake third M5598M (era 4)
BR (ex-LMS) 50ft passenger brake M31040M (era 4)
BR (ex-LMS) 57ft corridor first M1040M (era 5)
BR (ex-LMS) 57ft corridor third M1832M (era 5)
BR (ex-LMS) 57ft corridor third M1883M (era 5)
BR (ex-LMS) 57ft brake third M5842M (era 5)
BR (ex-LMS) 57ft brake third M5629M (era 5)
BR (ex-LMS) 50ft passenger brake M31040M (era 5)
BR Mk. 1 Corridor Composite (different numbers available)
BR Mk. 1 BCK (different numbers available)
Pullman FK Octavia, Plato, Zenobia with lights (era 3)
Pullman Third Class Brake No. 65, No. 162 with lights (era 3)
Seven-plank wagon (different numbers/liveries available)
LNER/BR vent van (different numbers/liveries available)
12T tank wagon (different numbers/liveries available)
LNER Dia. 034 'Toad B' brake van (era 3)
BR Dia. 064 'Toad E' brake van (era 4)
BR Intercity Mk. 2E TSO 5784 (era 8)
BR Intercity Mk. 2E FO 3234 (era 8)
BR Intercity Mk. 2E BSO 9504 (era 8)
BR Intercity Mk. 2E TSO 5889 (era 8)
BR Intercity Mk. 2E FO 3237 (era 8)
BR Intercity Mk. 2E BSO 9502 (era 8)
BR Mk. 2F TSO E5911 (era 7)
BR Mk. 2F FO M3374 (era 7)
BR Mk. 2F BSO M9519 (era 7)
BR Intercity Mk. 2F TSO M6011 (era 7)
BR Intercity Mk. 2F FO M3345 (era 7)
BR Intercity Mk. 2F BSO M9534 (era 7)
BR Intercity Mk. 3 TSO E42139 (era 7)
BR Intercity Mk. 3 TSO E42140 (era 7)
BR Intercity Mk. 3 TSO E42141 (era 7)
BR Intercity Mk. 3 TGS E44048 (era 7)
BR Intercity Mk. 3 TF E41071 (era 7)
BR Intercity Mk. 3 TF E40172 (era 7)
BR Intercity Mk. 3 RB E40728 (era 7)
BR Intercity Mk. 3 TSO 42199 (era 8)
BR Intercity Mk. 3 TSO 42198 (era 8)
BR Intercity Mk. 3 TSO 42197 (era 8)
BR Intercity Mk. 3 TGS 44063 (era 8)
BR Intercity Mk. 3 TF 41099 (era 8)
BR Intercity Mk. 3 TF 41100 (era 8)
BR Intercity Mk. 3 RB 40711 (era 8)
BR GWR Mk. 3 TSO 42301 (era 11)
BR GWR Mk. 3 TSO 42299 (era 11)
BR GWR Mk. 3 TSO 42351 (era 11)
BR GWR Mk. 3 TSO 42300 (era 11)
BR GWR Mk. 3 TF 41146 (era 11)
BR GWR Mk. 3 TGS 44040 (era 11)
BR GWR Mk. 3 Buffet 40715 (era 11)
HAA hopper BR Railfreight (era 8) (different numbers available)
HAA hopper BR coal sector (era 8) (different numbers available)
21T mineral wagon (eras 4-6) (different numbers available)
TTA tank wagon (different numbers/liveries available)

Track

tt8030_1.webp%3Ffit=1

Hornby TT:120 track

Uncoupler ramp
Quarter curve first radius 
Half straight track
Half curve in first, second, third and fourth radius
Diamond crossing in L/H and R/H
Curve in first, second, third, fourth and sixth radius
L/H and R/H point
Buffer stop
Quarter straight track
Straight track
Power connecting track
Locomotive and rolling stock railer 
Power connecting clip
Digital power connecting clip
Digital power connecting track
Fishplate pack

Buildings

tt9002_1.webp%3Ffit=1

Hornby TT:120 building

Footbridge
S&C Dent station
S&C Waiting room
S&C signal box
Water tower
Engine shed
Goods shed
Straight platform
Platform ramp
Small church
Mason's Arms
1930s-style bungalow
Blinkbonny house
Terraced house
Fornbes Menswear
Patience the Jewellers

Online brochure -https://d63oxfkn1m8sf.cloudfront.net/7016/6513/9759/2022_Hornby_TT_Brochure_32pp_AW_ANALOGUE_WEB_OUTPUT_04_10_22_V2.pdf

image.png

Simon Kohler has stated Hornby's TT range is to be offered as direct-sales only, meaning that products will be available to purchase via its website only, rather than being available in model shops. A discount of 15% is offered on some products to members of their TT club.

image.png

Two HST Train sets

HST train set 

And LNER East Coast Mainline HST train set

They both sound amazing where are they please? 

I couldn't see them anywhere? 

5 minutes ago, Trains4U said:

Yes, customers did flock to  O gauge, but most saw the models at shows or in shops.

online only is a huge mistake, but hey, at least I don’t need to make space in my shop for it.  TT may well be notable by its complete absence in the very places that advocate the hobby.

I agree, they are attempting to grow/grab a market outside of the modelling community, create a new group of 'Hornby' enthusiasts who would never look at a different type of box - those who did not know about Bachmann or Heljan and would happily buy a Lima heritage class 66.

And with the first two sets they are targetting Grandparents who remember TT and thinking about buying a set for their grandchildren - an A4 and an A3 - very red box thinking.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, RateTheFreight said:

Membership to the ‘TT’ club is currently free instead of £30 for a limited time for anyone interested. 

G

Well it’d be rather daft to pay when there’s no actual product to get the discount on 😆 

Will be interesting to see when it’s (actually) going to turn up . . . .

3 minutes ago, Talltim said:

What have I missed? Which of these are duplicates? I found the Heljan 31 which Hornby aren't doing. There's some Peco track which could sort of be called duplicates

31 (along with 37, 60 and 47) mentioned in the brochure as Phase 3/4 releases.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, MikeParkin65 said:

Think you've answered your own question there - Hornby can sell the entire package to a new customer base.  No direct competition, they can sell you are complete trainset and you can build on that. Back to Hornby's core business model. Good news for existing modellers too both in keeping Hornby sustainable and allowing the newer manufacturers more space to flourish. 

What new customer base? I don't recall seeing a massive groundswell of frustrated TT modellers constantly posting around the web demanding models. And only selling to those who happen to look on the Hornby website? You make a massive investment in a new range for a scale that all but died out, and then immediately limit its sales potential by not moving it through the trade. It's all even more bonkers than I already thought it was! 

Anyway, I'm sure they'll flog a few sets then it'll die quietly in the inevitable fire sale (or catch fire followed by an insurance claim.....)

Tom. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

This is in the field of dreams build it and they will come. Hornby have to an extent not gone down the n gauge route. But have looked at the heritage of there own company. Would have been good if they had done Castle, Original Merchant Navy, class 31 and a Jinty. Yes I had all of them many many years ago. 

Well done Hornby bring it on. Just need Wayne to do points slips etc…..

Keith

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Steven B said:

The HAA hoppers are an odd choice given they were on their last legs when the 66 were built. Where's the 20, 37, 47, 56 or 58?

Steven B.

Simon has just said "watch this space" in regards to that.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, RyanN91 said:

Two HST Train sets

HST train set 

And LNER East Coast Mainline HST train set

They both sound amazing where are they please? 

I couldn't see them anywhere? 

Erroneous information provided. I'll edit the post.

HST train packs...

image.png

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I see they're perpetuating the huge gap in their 00 LMS coach range by ignoring a composite. Jumping in with both feet is one thing, but I hope they don't just repeat what they've done in 00 and actually fill the gaps this time.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, Talltim said:

What have I missed? Which of these are duplicates? I found the Heljan 31 which Hornby aren't doing. There's some Peco track which could sort of be called duplicates. Theres the Gaugemaster 66, which will be a direct dup.

3 minutes ago, dseagull said:

31 (along with 37, 60 and 47) mentioned in the brochure as Phase 3/4 releases.

Plus the 08 and J94, which Heljan said they were looking at doing after the 31. And Peco's seven-plank wagon.

• Like 2