Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

14 minutes ago, eldomtom2 said:

Castle, 57XX, and Collett coaches coming later. See the brochure.

What brochure?

I looked online and it's all LNER, a bit of LMS, modern and a few coaches and wagons.

https://uk.Hornby.com/catalogue/hornbytt120/locomotives?encoded=TY7LCsIwEEV_pavuBOvGboLgAxcqCioupIRpGmswZspkIvbvDYqa5Tkzl3snFly7A76KK5Kr-0G45RdjWZM_LyG0uhI_3iAjJXw3TnZkVPwZ_iU8v7IY__VxlS0IkvBJ196wzhZPZYM3j7RoPptlewYOPpE70oMtNTpdMCVwTbooIsSRvfwYWffVuSNsgmKp0Fqt2KCrxOGQrVHhHTk2-7yDVkvTiGI0LMdl7pE4RkX5PojiBQ

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Steamport Southport said:

If you look under "Publication" you will be able to download the TT brochure with these details. 

• Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, Trains4U said:

The issue comes when the target “Family” get their set, then traipse over to their local model shop to get a new wagon or piece of track and find there is nothing there for them and no support for the products they’ve purchased.

They will be subsumed into the social media, the kids will pour over the website like we did as kids on the brochures.

They want a captive market, especially if the other manufacturers start offering models, you don't want them to know that Heljan or Bachmann or even Accurascale do a better model class 31, 37 or 47 etc

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Wow, the sheer scale of this is breathtaking.

I get that the low hanging fruit has gone in OO. So here they are opening up a complete new scale or dimension. Many more opportunities if they can get people to convert. A bit of a risk but they are certainly going all in with a huge selection which will help getting people to convert.  They are cleverly dangling the prospect of more models like a 37 and 47 ahead too . Interestingly also a 31. Perhaps first duplication !

Very big surprise. 

I think probably the biggest thing in model railways for years.  Very exciting. Tempered by it only being available on line (clever Hornby)- so model shops will lose out - but probably they will pick up on other manufacturers when they make stuff available .

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

So is this the TT development they dropped a few years back, or is it a rework of that, or is it a completely new TT development..  Doesn't matter in many respects but there could have been a need to spend a lot of money twice if the earlier redevelopment of the range was TT3.  Maybe some of it will show through in their accounts at some time.

Anyway that apart it really is a very good marketing to try to develop and quickly exploit a market area with minimal current competition.  So a good chance to clean up very quickly with a real innovation from the move into a new market area.  For that bit Hornby should be applauded but it is only going to work if they deliver the goods and get the quality and pricing right and offer the sort of post sale product support that retailers can achieve.

• Like 2
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Trains4U said:

The issue comes when the target “Family” get their set, then traipse over to their local model shop to get a new wagon or piece of track and find there is nothing there for them and no support for the products they’ve purchased.

I suspect they wont be including the list of stockists in the train sets! If they've bought it from the Hornby website in the first place, I'm pretty sure they'll be made aware that they need to get new stuff from the same website.

Plus what about other TT stuff that shops may well have, eg from Peco, Gaugemaster or Heljan?

• Agree 5

17 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Think you've answered your own question there - Hornby can sell the entire package to a new customer base.  No direct competition, they can sell you are complete trainset and you can build on that. Back to Hornby's core business model. Good news for existing modellers too both in keeping Hornby sustainable and allowing the newer manufacturers more space to flourish. 

And it is a good size for people with less space and bigger than N for smaller fingers. I'm really surprised how much they have been are going for it; I for one am impressed. I hope they make some European models too. 🐢

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Given how much Hornby mucked up the Tier list & offended model shops for OO gauge & how poor/unreliable some of their newer models have been I'll be waiting for others to spend their £££s before I think of it.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Trains4U said:

Thats where the competition will cash in. I'm sure Heljan won't be exclusive online sales 😉

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Surprisingly no small steam tank engine in Phase 1 or 2.  J94 and 57XX promised in Phase 3/4.  Jinty obvious omission.  Wonder why they went for a 50 instead of a 37 or 47 on initial release ?

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Legend said:

Surprisingly no small steam tank engine in Phase 1 or 2.  J94 and 57XX promised in Phase 3/4.  Jinty obvious omission.  Wonder why they went for a 50 instead of a 37 or 47 on initial release ?

By the sounds of it, it was because they had a detailed version of the 50 already on the drawing board (in OO), while their 37 and 47 would need re-working from scratch. 

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 minutes ago, Zunnan said:

Thats where the competition will cash in. I'm sure Heljan won't be exclusive online sales 😉

Indeed....

If I'm Heljan looking at this, I'm delighted. Someone else is paying for my (non modelling press) marketing! 

Delighted with my new train set, let's go to the model shop to get something new for it. 

"Hi, do you have any Hornby TT?"

"No sir, afraid not - but we've just got these stunning TT Class 31's in"

"Wow, they look great, I'll take one please - and several of those long straight tracks, I didn't think Hornby did ones that long, they will save me a fortune"

"....Hornby don't, Sir."

etc. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

Thoroughly unconvincing narrative from Simon Kohler in my view. He wants to go big on publicity with social media and large newspaper ads etc, but doesn't want to appear in shops - huh? And despite his reasoning that smaller space is much more a factor these days, his obsession with large locos and express trains continues unabated.

• Like 2
  • Agree 13
  • Round of applause 1

Thats a surprise. Starting with those Gresley Parade Main Line Pacifics is a good choice. As an ER Fan those Sets would be auto-buy for me.

I guess that "Online exclusive" point is only for some time until Hornby could see how their new TT range is accepted by the market and maybe after some time the open their range for retailers. I don't can see this will be permanently.

If go wrong and "Hornby TT" will stay permanently online exclusive and exclude retailers - sorry Hornby you will fail.

Edited by Stefen1988
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, davidw said:

Bit bizarre.

Its not really. They are keeping the profit to themselves . Quite a shrewd business move  but a bit of a gamble . Assumes people will readily take to ordering on line instead of trotting down to their model shop

• Like 2
  • Agree 3