Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

14 minutes ago, TomE said:

What new customer base? I don't recall seeing a massive groundswell of frustrated TT modellers constantly posting around the web demanding models. And only selling to those who happen to look on the Hornby website? You make a massive investment in a new range for a scale that all but died out, and then immediately limit its sales potential by not moving it through the trade. It's all even more bonkers than I already thought it was! 

Anyway, I'm sure they'll flog a few sets then it'll die quietly in the inevitable fire sale (or catch fire followed by an insurance claim.....)

Tom. 

You won't because they didn't necessarily exist until this morning. Kohler is right, as is Heljan and PECO by saying that houses are smaller and for 1/3rd less space you can put in so much more. N's way too fiddly having dabbled in it myself back in my 20s!

They key is 1:120 is the same as every other TT manufacturer across the world, meaning there's no more "awkward" sales to europeans or Americans with oversized locomotives lolloping around H0 layouts. All of this will be nice, neat and unified.

Also, online only means I can now order this in a half dozen clicks without getting up off my backside from the sofa. No wandering to the shops to find "oh no, it don't sell mate" or "Oh I don't have a trade account with them any more" or anything else awkward. Or in my case a 40 minute drive to park on a street I have to keep one eye out of so I dont get a ticket to my nearest brick and mortar store.

It also means Hornby no longer loses 40% with the discount to shop sale. Meaning more money directly into Hornby's pocket.

The range is exactly what the non-railway-modeller buys because they "like trains", they recognise the locos and rolling stock as either stuff they see on the railway they walk past or travel on. They know Scotsman and A4. Others know the Princess and Duchess. Everyone knows the 66 and HST.

It also means they're betting big, meaning they smelt something from the way PECO and Heljan were making noises.

• Like 3
  • Agree 9
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, dseagull said:

Indeed....

If I'm Heljan looking at this, I'm delighted. Someone else is paying for my (non modelling press) marketing! 

Delighted with my new train set, let's go to the model shop to get something new for it. 

"Hi, do you have any Hornby TT?"

"No sir, afraid not - but we've just got these stunning TT Class 31's in"

"Wow, they look great, I'll take one please - and several of those long straight tracks, I didn't think Hornby did ones that long, they will save me a fortune"

"....Hornby don't, Sir."

etc. 

And how will people be aware of the existence of Hornby TT? Via publicity by Hornby. Which will presumably direct them to the Hornby website. 

2 minutes ago, tommyliam021 said:

Interesting that the 66, which is the least detailed of the TT releases that they have in 00, is the cheapest. I wonder if they’ve simply shrunk the ex Lima model.

Stuck it in a tumble dryer on high for 20 minutes.

• Funny 4

Just now, JohnR said:

And how will people be aware of the existence of Hornby TT? Via publicity by Hornby. Which will presumably direct them to the Hornby website. 

Yep.

And then they'll do what everyone else who buys anything online does, stick it into Google (or Amazon!) to try and find a cheaper supplier - when they'll find out about all the other manufacturers goodies. Or, they'll go to a model shop, not unreasonably thinking that Hornby will be sold there, and be shown the alternatives.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One thing that hasn't been covered. What is the control system?  Are these models compatible with DCC, you would assume so.

I must admit being pretty excited by this. Was contemplating bringing OO layout out of loft and into home office when I retire, but now thinking maybe I'll keep layout in loft and start a fresh on TT. While I would never contemplate DCC for my existing set up. Too many locos, many very old, I would contemplate it for a brand-new TT layout. A new start is very exciting 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm guessing that this is also future proofing from Hornby.... Although I don't quite know what percentage of cost it is per model, but I suspect the price of plastic is only going to go upwards (and availability downwards) in the future, smaller scale means less plastic, cheaper tooling?, so therefore able to keep the price down (or keep a healthy profit margin perhaps?).

Shrewd move to go with the HST though, as most younger modellers seem to love them, my 12 year old nephew certainly does, although i'm surprised they haven't announced a Class 800 IET.

• Like 1

After pages of what seems like luke warm support here for this initiative,   @Din  has saved me typing time in his post.

All I need now is to sell my N gauge collection and purchase some Hornby TT as a replacement for my watch the train run layout. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, JohnR said:

There’s a thing called the internet, you may have hard of it. All the youngsters bang on about it. You want young blood in the hobby you go where they are. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 8

Just now, Legend said:

One thing that hasn't been covered. What is the control system?  Are these models compatible with DCC, you would assume so.

I must admit being pretty excited by this. Was contemplating bringing OO layout out of loft and into home office when I retire, but now thinking maybe I'll keep layout in loft and start a fresh on TT. While I would never contemplate DCC for my existing set up. Too many locos, many very old, I would contemplate it for a brand-new TT layout. A new start is very exciting 

Supplied DC only for now but fitted with Next18 socket, so to all intents and purposes they're DCC ready. It was mentioned that DCC and Sound is to come.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Legend said:

Catalogue says "DCC Ready". They also said they will offer Digital Sets.

Edited by Stefen1988
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Legend said:

I would hope that they all are fitted with, at the very least, a 6-pin* DCC socket.....

*Next18 sockets, as appears in the posts above....

Edited by Geep7

1 hour ago, RyanN91 said:

Wow the Hornby TT:120 certainly was unexpected! Vert exciting smaller than OO Gauge Bigger than N Gauge.  The range looks fantastic I'm surprised the range is as large as it is. Hornby if you are listing I would like an Hornby TT:120 InterCity 125 train set in original BR blue. WIth a oval of track, train controller mains and the rolling stock other than the Class 43 power cars in original BR Blue with one standard open MK3 coach and a first class MK3 coach.

This is in the catalogue (HST in BR blue/grey)

Edited by Mel_H
  • Like 1

Just now, farren said:

There’s a thing called the internet, you may have hard of it. All the youngsters bang on about it. You want young blood in the hobby you go where they are. 

This range will also get aimed very squarely at the kind of people that follow the "Big stars" on the internet that, again, don't necessarily "do" model railways due to space.

Think Francis Bourgoise (2.6m followers on Tiktok, 1.6m Instagram) Geoff Marshall etc etc.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, dseagull said:

Yep.

And then they'll do what everyone else who buys anything online does, stick it into Google (or Amazon!) to try and find a cheaper supplier - when they'll find out about all the other manufacturers goodies. Or, they'll go to a model shop, not unreasonably thinking that Hornby will be sold there, and be shown the alternatives.

The other manufacturers dont have a fraction of whats on offer here. Also, Heljan's 31 is more expensive than the Hornby 50.

I would love to know how much of Hornby's precious cash reserves have been spent on this.

I'm a natural pessimist and I don't see big sales in the short term to claw that money back.

Could this be the last of Hornby?

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 2

13 minutes ago, Stefen1988 said:

Thats a surprise. Starting with those Gresley Parade Main Line Pacifics is a good choice. As an ER Fan those Sets would be auto-buy for me.

I guess that "Online exclusive" point is only for some time until Hornby could see how their new TT range is accepted by the market and maybe after some time the open their range for retailers. I don't can see this will be permanently.

If go wrong and "Hornby TT" will stay permanently online exclusive and exclude retailers - sorry Hornby you will fail.

There are quite a few of the smaller OO manufacturers who offer online sales only; it doesn't seem to harm them. Model shops of course can sell the offerings in TT:120 from Peco, Heljan, Guagemaster and others, who will no doubt contribute...

• RMweb Premium

Can someone  throw me a lifebelt as I am drowning in the froth of 4 pages? 

What a great and innovative move by Hornby for those with limited budgets and space but really want to play with Trains.

The marketing will no doubt develop.

P

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Mel_H said:

This is in the catalogue (HST in BR blue/grey(

Thank you I know id love one as a train set all rolling stock track controller etc. Although for some reason i love it whenever Hornby issues them as complete train sets😀 Hopefully phase 4 will include one! 

10 minutes ago, Legend said:

I'm in a similar boat, have a lot of older/kits etc for certain Midland Railway prototypes and dont want to invest that much into trying to chip and sound them all!

But a new scale...

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Can someone  throw me a lifebelt as I am drowning in the froth of 4 pages? 

What a great and innovative move by Hornby for those with limited budgets and space but really want to play with Trains.

The marketing will no doubt develop.

P

You'll find it's quieter and less frothy on the TT:120 area of RMweb (well, it has been up to now). I'd suggest that's the place for those who genuinely want to model in this scale and discuss modelling. The rest might be best to stay on here, where they are of course most welcome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1