Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, meatloaf said:

One thing i didnt see mentioned is about the track. Im assuming its going to be code 55 like the peco pointwork?

Hopefully yes. That would allow them connectivity into other European ranges as I understand it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, meatloaf said:

Im assuming its going to be code 55 like the peco pointwork?

No information has been provided on specification, construction or detail. At all. On anything.

• Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, Trains4U said:

The issue comes when the target “Family” get their set, then traipse over to their local model shop to get a new wagon or piece of track and find there is nothing there for them and no support for the products they’ve purchased.

If they ordered their set online, the chances are they'll be making follow-up purchases the same way. If not, well, Peco and Heljan have them covered.

This is definitely a bold move, and I will be interested to see how it goes. Sets are a good idea if you want to hook people into your new scale, especially if you're looking to the beginners' market. I feel like they're aiming more at the serious modellers' market - there's a distinct lack of Coca-Cola wagons and Santa Expresses. The prices are also (mostly) rather attractive as compared to the 00 range. Certainly I'll admit that I'm tempted.

Edited by HonestTom
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

A few thoughts....

Surprised they didn't didn't revive the Triang name.

Why is the 66 so cheap?? 

Guess they're determined to drive a massive wedge between themselves and the retailers.

They've certainly tried to dominate this new scale but what if their products turn out to be crap, could take the whole project down with them.

Are we looking at genuine models or mock ups using 00 locos.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Tartaruga said:

And it is a good size for people with less space and bigger than N for smaller fingers. I'm really surprised how much they have been are going for it; I for one am impressed. I hope they make some European models too. 🐢

These are all European models, except maybe the 66 if you are being extra picky (I would never do that!)

Hornby have also been producing mainland European models in TT for a few years, since they bought Arnold.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

One thing i didnt see mentioned is about the track. Im assuming its going to be code 55 like the peco pointwork?

Yes, it is. Seen it mentioned somewhere that it is, and will be compatible with Peco's TT:120

4 minutes ago, Pmorgancym said:

A few thoughts....

Why is the 66 so cheap?? 

Guess they're determined to drive a massive wedge between themselves and the retailers.

They've certainly tried to dominate this new scale but what if their products turn out to be crap, could take the whole project down with them.

Hornby is a strong brand, Tri-ang is long dead, sadly.

Cheap Class 66 - well, I'm sure someone else will do an expensive one!

Edited by Mel_H
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

So what realistic stock is there for the 66’s to pull as I don’t think the Colas and GBRF are compatible with more than two tank liveries. 
<snip>
Not exactly joined up thinking on the first release for scale modelling 😉

It's in the brochure wagons part "The shape of things to come"

image.png.232db132c4ed5c68feeba1d89030733e.png

Edited by luke_stevens
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Pmorgancym said:

The A4s, A3s and Pullman coaches are certainly real, we saw them chuffing around in the video. Hornby are well known for using photoshop though to make new announcements seem further along than they actually are, so I would expect a lot of the same here. 

40 minutes ago, Legend said:

Its not really. They are keeping the profit to themselves . Quite a shrewd business move  but a bit of a gamble . Assumes people will readily take to ordering on line instead of trotting down to their model shop

That's why I consider it bizarre. We ( modellers, train nuts whatever we call ourselves) tend to like to see before we buy. The marketing would have to be pretty aggressive to put it in the public eye. 

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Talltim said:

These are all European models, except maybe the 66 if you are being extra picky (I would never do that!)

Hornby have also been producing mainland European models in TT for a few years, since they bought Arnold.

Is there a TT 66 in their European range?

1 minute ago, davidw said:

That's why I consider it bizarre. We ( modellers, train nuts whatever we call ourselves) tend to like to see before we buy. The marketing would have to be pretty aggressive to put it in the public eye. 

Let's be fair outside of our little.corner of the world people.ha e taken to buying pretty much everything online.  And the pre order concept is well established for model railways now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, nightstar.train said:

The A4s, A3s and Pullman coaches are certainly real, we saw them chuffing around in the video. Hornby are well known for using photoshop though to make new announcements seem further along than they actually are, so I would expect a lot of the same here. 

Since everything seems to be a duplicate of their 00 range, I'd imagine that's what they've done here.

1 minute ago, davidw said:

I wonder if they'll be taking it along to shows. A layout might help to convince a wary potential customer. 

4 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

I couldn't sit through Kohler, it's a cruel and unusual punishment I'm not putting myself through!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Pmorgancym said:

A few thoughts....

They no longer own the Triang brand name.

It was sold off during one their parent company's bankruptcies early 1970's (I think).

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Pmorgancym said:

Is there a TT 66 in their European range?

No, or perhaps the answer to that is 'not yet!'  Hornby do have a European TT range through the Arnold brand, so maybe the UK 66 will make its way into the Arnold range as well.

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Tartaruga said:

And it is a good size for people with less space and bigger than N for smaller fingers. I'm really surprised how much they have been are going for it; I for one am impressed. I hope they make some European models too. 🐢

Hornby's Arnold brand does TT120, although nothing showing for this year.

• RMweb Premium

The argument against the original TT was that model shops / retailers (I suppose there were more toy shops these days) didn't want to devote space selling both OO and TT ranges. I suppose there would have been confusion for general stores without knowledge of model railways having two systems to sell.  Perhaps that's one of the drivers in selling this only direct. I still think the major driver is they will retain a larger % of retail price as profit. 

Really an interesting approach. Not risk free,but calculated and for once with Hornby I have to say a clever piece of marketing.  It takes a lot to get me excited these days (I know sad isn't it) - but this has!

What puzzles me is where they have got all this capacity from. I presume it's a factory in China, but do we know where this is made?

It's certainly a new chapter for the company. They are going for it big time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I can certainly see the trainset value with these but beyond that I'm not sure?

Then again, a quick look at the catalogue, you could put together a nice little S&C scene with the Dent Station models and associated rolling stock.

Mixed freight hauled by a Black 5 (phase 3/4) and an express with a Duchess or Brit? Just need to use a bit of imagination!

• Like 1