Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

I believe the track is Tilling...

I’m not so sure unless it’s a new base they’ve moulded?

The images of the point sleeper webs look like Hornby set track style while the Tillig range look more like conventional Peco style?

https://www.tillig.com/Weichen_Kreuzungen-Seite-2.html

©️ Tillig

757965A4-110C-448D-B53A-43A66B75FFE3.jpeg.cf8611411427d366c8039db24168bb40.jpeg

©️ Hornby

CBCDC192-EB83-4142-8344-B20CE2698DC1.jpeg.857cb1a5a246ddefb3eae60cf8635b1f.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, PaulRhB said:

I’m not so sure unless it’s a new base they’ve moulded?

The images of the point sleeper webs look like Hornby set track style while the Tillig range look more like conventional Peco style?

https://www.tillig.com/Weichen_Kreuzungen-Seite-2.html

©️ Tillig

757965A4-110C-448D-B53A-43A66B75FFE3.jpeg.cf8611411427d366c8039db24168bb40.jpeg

©️ Hornby

CBCDC192-EB83-4142-8344-B20CE2698DC1.jpeg.857cb1a5a246ddefb3eae60cf8635b1f.jpeg

I didn't say it was existing Tilling... ;) 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

21 minutes ago, Stefen1988 said:

Auhagen (german company) offers buildings suited for TT & H0/00 alike.

Faller has a Castle model in it's H0 Range which is actual a N model offered as a "background object".

Auhagen's range is labeled TT/H0 and is to 1:100 scale according to their catalogue.

There are quite a few model buildings in the continental manufacturers H0 ranges that are nearer TT than H0, they tend to be ones that were brought out in the 60s and are still in production. Many of the Auhagen ones were ex Vero and known to be smaller, at least Auhagen have been honest, Faller and others still sell them as H0!

22 minutes ago, birdseyecircus said:

I don't model much OO gauge theses days but considering Hornby are OO gauge how many non modellers will get caught out trying to expand little Jimmy's train set only to find the trains don't fit the track.

Paul

Presumably like all online purchases, if you order the wrong item you can send it back to either exchange or refund. Hornby aren’t inventing e-commerce here.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Zunnan said:

Supplied DC only for now but fitted with Next18 socket, so to all intents and purposes they're DCC ready. It was mentioned that DCC and Sound is to come.

Hornby and NEXT18. Now I know it's

all a dream.

• Funny 4

4 hours ago, HonestTom said:

I've often thought I'd like to build a micro-layout based on the buffer end of a major terminus. True scale LNER Pacifics make me wonder if this is the chance.

Leeds city. Shortish trains, Pullmans also 

Hmmmm !!!!

Brit15

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

Also, in the first phases, they've made both Mk2E and Mk2F in Intercity Swallow livery with nothing to pull them, no 47 or 86/87. There's a Class 50 in the special GWR livery that might do. Even the announced releases for later phases don't include a Swallow 47, just an NSE one that might do. Additionally there are Mk2s in blue and grey with only a single Class 50 to pull them.

Seems they're reproducing all the big hits in TT, and not making a completely joined up offering. 

Hmmmm - fill in/move a couple of aircon Mk2 windows/doors. Paint them yellow.

31 and 37.

Sorted!

• Funny 1

I wonder how much of these are downscaled OO CAD. I may be stating the obvious, and also I know it's more than clicking a button to downscale it having done my fair share of CAD, but all that has been announced so far is stuff they already do, and given the 66 is the cheapest loco of the lot I think it's safe to presume it is of a lesser specification, just like their OO one.

5 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I wonder how much of these are downscaled OO CAD. I may be stating the obvious, and also I know it's more than clicking a button to downscale it having done my fair share of CAD, but all that has been announced so far is stuff they already do, and given the 66 is the cheapest loco of the lot I think it's safe to presume it is of a lesser specification, just like their OO one.

I wonder if the 66 will be a shared models between Arnold and Hornby, so can reduce the cost due to spreading the tooling charge.

If it is the Lima model scaled down, it’s not the worst model to work upon to do to detail and improve it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

At 14 pages its set the thread on fire, but only a handful are saying they are in.

True, however various modelling Facebook groups that I'm in have seen a much stronger positive reaction

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

There's some slightly odd livery choices for their releases such as a GBRF 50, 

One can only hope that they don't f*ck mess up the shade of blue on this one....

SK - are you listening?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, sjp23480 said:

All quite exciting, but did anyone spot this statement in the brochure:

"Introducing Hornby TT:120, a Table Top model railway format that uses an internationally recognised scale of 1:120 or in simple terms, 1” to 1’ and is a perfect scale for those of all ages who maybe limited for space"

Correctme if I am wrong, but 1" to 1' is 1:12? 

Isn't TT:120 - 1" to 10'?

Sorry to be pedantic, but little things do seem to bother me!

Also noted the statement on the last page of the brochure says:

"New releases

This catalogue shows items planned for introduction in 2022. Delivery periods may be subject to variation. The illustrations of such items show Hornby prototype or photo enhanced models which may not conform exactly to production versions."

Steve

Given SK was struggling to understand where 1:101.6 came from in TT-3, that is hardly surprising they got that wrong.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

At 14 pages its set the thread on fire, but only a handful are saying they are in.

Iirc Steampunk had a similar response.

Well I’d be in but I’d want to see some reviews of production mechanisms after the issues with the APT and 91. This is where Hornby’s indifference has hurt them most on top of the rather lamentable treatment of the OO market in general.   

I rather like the idea of an A4 and full set in around 5ft and the jump from N to TT means the pony wheels especially look finer and indistinguishable from the OO ones. 

13 minutes ago, Vanguard 5374 said:

I wonder if the 66 will be a shared models between Arnold and Hornby, so can reduce the cost due to spreading the tooling charge.

If it is the Lima model scaled down, it’s not the worst model to work upon to do to detail and improve it. 

Surely they just have the tools for the Lima model?

• Agree 1

As an original user of Triang TT (aged 5), I think this is a fantastic idea from Hornby. Just think of the huge TT:120 layout you could get into a space currently planned for 00. This has to be a brilliant way forward for many modellers, especially so, if they are at the planning stage of a new layout.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, 57xx said:

Given SK was struggling to understand where 1:101.6 came from in TT-3, that is hardly surprising they got that wrong.

Detail, detail, detail. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Well done Hornby , there's not many gaps in main stream 00 gauge ,unless you build your own , or super detail as in P4 , but Hornby can start again with TT 120 , I have already planed a "Minories" type layout using Anyrail and the new Peco TT 120 track  , luckly in 00 gauge I only have a Q1 , 4 SR coaches and a couple on Metcalfe card kits , so no big deal , I think that after Christmas a few more manufactures will produce TT 120 items , and with the rise of 3D printing , who knows

Edited by daryll
  • Like 2