Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Class 50, By Accurascale

2 hours ago, reddragon said:

I just can't order a Rodney, sorry not even with a rake of DEL or BOY wagons. There are much better names / better known locos for me, sorry AS

There's bound to be a few readers of this site who'll resent that remark - or perhaps a couple of Herberts or even a proper Charlie!

Maybe this should be on the ebay madness thread ... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394280076066

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, reddragon said:

I just can't order a Rodney, sorry not even with a rake of DEL or BOY wagons. There are much better names / better known locos for me, sorry AS

We could include some 'Dave' nameplates?

• Like 1
  • Funny 17

19 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

50041 returned to service in January 1985. Although it was withdrawn in April 1990, the Class 159s weren’t introduced until 1993 so BR could have got more than eight years of service from it if it had lasted until the end of 50s on the W-E line.

On the face of it BR still got far more use out of the repaired 50041 than it ever did out of Hymek D7048......

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/11/2022 at 16:18, woodenhead said:

Another one here at Birmingham - in this video there are also some refurbished 50s still in blue but with their headlights fitted.

Some more proper vac noise courtesy of 50024 at Paddington.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

50041 returned to service in January 1985. Although it was withdrawn in April 1990, the Class 159s weren’t introduced until 1993 so BR could have got more than eight years of service from it if it had lasted until the end of 50s on the W-E line.

Five more years service, didn't some 9Fs get less service than that from new?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, 47423 said:

A large logo Bulwark would be a definite purchase for me.  Overlooked by other manufacturers. I had a fair few miles out of it when it returned and it was talk of the school playground that day.

The cantrail grill (above the BR logo) on Bulwark post-repair had less louvers than all other Class 50s / the grill on the other side of 50 041, so another variation if there is ever a model of 50 041.

I was a schoolboy living in Penzance at the time of Bulwark's crash and the Dad of a friend at school was a Penzance train driver.  The evening before the crash we were lucky enough to have a cab ride on 50 041 when it coupled up to the the sleeper (difficult to imagine now).  So it was a bit of a shock the next morning to hear on the radio that the engine I had rode on the previous evening had crashed entering Paddington!

if a model was ever produced, because of that connection, I will certainty purchase one as well - to go with 50 021 already ordered.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

If I were in the market for a 50 Rodney would be my first choice for exactly the reason people above don't want it 🤪

However, having two deltics already, plus two 37s and an 89 on order - none of which are anywhere near my modelling era, I've had to resist this time!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tom - vac said:

The cantrail grill (above the BR logo) on Bulwark post-repair had less louvers than all other Class 50s / the grill on the other side of 50 041, so another variation if there is ever a model of 50 041.

I was a schoolboy living in Penzance at the time of Bulwark's crash and the Dad of a friend at school was a Penzance train driver.  The evening before the crash we were lucky enough to have a cab ride on 50 041 when it coupled up to the the sleeper (difficult to imagine now).  So it was a bit of a shock the next morning to hear on the radio that the engine I had rode on the previous evening had crashed entering Paddington!

if a model was ever produced, because of that connection, I will certainty purchase one as well - to go with 50 021 already ordered.

I have ordered 21 too. A await to see what else is offered but Bulwark would be a definite 

• RMweb Gold
On 01/12/2022 at 11:15, The Stationmaster said:

Don't forget that refurbishment coincided with their time for a major works visit and they worked a lot better after the refurbishment than they had before.  If you could improve reliability in a class that definitely needed improvement and get more useful work out of them when nothing else was available then it was hardly a bad investment.

Or what did you do instead - cancel half your timetable and wait for something else to come along?  (When there was nothing else available to come along.)

It’s a shame that they couldn’t replace the troublesome generator with a alternator (lack of space quoted) at refurbishment as that could have allowed the class probably, a good 10-15 extra years of life.  There was talk in the mid 80’s of ending the ECML electrification north of Newcastle and double headed Class 50’s heading Inter City trains between Newcastle, Edinburgh, Glasgow and points north.

When I was at Westbury, a number of older ex BR men used to say that, after 50041’s repair, the door between the cab and engine room at one end, was difficult to open or near on impossible to shut, because the body shell had a very slight twist to it.  Also like to mention that, when 50041 was taken to Doncaster works, it’s fate wasn’t certain and a budget was put on it for repairs.  It was very, very close.

Edited by jools1959
Spelling
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 30/11/2022 at 23:58, rob D2 said:

Pretty rubbish weren’t they ? Refurbished 1981-84 ish , all out of service by 91-92 ? The appeal for me is braking up the monotony on the GWML, the bold livery and the fantastic names ( except….bloody …Rodney ,Rodney or revenge ? A dish best served cold…),

IIRC the guys said with the deltic that the numbers would come off with a cocktail stick , hopefully that’ll be the case here and the cantrail too….

On the other hand, HMS Rodney had quite a record for a battleship. Her 16in shells putting Bismarck out of action quite quickly despite many key personnel not being on board at the time (she was sailing to the US for refit and repair at the time). 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Rodney_(29) 

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1