Heljan OO Newton Chambers Car Transporter

AY Mod

43 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Strange they are in packs of three. Seems a common number now.

I was under the impression they usually worked in 4 or 8 car sets. In later years there was 5 with one being a spare.

Jason

Scale length trains can often look too long because most layouts are compressed. It helps to hide this if the trains are also a little shorter so I completely understand a manufacturer releasing a 'short but acceptable' set.

My own layout contains minimal compression. The scenic section is a part of the WCML, between a tunnel & bridge set the correct distance apart.

I have a full length HST but it looks far too long. If I removed a TS & TF to make 6, I doubt this would look strange at all.  My 14 coach APT is obviously longer. It seems to go on forever. A 10 wagon freightliner looks decent behind pairs of 37s or 86s even though they should really be 20-25 wagons.

I think I hooked up 14 HEAs once. This looked plenty long enough.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, 61661 said:

I know I'm biased, but they are even better than the livery artwork. The samples received this week have a real 'wow' factor. 

Any chance of photos for those who are too far/ unable to get to Warley?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Congratulations to Heljan on this announcement!

These car transporters were only just outside High Polling in The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

You are going to need a new poll soon, so many items now having been picked off

• Agree 7

2 hours ago, davidw said:

Any chance of photos for those who are too far/ unable to get to Warley?

We'll take some photos on Friday/Saturday when everything has been unpacked and share them on our Facebook page asap. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

It seems some of the late surviving examples e.g. 99294/5/9 had blue roofs again towards the end of service, underneath all the grime.

They were worked pretty hard over the years, with it seems all 14 diagrammed during the summer period in 1969. This was the only year they worked in and out of Kensington Olympia on Fridays and Saturdays from Newton Abbot.

2 hours ago, Cass7117 said:

I'd love a couple of these but not sure I can stretch to a three pack. Is there any chance they'll be available singly in the future?

It may be worth tying-up with someone on here; for instance, I reckon I will take a maroon triple but only need two B&G, and I don't think those requirements will be unique.    

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

And here at Kensington Olympia with a Western, arriving from Newton Abbot.

p2119497898-5.jpg

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p138684853/h7e54f8aa#h7e54f8aa

p1055250558-5.jpg

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p708567963/h3ee5d87e#h3ee5d87e

Brilliant ! Thanks for sharing

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

Anyone looking for evidence of TCVs off the ECML just type Warship Newton Abbot in to a Facebook search … there are at least two pictures with them in the background, off the Stirling train. 

@Downendian may have more…

Indeed Phil - we had a discussion about this earlier. I had no idea they worked onto the WR. May consider a purchase. Classic traction at NA with a TCV just making a background appearance. My excuse is I was distracted by the foreground.

Neil 

C877A307-AA2F-4E84-A8BA-D0193865131F.jpeg.7d23ce3936b02f4adae95fddd45de624.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Downendian said:

Indeed Phil - we had a discussion about this earlier. I had no idea they worked onto the WR. May consider a purchase. Classic traction at NA with a TCV just making a background appearance. My excuse is I was distracted by the foreground.

Neil 

C877A307-AA2F-4E84-A8BA-D0193865131F.jpeg.7d23ce3936b02f4adae95fddd45de624.jpeg

Brilliant photo Neil thanks for posting 

• Like 2