Hornby 2023 - New tooling - DELTIC prototype - Hornby Dublo

AY Mod

• Moderators

Deltic 2.jpg

Hornby announce die-cast bodied Hornby Dublo DELTIC prototype.

Deltic 1.jpg

R30297 Availability DEC 2023 

RRP £320.99

DCC Ready 21 pin socket

Minimum Curve (mm) Radius 2

Motor 5 Pole Skew wound

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

16 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

Isn't the Bachmann NRM one good enough?  I love DP1 but I don't understand this from Hornby.

When did Bachmann last release a model of DP1 for OO? Quick look on ebay reveals some customers are happy to pay £200-£350 for a model of the loco, if it is a limited release by Hornby I am sure they will be able to sell a few batches.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

Just now, Vanguard 5374 said:

When did Bachmann last release a model of DP1 for OO? Quick look on ebay reveals some customers are happy to pay £200-£350 for a model of the loco, if it is a limited release by Hornby I am sure they will be able to sell a few batches.

Point taken, but Hornby's investment in tooling seems risky given that Bachmann could (presumably) push the button on another batch.  If I were Bachmann, I would.

• Like 1
  • Agree 11

1 minute ago, rogerzilla said:

Point taken, but Hornby's investment in tooling seems risky given that Bachmann could (presumably) push the button on another batch.  If I were Bachmann, I would.

It's been a few years since Bachmann did a release that wasn't a Graham Farish model. Perhaps the chance to do so has now gone, duplicating an exact loco for the same market isn't going to benefit anyone. They had their time to make another run, I'm glad to see Hornby have a go at it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I take it that the photos are the actual prototype so maybe some dev work to do.

I've lost track of who owns the loco now... Anyway a bit of a surprise this one and I'm perfectly happy with my Bachmann one to want another which is hard to beat. I do wonder.

DP2 next?

• Like 2

Clever selection, I'll be getting one in tribute to my late father who was raised within the sound of the Binns Road works hooter, and who saw the prototype on the main line passing the back of the house in Wavertree. 

A really apt and fitting addition to the HD range and the real thing even ran to Leith Central using the Waverley route, whilst being trialled, so mine won't need to stay a shelf-queen!  

Seriously, great piece of eye-catching competition here, well done Hornby.

• Like 7
  • Funny 3

This is a perplexing and frankly bizarre choice. If this year is indeed a catch-up year for Hornby and money for new tooling is limited, I would have picked something more useful to the modeller with plenty of potential for re-runs and different liveries. DELTIC is iconic, but surely anyone who really wants one has one already, and anyone who hasn't can buy the Bachmann model for far less.

• Like 3
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium

I wasn't expecting this one, but a diecast metal Deltic will be very nice if done well. The Bachmann model tends to be quite expensive, and this will appeal to collectors as well as those wanting a model of the prototype. I will try and get one of these.

• Like 3

And in terms of unltimate accuracy, they've even made the big dummy headlight work! Even the real one didn't do that!

I really don't understand why they've gone for something covered well already, in a model that still holds up well today, despite being a good few years old. Hey ho, it's not my money!

Cheers

J

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, JaymzHatstand said:

And in terms of unltimate accuracy, they've even made the big dummy headlight work! Even the real one didn't do that!

For some reason, the working lights remind me of the classic Transcontinental Dock Shunter. This is a good thing.

And it's sad, but I really quite fancy one because of this. I love a gizmo!

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 7

Just now, MikeParkin65 said:

Believe DP1 is shorter than the production version

They could produce an injection-moulded pale blue 9006 'Fife and Forfar Yeomanry' on this new chassis as an introduction to the 'Lima Heritage' range! 

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

I don't understand this one from Hornby a one off prototype that only carried one livery. A model that has already been done by Bachmann and done extremely well. If you want a model of deltic chances are you have already bought the Bachmann one. Which is also much cheaper.

Instead of wasting all the development costs they could have done something else Instead something with more livery variations that they could sell more of. 

If they wanted to do a prototype loco they could have done the prototype HST power car. If they wanted to duplicate a Bachmann model they could have done a class 47 there are enough livery variations to make that worthwhile. 

This seems a bizarre decision by Hornby. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 9