Hornby 2023 - New tooling - DELTIC prototype - Hornby Dublo

AY Mod

TBH I don't model in 00, TBH I don't model British, but that looks a fantastic model and it just about matches the length of the hole in my showcase. I used to have a Hornby Dublo layout in the 1960's. Need I say more! 

Well done Hornby!! 

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

I think we need to lay to rest the 'if they hadn't made this, then I could have had "x" ' themes that happens every time Hornby targets one of their other markets. Yes, if I am a scale modeller wanting a DP1 that market is served. But this is aiming for a niche that Bachmann can't fill which means it isn't duplication in terms of product to market; and whilst resources are finite, there isn't actually a formal system of model railway rationing in place that says if x is made, y can't exist. 

I have no doubt it will sell out. Probably quite quickly. If past Dublo runs are anything to go by there will only be 500 or so made.

The problem is, what happens next year? They can't re-run DP1 with a different number and a different livery. They can't re-run it as it is because it undermines the whole "limited collector's edition" USP.

Hornby's return on investment from this choice of subject is going to be very limited, which is precisely the last thing they need at a time of financial uncertainty. It will probably be a brilliant model and it's a real shame most of them will never leave their boxes.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, nathan70000 said:

The problem is, what happens next year? They can't re-run DP1 with a different number and a different livery. They can't re-run it as it is because it undermines the whole "limited collector's edition" USP.

Hornby's return on investment from this choice of subject is going to be very limited, which is precisely the last thing they need at a time of financial uncertainty. It will probably be a brilliant model and it's a real shame most of them will never leave their boxes.

Exactly my point. If they had done a production Deltic, they could have done D9001 St. Paddy this year, then D9012 Crepello next year (the two HD releases in the 60s) and followed up with others if there was demand. This limits them to this model, this year and thats it (for at least a decade or more).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Does this come with sound installed? Both press and Simon talked about it but there's no mention online and the R number doesn't indicate this either.

Any idea if this is a limited edition and if so what numbers? Normally it's just 500 but can't see this being the case.

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

This is something that those who don’t understand it will likely never understand, because like so much else about toy trains it’s irrational, often wrapped in post-hoc rationalisation.

I’m a metalophile, and find it odd that people are satisfied with plastic!

Im not much into Dublo specifically, but the other thing to be aware of is that most Dublo collectors run their trains, in fact they tend to give them a right thrashing, roaring round 15” curves, pulling draggy old coaches, for hours at a time, the great pride of real HD being that locos sixty or seventy years old happily do that with only basic maintenance and lubrication.

I think a significant portion of the appeal of Dublo is the sense of weight - that's partly the die cast body, partly the mechanism, partly the hefty rolling stock.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, nathan70000 said:

I have no doubt it will sell out. Probably quite quickly. If past Dublo runs are anything to go by there will only be 500 or so made.

They can run it in a different livery. Bachmann/NRM did just that!

The livery was different when it migrated to the ECML. Can't remember the exact details but they will be in the Bachmann thread.

Jason

Surely this will require significantly higher investment than the HD diecast steam locos since they utilized existing chassis, whereas there is no existing chassis for DP1 (Railroad model = 🤐!)

Edited by Halvarras
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I'm in. I have the original NRM version and several Bachmann / Accurascale production Deltics. I'm glad it's not due for a while so I can put a few bob away each week. I think the 500 limited run could be increased if its popular. The Purple MN was quickly doubled in run

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, E100 said:

Does this come with sound installed? Both press and Simon talked about it but there's no mention online and the R number doesn't indicate this either.

Any idea if this is a limited edition and if so what numbers? Normally it's just 500 but can't see this being the case.

Followed by another 500 with DCC on board, and another 500 with factory installed sound....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Philip Jackson said:

I'm in. I have the original NRM version and several Bachmann / Accurascale production Deltics. I'm glad it's not due for a while so I can put a few bob away each week. I think the 500 limited run could be increased if its popular. The Purple MN was quickly doubled in run

Don't hang about if you really want one.

A lot of the people who buy the Dublo editions might lose interest in future releases if one of them suddenly turned out to be much less exclusive than before.

Wouldn't be surprised by a "regular" version with a plastic body as a follow up, though. 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, E100 said:

As a £320 Dublo model, a lot of which I know are being provided with sound for a comparable price, I’d say there is a decent chance that it is

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

This is something that those who don’t understand it will likely never understand, because like so much else about toy trains it’s irrational, often wrapped in post-hoc rationalisation.

I’m a metalophile, and find it odd that people are satisfied with plastic!

Im not much into Dublo specifically, but the other thing to be aware of is that most Dublo collectors run their trains, in fact they tend to give them a right thrashing, roaring round 15” curves, pulling draggy old coaches, for hours at a time, the great pride of real HD being that locos sixty or seventy years old happily do that with only basic maintenance and lubrication.

The new alleged HD locos seem to share the same mechanisms (with moulded gears) as their plastic-bodied counterparts so I wouldn't fancy their chances of lasting very long with that sort of use.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, E100 said:

According to the Railway Modeller write up it comes with both sound, full lighting and working fans. 

Edited by MikeParkin65
Deleted possibly duff info
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Halvarras said:

Surely this will require significantly higher investment than the HD diecast steam locos since they utilized existing chassis, whereas there is no existing chassis for DP1 (Railroad model = 🤐!)

Just a new mainframe casting, they have everything else in the Class 50.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

According to the Railway Modeller write up it comes with both sound, full lighting and working fans. Making a few assumptions about how the new Hornby sound chips compare to a  'full fat' Lenz V5 and allowing for inflation and the fact that this model is at least 18 months away the £320 isnt a million miles away from what I expect a similar specced second release of Accurascale Deltics will cost. Noting the latter's planned Class 50 with similar specification (but plastic body) is already £299 on pre order. 

Described on Hornby's website as DCC Ready for your £320.99.

On that basis, I'd be surprised if Hornby would market a diecast-bodied Deltic with the full gubbins as listed above for much under £500.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 4

The "working nose light" will be interesting, as it's a leap into what-might-have-been.

Many DCC decoders have a function for a flashing Mars light, which is what should have gone in the hole, but it would look silly on a prototypical UK layout.  Some photos of DP1 appear to show the aperture glassed over and some just show a hole.  Hornby ideally need to recess the light so you can't tell it's there unless you turn it on.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, rogerzilla said:

The "working nose light" will be interesting, as it's a leap into what-might-have-been.

Many DCC decoders have a function for a flashing Mars light, which is what should have gone in the hole, but it would look silly on a prototypical UK layout.  Some photos of DP1 appear to show the aperture glassed over and some just show a hole.  Hornby ideally need to recess the light so you can't tell it's there unless you turn it on.

AIUI, the housing was included in the prototype with a view to it also being demonstrated in export markets, but it never accommodated a lamp, Mars or otherwise. 

• Agree 1