Warley NEC National Show 25th & 26th November 2023

Chris M

• Moderators
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I bet it was a bit of a shock having to pay to get in.😁

It's not what you know...

He may have demanded to pay; I've had to on occasion at some shows if it's not a work trip.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

A must-see (in my opinion) is a diorama/layout by the artist Neil Podbery - a brilliant exercise in perspective, scenic arts.... you name it.... absolutely stunning work. I wish I could do anything half that well!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

This has to be the longest queue for pre-paid tickets I’ve ever experienced at this exhibition.

Took longer to get the queue in as well due to the scanning of most of the tickets.

Not me, I had an old fashioned paper ticket, walked straight through once at the barrier, none of this new fangled online stuff that takes longer to process.............🙂

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Giles said:

A must-see (in my opinion) is a diorama/layout by the artist Neil Podbery - a brilliant exercise in perspective, scenic arts.... you name it.... absolutely stunning work. I wish I could do anything half that well!

What's it called please @Giles

• RMweb Premium

I had a good day today. Particularly liked Edington Junction and Shillingsford, but then I am a little biased towards SDJR modeling. I also really liked Hookton Riverside and Rosebury Goods. There were a lot of traders there and I wasn’t sure whether the concentration of so many traders was the point or whether they were supposed to be supplemental to the railways being exhibited. NEC food is rather expensive too…

I fully intend to attend next year.

Edited by RobAllen

Back in Manchester after a long day in Birmingham, quick report.

The M6 south was a breeze, arriving at 8:45, enough time to saunter to Starbucks for a coffee and a bacon roll before qeueing to get in in the pre-paid queue.  Come to think of it, paying to stand in queue sounds like a Monty Python sketch.

Straight to the back of the exhibition and slowly work forward - interesting the shape of the exhibits seems different this year - straight aisles from the entrance but not across the exhibition so I was a bit all over as I weaved my way down.   There was a big space at the back and another big space across the middle plus lots of aisle space, it never felt claustrophobic like it did in the pre-covid times.

Everything seemed grouped apart from 4mm layouts that seemed to fill gaps in the scale/area specific layouts - so there was a big 009 area with a lot of quality layouts - I probably spent 2 hours in that bit alone.   Then there was the N gauge area, the overseas content and the 7mm stuff then the sponsors / manufacturers with the exception of RevolutioN and Cavalex who were elsewhere in the hall.

It never felt too full except perhaps around Copenhagen Fields which I only ever got to see from the edge, but I've seen it loads of times.

If I had been looking for stuff the MCC Hobby centre had some Farish Mk1 coaches at £19 plus other bargains but I wasn't looking and no point buying stuff I don't need.   In fact all I bought were some Tantalums and a couple of stay alive controllers.

Left at 16:00, back to the car and a straightforward drive home.

The only hazard I had today was the Sun full face on at the intersection of the M6 and M6 Toll - it was too low for the sun blind and directly in front, was temporarily blinded which is not a good thing at 70 mph.  Luckily I had already noted the road ahead was clear and took my foot off the accelerator whilst I waited for the road to bend away from the sun.

No smelly people, no rucksacks and just one annoying person taking photos right in front of my field of view, but I'll let that pass.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

11 hours ago, MarkSG said:

OK, those of you who are there today, please report back later on your "Must see" layouts of the show for the benefit of those of us who are going tomorrow (it's always handy having someone else do your research for you!)……

3 hours ago, Giles said:

This diorama was about the only outstanding layout of any description, this year IMHO.

A shame the trains weren’t moving though.

There are a few other layouts that are very good, but not as if they’d knock your socks off, or have any sort of wow factor.

Unfortunately, and I don’t intend to upset or offend anyone here, there’s an awful lot of the average sort of stuff you’ve see at most local exhibitions, including a few dog eared efforts.

Lots of other stuff of interest though.

When you see the increasingly wider range of superb RTR models coming from the likes of Accurascale, Revolution, Rapido etc, all on display on their respective stands, it really drives home what an important and impactful effect these relatively new players are having on the hobby in the UK.

As Woodenhead say’s, it never felt claustrophobic or congested, anywhere in the hall, even if the crowds around a few layouts and trade stands, were quite heavy.

Everything was well spaced out, with no narrow aisles.

That big kettle is a beautiful beast.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, RobAllen said:

I had a good day today. Particularly liked Edington Junction and Shillingsford, but then I am a little biased towards SDJR modeling. I also really liked Hookton Riverside and Rosebury Goods. There were a lot of traders there and I wasn’t sure whether the concentration of so many traders was the point or whether they were supposed to be supplemental to the railways being exhibited. NEC food is rather expensive too…

I fully intend to attend next year.

There were actually fewer trade exhibitors this year than in recent years. Layouts were about the same as usual at around 90. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

@MarkSG I felt the 009 stuff was a good representation of the scale - usually I just have a quick look at the 009 but today I found myself amongst them for about 2 hours and was chatting to many exhibitors in that scale.

There is also Hewisbridge tucked away facing the food stands at the far right (position from entrance not politics 😁) of the hall, which is a lovely layout based on Scottish coalfields in late steam days and the 7mm selection had some interesting and large layouts.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

This diorama was about the only outstanding layout of any description, this year IMHO.

A shame the trains weren’t moving though.

There are a few other layouts that are very good, but not as if they’d knock your socks off, or have any sort of wow factor.

Unfortunately, and I don’t intend to upset or offend anyone here, there’s an awful lot of the average sort of stuff you’ve see at most local exhibitions, including a few dog eared efforts.

That big kettle is a beautiful beast.

I agree about the kettle but have to disagree about the layouts. Quite a few layouts did “blow my socks off” . I may well be biased but I thought there were a good number of excellent layouts. 

As a layout exhibitor I do take offence that you describe my layout as either “average sort of stuff or even dog eared.”    

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Giles said:

Where was this?

Just now, Gilbert said:

Where was this?

About 3/4 of the way down the hall of first aisle up from the entrance.

I did spot it but didn't realise it was a piece of art, there were a lot of people around it, and the trains could work there was were twin tracks round the back.

• Thanks 1