Class 66, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Very clever business move and definitely delivering something really positive for the hobby.  Now the $64,000 question - which you probably won't answer at this time in public - is does it extend to Hattons other adventure into r-t-r  (where a basically pretty good body was accompanied by some very strange mechanism arrangements and variable performance?   Only asking becai use I can think of various things it would really go with.

Strangely enough I was thinking exactly the same thing, a certain Hattons 0-4-2 fitted to an Accurascale chassis that actually works would be fantastic...

As for the 66, I think its great news to see the ex Hattons model return to production with some improvements.  Not entirely sure what there is to do better with the lighting (I'm sure with the right decoder you had access to everything already), but the improvements to the bogies in particular are welcome (not to mention that Accurascale will actually paint it the right colour)

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Gone to check the specs on the site of my personal favourite, the freightliner example and noted this little oddity at the bottom of the page. I can't imagine these are frequently bought together, but if they are presumably someone will have a head scratchy moment when one won't run on their layout!

Capture.JPG

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Plomax said:

Gee a 66 - we haven’t seen that before as RTR in OO have we?!?

The Bachmann and Hattons one already hold the place in the market - there isn’t a need to add further options….

Doesn't get my vote….

It is the Hattons one (which has not been available new other than as seconds for some time), just made better and available from any model shop not just Hattons....

• Agree 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, Plomax said:

The Bachmann and Hattons one already hold the place in the market - there isn’t a need to add further options….

Doesn't get my vote….

well you obviously haven’t read the article or watched the video. It is the Hattons model reworked

• Agree 10
  • Funny 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, HExpressD said:

someone will have a head scratchy moment when one won't run on their layout!

The DCC one will run and make (some) noises on DC.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Not a critique, just interesting how much more cable-y the 66 is/was compared to the 92.

image.png.c95e65ce4ef18a125c9849befe85d527.png

Accurascale 66 ^

image.png.d80ea744115a66d43707d755a1b0b817.png

Hattons 66 ^

image.png.487d21939b678ae6a4a5e81ec1bb40cd.png

Accurascale Class 92 ^

Clear improvements and no doubt more revisions. Looking forward to seeing the full range of 66s.

15 minutes ago, Plomax said:

Doesn't get my vote….

It is not designed to get your vote, but if you think logically, just regard the Accurascale 66 as replacing the Hattons production. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

1 minute ago, LMSfan72 said:

I wonder if the PCB mods will have logic ampliifers on board to allow a regular 21-pin MTC decoder rather than the MKL one that Hatton's used. That would allow the use of the cheaper Loksound 5 DCC chips as the other Accurascale models use.....

I guess Accurascale will simply fit their standard innards into the retooled bodyshell. Maybe make the exhaust silencer the removable "lid" to put the decoder slot underneath ? 

Must admit, I was very confused when I read the emails declaring 'the new model', quite simply thinking 'why the feck are they doing this - the Hattons' one is brilliant?' !!

Then I read the small print.

WELL DONE - The Hattons' 66 Patriot I have is an absolute gem - get the AB's rotating like they should aka Dapol's 59 and that 'gimmick' still looks great - no need to remove it.

The operation, power, and haulage are fantastic.

Should be a superb project.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, WCML100 said:

An award winning loco - Accurafied? 

Count me in! I have been trying to get some of the Hattons 66's but they are hard to come by! This solves the issue and adds in a bonus too 😁

I had bid on a EWS one several weeks back, but lost connection and missed out, it went for less than I was willing to bid as well, so I’m taking it as fate, especially given the good price of these. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Covkid said:

I guess Accurascale will simply fit their standard innards into the retooled bodyshell. Maybe make the exhaust silencer the removable "lid" to put the decoder slot underneath ? 

IMG_5498_600x600.jpg?v=1677004575

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

This is great. Really happy the Hattons 66 now gets another go. 
I have 2 of the Hattons jobs am quite happy with both. Could certainly find a place for the Accurascale version. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Congratulations of giving a great model, an Accurascale spruce up, to hopefully make it amazing. 

A couple of quick queries if I may.  The body to bogie pipes in the Hattons model are 'cut', with a piece on the bogie, and chassis part.  Have you by any chance looked at making it continuous by any chance?  I know Hattons said at the time they couldn't, but since then a HO Class 66 has managed it (I believe the ESU one?) so wondered if it was on the realms of possibility? 

Any chance of a chain on the handbrake mechanism on the bogie? 

One thing really lacking on the Hattons one is the 2 heated windscreen lines that were never printed on the glazing of each front window. 

Are you maintaining the same sound chip and configuration?  It just really drives nicely and can be operated pretty authentically. 

Thanks. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ncarter2 said:

I had bid on a EWS one several weeks back, but lost connection and missed out, it went for less than I was willing to bid as well, so I’m taking it as fate, especially given the good price of these. 

I too am impressed with the price of these. I mean, QC and axle box issues aside, it was hard to fault the Hattons model and I was waiting on another batch. So well done to Team Accurascale for taking this on and improving it - it both brings back and excellent model with widespread appeal back to the market, and fits in nicely with the Powering Britain range. 

Now… about 66s, ranges and Accurascale… What’s got to be next 😉

E4814F93-F96F-46B4-97C3-DE1F20650B6E.jpeg

A151FB0E-19CC-4924-9977-780B20E75106.jpeg

312806D9-E601-43A3-93F7-297145C73F01.jpeg

• Like 8