Class 66, By Accurascale

Each month I tell myself I’m going to start increasing my pension contributions before it gets too late. And each month Accurascale announce more items that I simply must have and scupper my good intentions 🤦🏻‍♂️😄. 66001 this time. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

33 minutes ago, NickL2008 said:

Was 005 the same? Respraying my Hattons one, it possibly is, but looks black to me?

NL

Not the best scan but no. 005 had black grills from new. 

Note the flush horn grill. 

Early mods included a new horn grill and for the EWS examples, the more obvious wing mirrors. 

(My photo)

66005.jpg

Edited by Denny
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Goodnight Sweetheart said:

I lost £90 over three locos (37, and two 92) when my circumstances changed last year hence why I’m a little uneasy regards any initial payments I don’t understand why it is / was required ? Although I understand what you’ve said it’s been dropped now, which is a welcomed move.

Under the Online and Distance Selling regulations you have a right to cancel for a full refund up to 14 days after the goods arrive and that includes ANY deposits even if at the time you cancel only a deposit has been paid and the goods have not yet arrived (despite what some retailers might have you think). 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

33 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Under the Online and Distance Selling regulations you have a right to cancel for a full refund up to 14 days after the goods arrive and that includes ANY deposits even if at the time you cancel only a deposit has been paid and the goods have not yet arrived (despite what some retailers might have you think). 

Unfortunately it was many months post order.

1 hour ago, NickL2008 said:

Was 005 the same? Respraying my Hattons one, it possibly is, but looks black to me?

NL

Nope, as Rich @The Fatadder commented after it was only 001 and 002 with the maroon grills.

To add to that, 002 retains it's maroon grills to this day, 001 kept them until painted DB red in 2013.

Both 001 and 002 have the screwlink coupling and class 59 lookalike dragbox.

This model really is in launch condition, as well as the flush horn grill and lack of mirrors, it also has the lamp brackets in the class 59 position. A very early mod was to move them to the standard 66 position, above the secondman's side BMAC light cluster.

Jo

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Goodnight Sweetheart said:

Unfortunately it was many months post order.

It's not post the order date your right to cancel for a full refund is before or up to 14 days after the goods arrive. 

Anyway back to sheds. 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Very good news on 66001, hopefully the Accurascale numbers will be as easy to remove as the Hattons ones were so I can switch it to 002, much as I dread the thought of applying numbers over those ribs again!

Hi, 

I am looking to renumber one of my EWS Hatton's 66's myself. I was wondering how easy it is to remove the numbers, espically the ones on the ribs? Also have you got any tips on how to put the new numbers / transfers over the rib sides.

Many Thanks

Chris

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

Not quite 100% true. The amount refunded may be reduced if the value of the goods has been affected as a result of you handling the item.

So, for example, if you opened the sealed accessory bag, took the body of a Hattons 66 and the paint flaked off the steps (lots of us have been there...) and then decided you just didn't want to keep the item even though all was good, the seller could argue that the good could not be resold as new and the value has been reduced.

Roy

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Creampot Junction said:

Hi, 

I am looking to renumber one of my EWS Hatton's 66's myself. I was wondering how easy it is to remove the numbers, espically the ones on the ribs? Also have you got any tips on how to put the new numbers / transfers over the rib sides.

Many Thanks

Chris

I used IPA as a softener and a blunted cocktail stick to scrape off the number.  (The printed number sort of reverts back to paint so you have to be careful not to stain the yellow.  I actually used this to touch up the holes where I filled the wing mirrors)

as for adding the new transfers, the old approach of liberal amounts of microsol/set is not advised with Railtec transfers.  I made sure to get a gloss finish where the new transfers were going, then followed the Railtec instructions (using a dash of pva with the transfer water) before sealing with another coat of Klear and then varnishing.  You really need to replace the EWS logo in its dodgy font at the same time for consistency (and certainly have to change all 5 numbers.)

hoping the same approach will be fine on the Accurascale model

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Goodnight Sweetheart said:

I lost £90 over three locos (37, and two 92) when my circumstances changed last year hence why I’m a little uneasy regards any initial payments I don’t understand why it is / was required ? Although I understand what you’ve said it’s been dropped now, which is a welcomed move.

If you paid £90 previously have you asked AS about putting it towards something you are ordering now? They've had your money already, and it is not as if they are left with huge overstocks of locos.

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Not quite 100% true. The amount refunded may be reduced if the value of the goods has been affected as a result of you handling the item.

So, for example, if you opened the sealed accessory bag, took the body of a Hattons 66 and the paint flaked off the steps (lots of us have been there...) and then decided you just didn't want to keep the item even though all was good, the seller could argue that the good could not be resold as new and the value has been reduced.

Roy

Indeed, although main point being made in response to the original post is that any deposit paid IS refundable under the regulations if you decide to cancel even if before delivery. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Indeed, although main point being made in response to the original post is that any deposit paid IS refundable under the regulations if you decide to cancel even if before delivery. 

If, it was a deposit which it was not. I’ve reached out directly to the OP and i’m sure as always we can look after him however. 

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, Denny said:

Not the best scan but no. 005 had black grills from new. 

Note the flush horn grill. 

Early mods included a new horn grill and for the EWS examples, the more obvious wing mirrors. 

(My photo)

66005.jpg

Yes definitely black, of course remember all the new 66s, but as it was 25 years ago memory is a little fuzzy!

Hattons shade is on the pale side so opted for a respray of it. @Creampot Junction I removed mine using enamel thinners and a cocktail stick, as @The Fatadder mentions, try not to run too hard as the gold paint is rather thin. Angle the stick up and down so to get the number off between and on the ribbed sides

Thanks everyone for confirming about 66005 - much appreciated gents

NL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Craig1989 said:

Will evening star come with the bell already fitted or separate?

cheers Craig 

Since we all want our trains as detailed as possible I'd rather want to know if it has a working bell-clapper! 🤪

No, just kidding. But out of curiosity; is the bell actually functional on the real model?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Ryan91 said:

Since we all want our trains as detailed as possible I'd rather want to know if it has a working bell-clapper! 🤪

No, just kidding. But out of curiosity; is the bell actually functional on the real model?

Yes the bell does work but it’s via a speaker apparently, there is a switch in the electrical cupboard to operate it. I keep forgetting to have a look for it when I’m on it 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Just to update on this, Accurascale have been in touch. I’ll say they’ve been exceptional, and I’m very pleased indeed !

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, McC said:

If, it was a deposit which it was not. I’ve reached out directly to the OP and i’m sure as always we can look after him however. 

Good that you are reaching out to the person concerned, thank you.  

Just for clarity, any payment whatever it is called, (deposit, part payment etc.) is still refundable in accordance with the UK  Regulations upon cancellation.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Good that you are reaching out to the person concerned, thank you.  

Just for clarity, any payment whatever it is called, (deposit, part payment etc.) is still refundable in accordance with the UK  Regulations upon cancellation.

Legally, if it's a part payment, probably, though under UK consumer law, 'deposits' and commitments to buy are not legally refundable,  which is why I made my point about you missing the point - for a period, we took reservation fees on locomotives due to the admin-heavy nature of the process, which were non refundable. Moot now, as we use a deferred payment commitment instead, which is automated and does not require the manual admin overhead, 

Edited by McC

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, McC said:

Legally, if it's a part payment, probably, though under UK consumer law, 'deposits' and commitments to buy are not legally refundable,  which is why I made my point about you missing the point - for a period, we took reservation fees on locomotives due to the admin-heavy nature of the process, which were non refundable. Moot now, as we use a deferred payment commitment instead, which is automated and does not require the manual admin overhead, 

This is not correct in accordance with the UK Online and Distance Selling Regulations which applies for any order placed online under the right to cancel.

Edited by Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

This is not correct in accordance with the UK Online and Distance Selling Regulations which applies for any order placed online and the right to cancel.

Aside from being off topic Graham, I'll defer to our actual legal team, who provided that our (legacy) reservation fees were not refundable in the event of a customer breach of contract, as provided for , and reconfirm that as we now use an automated platform, we're happy to refund any deposit or part payment advanced on any of our preorders as we, indeed, move to a no money down whatsoever model, with the launch of the J69 range, and  new Class 37 batch, and as we move forward. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 1