Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

In the real world I cannot ever recall...

6 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Steady. We've got this far without the P4undamentalists turning up with measurements and incantations of casting out narrow gauge.

Well, someone was bound to say it, but I am disappointed that it was you, Andy.

I don't consider myself a fundamentalist, but could point out the errors of the ways of those that tread the wrong path if you wish.

• Funny 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

but could point out the errors of the ways of those that tread the wrong path if you wish.

Don't worry, I think I may have heard the song.

Anyway; it's a light-hearted topic, as was my comment.

• Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Some of us have moved beyond even Christianity and are agnostic or even aetheist.

12 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

And you depict that on a layout, how?? 🤷‍♂️

If you can make moving figures, I've found the answer to my own question....

dgal68o_1f4a3cbf5fd77b01a7f966092ea5746b349025b3.gif.eccbc5fcb1ae59c42d0ddbd2cd69090b.gif

• Like 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, 97406 said:

There’s one left at Gaugemaster if you fancy modelling a piece of history 

Meh - the van should be an SUV and the single item carried should be a ludicrously over-filled shopping trolley.  Piles of toilet rolls on top over a base of dried and canned goods that "we don't usually eat" so will be thrown away when the supply chain does not actually break down completely.  I couldn't buy lentils for months - b*****ds.  For extra points a couple of exhausted and hungry health workers who have come off a nightmare shift to find the shelves empty.  Double b*****ds.

You can use the van for the guy who's bought up all the chest freezers in the district which he will put in his garage and then realise there isn't enough power in there for all of them.  The electrician will be round to fix this sometime in 2021.

Edited by Flying Pig
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Flying Pig said:

Meh - the van should be an SUV and the single item carried should be a ludicrously over-filled shopping trolley.  Piles of toilet rolls on top over a base of dried and canned goods that "we don't usually eat" so will be thrown away when the supply chain does not actually break down completely.  I couldn't buy lentils for months - b*****ds.  For extra points a couple of exhausted and hungry health workers who have come off a nightmare shift to find the shelves empty.  Double b*****ds.

You can use the van for the guy who's bought up all the chest freezers in the district which he will put in his garage and then realise there isn't enough power in there for all of them.  The electrician will be round to fix this sometime in 2021.

Ah sir, you must be after the English chav edition, not the German efficiency model.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
On 19/04/2023 at 14:22, TheQ said:

My mum, I'm told, used to listen for the whistle of the train leaving the next station on the line then run for it to go to school. When I model the foot bridge there will be a schoolgirl running across pigtails flying😄.

I give you image.png.95442952c6b3549ab18dc9bdfee5080e.png

Berney Arms station, best accessed by train or boat, alternatively a long walk across the marshes.

Sadly the pub is long since closed, so it's bird watchers mostly.. 868 passengers last year..  ( only 42 in 2019/20)

The station is required to stay open in perpetuity,  so it could only close if the line did..

A picture of someone's ideal layout a modern electric locomotive at one of England's smallest stations. It was on a surveyors special to measure up for single road TMD behind the platform and a goods shed the opposite side of the track to deal with wooden kellogs vans and brightly coloured private owner coal wagons with cars in them!

Berney arms is often used a stopping point on training runs 

DSC_1511.JPG

Edited by russ p
Spelling
  • Like 15

On 18/04/2023 at 23:32, melmerby said:

Birmingham 2022

But Birmingham is tricky. Was it Greater Birmingham, or was it sub-divided, removing one or more of Wolverhampton, Walsall, Aston, West Bromwich, Solihull, Sutton Coldfield, Coleshill, etc .... Which one you remove changes the results, but in different directions.

Bromsgrove less so, as its sole claims to fame are the radio transmitters and the Lickey Bank.

2 hours ago, DenysW said:

Bromsgrove less so, as its sole claims to fame are the radio transmitters and the Lickey Bank.

The transmitters are Droitwich as stated on the frequency strip of thousands of radios.

I don't think Bromsgrove could be lumped into any version of Birmingham, the Lickey Hills being a physical impediment.

Alan

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 20/04/2023 at 20:05, DenysW said:

But Birmingham is tricky. Was it Greater Birmingham, or was it sub-divided, removing one or more of Wolverhampton, Walsall, Aston, West Bromwich, Solihull, Sutton Coldfield, Coleshill, etc .... Which one you remove changes the results, but in different directions.

It was city of Birmingham figures which include Sutton Coldfield which is part of the City and has been since 1974. The total population of Birmingham was about 1.14million.

The Radio transmitters are officially 'Droitwich', they are actually in Wychbold, opposite the Webbs garden centre.

They come in the Wychavon District Council area.

Bromsgrove District Council covers most of North East Worcestershire, excluding Redditch.

Bromsgrove has a claim to fame - Bromsgrove School, founded as a grammar school in 1553 and one of the older public schools in the UK

Want send your child there? up to £14k per term, 3 terms per year. That's slightly less than Eton!

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 16/04/2023 at 04:23, BachelorBoy said:

Things I've seen frequently in the real world, but rarely on layouts.

1) Deep shadows

2) Black and South Asian people

How about these? 

Layout with shadows

Only problem is how to filter out the none model related ones! 

And I bet someone will be along to tell us that in the real world they never saw a Teddy Bear work a train so purposefully… 😀

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, melmerby said:

Bromsgrove District Council covers most of North Worcestershire, excluding Redditch.

Point of order, but North Worcestershire is generally considered to be the three districts of Wyre Forest, Bromsgrove and Redditch (as opposed to South Worcestershire which is Wychavon, Malvern Hills and Worcester City). Bromsgrove is, by a tad, the largest of the three in terms of area covered, but it certainly isn't most of North Worcestershire. And Wyre Forest is the most populous of the three.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2