Bachmann Summer 2023 speculation

nightstar.train

On 27/04/2023 at 08:50, Suzy Sulzer said:

My hope is that we see painted samples of the oo gauge class 25.                                                                                                                                         A two tone green Brush type 4 D1660  City of Truro. & another run ofclass 03 diesel shunters .

They could announce one of the Royal 47’s but I suspect Lady Diana Spencer is an unlikely candidate. :-)

Mark

• Funny 1

I notice that 99% of this is wishlisting for diesel and electric. Is it likely that Bachmann have pretty much given up on standard gauge steam? Is there anything steamwise still in the pipeline to come that has been previously announced?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Mark said:

They could announce one of the Royal 47’s but I suspect Lady Diana Spencer is an unlikely candidate. :-)

Mark

Already done got mine last year (Diana one).

Royal ones in the res inspired livery would be good though

Edited by Markwj

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Another run of their warflat would be most welcome and a ramp wagon to go with it would be nice.

No idea about the vagaries of the Australian postal service regarding postage and exchange rates but have a look here. Might be worth looking in to.

https://www.bygone-wagons.com/448184374

Unfortunately I can't see any one doing them RTR and the Genesis kit has disappeared.

Jason

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jamieb said:

I notice that 99% of this is wishlisting for diesel and electric. Is it likely that Bachmann have pretty much given up on standard gauge steam? Is there anything steamwise still in the pipeline to come that has been previously announced?

No new tooling.  I think several years have passed since Bachmann last announced a new steam loco for their own range. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Apart from the 2251 revamp as mentioned earlier, I'd suggest Bachmann have breathed their last, as far as GWR steam is concerned.  The age target continues to diminish, as us old bu66ers continue to die off. 

If Bachmann want to have a new Western steam model, may I suggest a Bulldog?  Bachmann have done nearly all of their own hard work with making the 90xx, so the Bulldog is only a hop, skip & jump away. 

Diesel locomotives? How about 15000, the Western 08 version, or Railcar 18? 

Could a new Toad, with different branding. Oh, hang on......

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jamieb said:

Maybe that is the way the market has gone.... Or is it more that Steam model Railway guys have given up on Bachmann.... I know I have.

How old is the 57xx 0-6-0PT tooling now? It is way overdue to be replaced. About 10 years ago on a Bachmann members open day (Both at the Bluebell Rly and also at the mid-Hants) I asked when it would be upgraded  - (with no Topfeed) -  they replied by saying they hoped they can release it at some point.

Since when they continue to bring out new versions of 64xx - but have offered nothing for earlier (1930's) modellers - the Sunshine carriages have even been dropped.

Whilst we know they have to share factory space with other Kader companies, it would be nice of we can get some 1930's GWR.

My suggestions would be:

• New GWR 0-6-0PT - 57xx; 2721 class; 2021 class - other turn of the century 0-6-0PT would be very acceptable.
  • New GWR Saint class 4-6-0
  • Bulldog 4-4-0 would also be nice.

Anyway, thats my penny worth, we will wait and see.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

No idea about the vagaries of the Australian postal service regarding postage and exchange rates

Yes, that has put me off before Jason but maybe it's time to take a deep breath and order it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Maybe that is the way the market has gone.... Or is it more that Steam model Railway guys have given up on Bachmann.... I know I have.

How old is the 57xx 0-6-0PT tooling now? It is way overdue to be replaced. About 10 years ago on a Bachmann members open day (Both at the Bluebell Rly and also at the mid-Hants) I asked when it would be upgraded  - (with no Topfeed) -  they replied by saying they hoped they can release it at some point.

Since when they continue to bring out new versions of 64xx - but have offered nothing for earlier (1930's) modellers - the Sunshine carriages have even been dropped.

Whilst we know they have to share factory space with other Kader companies, it would be nice of we can get some 1930's GWR.

My suggestions would be:

• New GWR 0-6-0PT - 57xx; 2721 class; 2021 class - other turn of the century 0-6-0PT would be very acceptable.
  • New GWR Saint class 4-6-0
  • Bulldog 4-4-0 would also be nice.

Anyway, thats my penny worth, we will wait and see.

Exactly my thoughts...

These days I look at the Bachmann announcement out of idle curiosity rather than any feeling of excitement.

The last time Bachmann had any of my money was for an "Earl".

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Star-rider said:

Exactly my thoughts...

These days I look at the Bachmann announcement out of idle curiosity rather than any feeling of excitement.

The last time Bachmann had any of my money was for an "Earl".

Other companies have taken over!

Looking forward to the A/s Manor arriving.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

And don't forget about N scale too, they should get an announcement but you can tell how much us N gaugers are not really expecting anything by the distinct lack of any speculation thread again!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On the new livery front we have yet to see either the CL117 or CL121 in GrSYP.

On the retooling front the Collett coaches must be due an update, given that Bachmann have now produced high quality mainline coaches to (post war) LMS, LNER and SR designs.

• Like 1

I always live in hope that Bachmann will announce a new tool standard gauge steam loco (either re-tool or something new) but become less hopeful every quarter.

They seem happy with upgrading existing models with new chassis's and better DCC interfaces ATM

Personally after multiple 2251s and Sunshine coaches though I see these coming from other manufacturers 

I would be happy with modern day FR Ladies mind 

On 28/04/2023 at 22:21, younGGuns7 said:

Well it wont happen but a Warship to the new standards would be welcome, may have to wait another 25 years, I probably wouldn’t see that then 🤦‍♂️

I assume you mean Swindon-built Class 42? For sure this fleet, which had the highest profile of the three Warship classes, is deserving of a modern upgrade to match the Class 43 and of course the chassis already exists although the gearing was not exactly optimal and, nice though the inclusion of engine detail visible through the engine room windows may be, the Maybachs probably looked a bit different..... In this day and age a new Class 42 Warship model would have to include the disc headcode variant, although these thirteen differed from the rest in several ways other than the ends (and D866-70 shared their train heating boiler vent arrangement) so I fear that, unlike the Class 43s which were all near-identical, the Class 42 tooling suite would be quite extensive and thus expensive. 

But who knows - it seems everything else is getting upgraded these days and a class of named Type 4s currently represented by an out-of-production basic tooling which can trace its origins back over four decades looks increasingly like an open goal. IMHO anyway 😊.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

17 hours ago, John M Upton said:

And don't forget about N scale too, they should get an announcement but you can tell how much us N gaugers are not really expecting anything by the distinct lack of any speculation thread again!

I was thinking the same, it is very notable that rightly or wrongly expectations are now so low as far as Farish is concerned that there is no longer much if any frothing at all.  Assuming the announcement is on Wednesday at the usual time, I don't know that I will be able to dial in to watch anyway, so will catch up on the announcements at my leisure afterwards in all probability. My expectations aren't that high, I would love to see a new tool steam loco, but I am not sure that is realistic any more, I know the quarterly method of announcements means theoretically anything is possible, but the cold hard truth is that there hasn't been a totally new steam loco since the 8F, which first broke cover mid-2018 and was released in November 2020 so that's five years from first announcememt 

Roy

Edited by Roy L S
added sentence

Yes pity these announcements which used to happen at weekends drifted into weekdays......yes some will be working at weekends but like a lot of things these days it seems to be geared towards looking after the minorities not majorities......

• Funny 1

I'd like a 14xx, but considering steam tends to be a rarity from Bachmann, seems to be little hope of that. 

TBF, their 37s and 47s do appeal and do fit my era, but I'm just waiting for Western Region variants to hit the shelves over here in Australia. Hardly anything in the right era/region on retailer shelves here atm, except for an overpriced Hall. 

24 minutes ago, ThaneofFife said:

Yes pity these announcements which used to happen at weekends drifted into weekdays......yes some will be working at weekends but like a lot of things these days it seems to be geared towards looking after the minorities not majorities......

Why does it matter when things are announced?  Its not going to change your life

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Round of applause 1