Bachmann Summer 2023 Announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Though Bachmann’s more recent iterations….the Bulleid & Thompsons for instance….demonstrate that they are very much up there with the best. Though I’m certain that someone will soon mention relative cost. Thus I’ll,as it were,head’em off at the pass…..giving it a cursory nod. Both these and the Centenary stock need new tooling. 

The Centenaries can wait as far as I'm concerned due to their limited route availability.  I susect teh Sunshine stock was proab;y 'yellow dot so had much woder route availability - I travelled to Chichester in one - 'Castle' to Basingstoke then a 'Schools' for the rest of the journey via Eastleigh etc.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Since reading Harris many years ago I have always distinguished the 1936-37 corridor stock as 'Sunshine' and the subsequent 1938 stock as 'Yellow Disc' because, as you say, the latter were built to a narrower width to allow for more inter-regional use. (The GWR Coaches website simply calls them '1938 Standard Stock'.) And I assume that is also why the 'Yellow Disc' version was chosen by Mainline and perpetuated by Bachmann. In terms of numbers built they were broadly the same, although there are in effect two styles of 'Sunshine', a factor which might also have influenced the manufacturers choice. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

There are a good few GW coach hangovers from the 70s and 80s that need complete retooling from scratch, and these include the Sunshines and Centenaries, as well as the old Airfix A30 autotrailer, not a Baccy coach but currently produced by Hornby.

Hornby were first in the game with Collett 57' stock, and a dire attempt it was at first, B1 bogies and wrong ride height, not to mention a somewhat Hornby-typical approach to livery, but to be fair to them they've regularly updated the tooling and current models are a good range (restaurant car apart) and to a very acceptable standard (pity they didn't do this with the A30, or the shorty clerestories, or the 2721).  Bachmann are certainly capable of producing coaches to satisfy the demands of the modern market for detail and accuracy, and could hold their own in this regard against the upcoming Dapol Mainline & Cities or the Rapido B sets, but seem to my view to have settled into a bit of a complacent position with regard to steam-age models in general and GW coaches in particular.  There are a few other antediluvian dogs in their range as well; the LMS sliding door van has had a modern chassis put under it but the bodyshell is still the same incorrect and clunky Mainline product at heart, for example, and the same can be said for the GW toads, as although these are at least pretty good from a scale dimensional point of view, moulded handrails are a bit outdated! 

I sort of get it, from a manufacturers' point of view; an older tooling that may have it's problems for the likes of us but is acceptable to the bulk of modellers is easy to justify if it is selling reasonably well in a generally flaky market, and a retooling's ability to cover it's costs might be uncertain.  I regard Bachmann as a quality manufacturer, but they are I think letting themselves down by retaining some of the GW old-timers in the range.  But if they were to drop them, what would the GW locos pull...  All the same, I doubt very much if we'll see any new toolings for steam age models, locos, coaches, or rolling stock, in general now from Bachmann, at least for as long as the current world recession continues which is likely to be for the rest of my lifetime, and I am now looking to Dapol, Rapido, and Accurascale for new models for my layout.  These manufacturers are more free to introduce newly-tooled items than one which has older items in the catalogue that are still selling and making income.

Come on Bachmann, prove me wrong, a half-cab pannier and some Taff Vale autotrailers.  Or any industrial jackshaft-driven 1950s diesel (but the so-ugly-it's-beautiful NB diesel-hydraulic if I get a choice); Blue Box seem very reluctant to enter the industrial fray...

• RMweb Gold
On 25/07/2023 at 15:38, County of Yorkshire said:

The Collett sunshine coaches are in dire need of a retool. That said, I’d actually rather see Accurascale or Rapido tackle these… 

why? Bachmann stuff is on a par.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

As usual it's probably part of the anti-Bachmann feeling generated by its pricing.  Simple - Bachamn Europe is a larger company with many more staff so it has bigger overheads and needs to generate more money from sales to cover those before it gets to make a profit.  

Smaller companies such as Rapido UK and Accurascale. (even tho' the latter is growing in staff numbers) have lower overheads so can price more keenly and still make a surplus over costs.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

As usual it's probably part of the anti-Bachmann feeling generated by its pricing.  Simple - Bachamn Europe is a larger company with many more staff so it has bigger overheads and needs to generate more money from sales to cover those before it gets to make a profit.  

Smaller companies such as Rapido UK and Accurascale. (even tho' the latter is growing in staff numbers) have lower overheads so can price more keenly and still make a surplus over costs.

i'm sure cost plays a small part but i think it's more to do with the new darlings of the trade. Some of the Bachmann 37's are now cheaper than their nearest competitor (after discounting).

anyway after the colas 70 in particular my wallet needs to breath so hoping their is nothing for me in the next release cycle. 

I wonder if there is a trend in regards quarterly releases, are the certain release cycles that are a bit dull purposely giving Bachmann a breather before then hitting it hard in the next one

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I would have thought it was the other way round. Economies of scale.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Bachmann focus a lot on their robust qualities with excellent details and excellent after sales service (you can buy spare parts many years later, which is money sitting idle for them).

And - in general - this is true.

I feel - in general - that they are better than Hornby, Heljan and Dapol in this area.

I have not had a need to order a spare part for a Rapido or Accurascale for a model that was made 10 years ago as neither have been around in the UK that long yet. But from what I've seen so far, I am quite hopeful for at least the same sort of level. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

So far as accuracy is concerned Bachmann did a good job with the LMS Portholes, not being put of by the different underframe lengths required or a completely different body style for the corridor composite. It is only by tackling such 'inconvenient' variations that it is possible to model accurate prototypical formations (kit building aside). 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

The last announcement was a bit underwhelming personally- too many diesels.

After the success of the retailer commissioned G5 and the J72, I would love to see a J21.

In OO9 I have a feeling that the modern-day versions of Linda and Blanche will appear. A Single Fairlie would be a nice surprise, but which one? Taliesin exists and might be the most obvious choice but Snowdon Ranger/Moel Tryfan offer more variations.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, nathan70000 said:

The last announcement was a bit underwhelming personally- too many diesels.

After the success of the retailer commissioned G5 and the J72, I would love to see a J21.

In OO9 I have a feeling that the modern-day versions of Linda and Blanche will appear. A Single Fairlie would be a nice surprise, but which one? Taliesin exists and might be the most obvious choice but Snowdon Ranger/Moel Tryfan offer more variations.

The diesels classes they hit are mainly ones that have operated around a very long period and/or across a large area of the country. This equates to a lot of detailed variants and liveries, more so than any steam class.

The pre-grouping steam engines are nice, and we get a good few of these a year now. But I suspect most people will tend to focus either on preserved cases or something that equates to a pre-grouping company interest (mine is heavily biased to the SECR, with a tad of LBSCR and the odd preserved prototype).

37 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

The diesels classes they hit are mainly ones that have operated around a very long period and/or across a large area of the country. This equates to a lot of detailed variants and liveries, more so than any steam class.

The pre-grouping steam engines are nice, and we get a good few of these a year now. But I suspect most people will tend to focus either on preserved cases or something that equates to a pre-grouping company interest (mine is heavily biased to the SECR, with a tad of LBSCR and the odd preserved prototype).

The J21s lasted almost 80 years from 1884 until 1962, plenty of variations and there is a preserved example so it ticks all of your boxes. 😉

SECR modellers have been very spoiled lately. Only the O1 Class comes to mind as one of the obvious choices that hasn't been done yet. The LBSCR K Class moguls would make a very pretty model. Question is are Bachmann brave enough to choose such a small and geographically restricted class with no survivors.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pteremy said:

So far as accuracy is concerned Bachmann did a good job with the LMS Portholes, not being put of by the different underframe lengths required or a completely different body style for the corridor composite. It is only by tackling such 'inconvenient' variations that it is possible to model accurate prototypical formations (kit building aside). 

I imagine the new Thompsons will be equally as delightful.  I only want one or two maroon ones to run in my maroon Mk1 rake, but ahve yet to acquire. 

9 hours ago, jonnyuk said:

See my subsequent post to the one you’ve quoted from. I would be happy with Bachmann sunshine coaches, but you just know Accurascale/Rapido would do just as good a job at a more competitive price, and in this age of super inflation every little helps! 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 25/07/2023 at 10:37, The Stationmaster said:

A Swindon 'Waeship' would be very nice thank you.  But am I over speculating when hoping for a GWR 'brown' vehicle' in a range of liveries? 

Matchboard tool vans?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, nathan70000 said:

n OO9 I have a feeling that the modern-day versions of Linda and Blanche will appear. A Single Fairlie would be a nice surprise, but which one? Taliesin exists and might be the most obvious choice but Snowdon Ranger/Moel Tryfan offer more variations.

Taliesin would be able to use a lot of cad from the double Fairlie but only one realistic livery as it’s bigger than the original single fairlie. The two WHR Fairlies would need starting from scratch again and only offer two models so unfortunately I don’t think likely at all when other locos offer a much wider range of liveries. Even the ‘modern WHR’ Garratt’s offer a much wider range but they seem to cause Bachmann’s team palpitations when they ask what you want next 😆

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Taliesin would be able to use a lot of cad from the double Fairlie but only one realistic livery as it’s bigger than the original single fairlie. The two WHR Fairlies would need starting from scratch again and only offer two models so unfortunately I don’t think likely at all when other locos offer a much wider range of liveries. Even the ‘modern WHR’ Garratt’s offer a much wider range but they seem to cause Bachmann’s team palpitations when they ask what you want next 😆

Another vote for Taliesin as it is now! 

In my wildest dreams, one of the 2-8-2 NGG15's would be far too irresistible!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well I only ask for a simple thing every release a GW named Blue Pre Tops Class 47 but I know I will never get, well if AS get a grip and produce one then perhaps, Bachmann hate this period and Heljan seem to be differing on this one 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Absolutely zero chance of a NGG16 I'm afraid. Most people don't have OO9 layouts big enough to accommodate them and the RRP on such a complex locomotive would be astronomical.

The OO9 market is in an interesting place. Nearly all the commercially attractive prototypes have now been modelled and we're heading towards one-off territory. I hope that doesn't deter Bachmann from doing locomotives like Taliesin and Russell since I'm sure they'd be strong sellers.

I wouldn't rule out Bachmann going head-to-head with Peco on the Englands. The Kato mechanism is incredibly smooth but the lack of DCC capability is unfortunate. There's no cab detail either.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, nathan70000 said:

Absolutely zero chance of a NGG16 I'm afraid. Most people don't have OO9 layouts big enough to accommodate them and the RRP on such a complex locomotive would be astronomical.

The OO9 market is in an interesting place. Nearly all the commercially attractive prototypes have now been modelled and we're heading towards one-off territory. I hope that doesn't deter Bachmann from doing locomotives like Taliesin and Russell since I'm sure they'd be strong sellers.

I wouldn't rule out Bachmann going head-to-head with Peco on the Englands. The Kato mechanism is incredibly smooth but the lack of DCC capability is unfortunate. There's no cab detail either.

Most people who model 009 don't have layouts big enough for Fairlies and bogie coaches either. Doesn't stop them buying them.

You could say the same about most 00 layouts not being big enough for Pacifics pulling ten coach trains or full length APTs. How many could model a full length MGR Hopper train with 30 odd wagons? Not many.

We can't just cater for those that are space or money poor, otherwise they wouldn't make anything bigger than Smokey Joe.

BTW a NGG16 is tiny. How about a proper Garratt? Now that I would buy. 

spacer.png

Jason

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Today I called in at Arcadia models at Shaw at 1100hrs to ask Tim to keep me a sound fitted Bachmann 40063 when they arrive.  The reply was ‘they will be here between 1145 and 1245’.   I couldn’t wait longer than 1300, but DPD arrived just before that so I got my 40063.  I have to say it is excellent, looks good, runs well especially at slow speed and the factory fitted sound is superb. 

• Like 4