Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

The next Accurascale steam loco in OO ???

2 hours ago, jamieb said:

As I see it, there are A LOT of locomotive classes that haven't been made in RTR ,or not even had kits available.Some are quite large classes,not withstanding the DX goods mentioned before,but locos such as the Fowler 7F, the Fowler/Stanier 3P tanks already alluded to, on the Southern there's the U/U1 classes,Q class 0-6-0, C2X, the LNER has J classes everywhere,K4,B16,all sorts really, whilst glaring gaps in the GWR are Saints and County's,both done to a lesser standard in the past.Im not a fan of continually updating perfectly serviceable models from the past but these are in need of it,however I can't see another GWR 4-6-0 appearing so soon after the Manor

AS are probably leaning towards locos with preserved examples ,as most manufacturers do for obvious reasons.If they choose something already made before but in need of an update, likely candidates are an 8F or a D49,something new may be a K4 or Gordon Highlander,which would please the SECR fans too.An older style pannier tank would go down well too,2021 anybody?

But please no Bulleid Pacifics/Patriots/57XX/A3 etc,there are decent enough models out there,let's have something new 

That is a very good summary. I’m sure Accurascale will read it and I hope your plan is adopted.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

46 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

That is a very good summary. I’m sure Accurascale will read it and I hope your plan is adopted.

I can understand the desire for something that has not been done before but, on the evidence to date, I am not sure that quite fits the Accurascale MO as far as locomotives are concerned. For example, the Bulleid Pacifics are iconic, are extant on heritage lines and there are different versions to offer. Given that Hornby seem to have lost interest in updating its offerings I would have thought that they are an obvious target similar to the Manors. 

• Like 3

As I see it, there are A LOT of locomotive classes that haven't been made in RTR ,or not even had kits available.Some are quite large classes,not withstanding the DX goods mentioned before,but locos such as the Fowler 7F, the Fowler/Stanier 3P tanks already alluded to, on the Southern there's the U/U1 classes,Q class 0-6-0, C2X, the LNER has J classes everywhere,K4,B16,all sorts really, whilst glaring gaps in the GWR are Saints and County's,both done to a lesser standard in the past.Im not a fan of continually updating perfectly serviceable models from the past but these are in need of it,however I can't see another GWR 4-6-0 appearing so soon after the Manor

AS are probably leaning towards locos with preserved examples ,as most manufacturers do for obvious reasons.If they choose something already made before but in need of an update, likely candidates are an 8F or a D49,something new may be a K4 or Gordon Highlander,which would please the SECR fans too.An older style pannier tank would go down well too,2021 anybody?

But please no Bulleid Pacifics/Patriots/57XX/A3 etc,there are decent enough models out there,let's have something new 

The problem as I see it, and the one that also afflicts Bachmann, Dapol and Hornby is sales volume.

The good Captain keeps making his claim for a new Pannier, and whilst I suspect another company may or may not be working on one, it is the perfect example of the types of steam locomotive that Accurascale will be targetting - one that has a lot of modellable variation, liveries and reasonable longevity.

Look at the diesels so far a Deltic, a 37 and a 50, the odds are surely on a class 40 next time round, because all will sell in a large volume without too much effort in marketing.  To keep the prices down whilst throwing in so much attention to detail and functionality you need volume sales.

Similarly for steam engines there is a clamouring for some more obscure locomotives, but will they have the sales potential to pay back the detail levels seen with their first steam engine?

It's the same with wagons, generally you are looking at items that will sell out quickly to recoup the costs, reruns also play into the mix heavily.

So to me the reality is that Accurascale for the time being will focus on bigger ticket steam engines, not necessarily big engines but certainly those they know will sell in volume.   Having a second recent entrant into the market such as Rapido potentially might help along the way, as well as being more inclined towards interesting loco choices they are also eating into the generic 3,5 & 7 plank and van market with some company specific designs plus the RCH wagons now - it then opens the market to some smaller loco classes from those companies to haul them.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

The problem as I see it, and the one that also afflicts Bachmann, Dapol and Hornby is sales volume.

The good Captain keeps making his claim for a new Pannier, and whilst I suspect another company may or may not be working on one, it is the perfect example of the types of steam locomotive that Accurascale will be targetting - one that has a lot of modellable variation, liveries and reasonable longevity.

Look at the diesels so far a Deltic, a 37 and a 50, the odds are surely on a class 40 next time round, because all will sell in a large volume without too much effort in marketing.  To keep the prices down whilst throwing in so much attention to detail and functionality you need volume sales.

Similarly for steam engines there is a clamouring for some more obscure locomotives, but will they have the sales potential to pay back the detail levels seen with their first steam engine?

It's the same with wagons, generally you are looking at items that will sell out quickly to recoup the costs, reruns also play into the mix heavily.

So to me the reality is that Accurascale for the time being will focus on bigger ticket steam engines, not necessarily big engines but certainly those they know will sell in volume.   Having a second recent entrant into the market such as Rapido potentially might help along the way, as well as being more inclined towards interesting loco choices they are also eating into the generic 3,5 & 7 plank and van market with some company specific designs plus the RCH wagons now - it then opens the market to some smaller loco classes from those companies to haul them.

Good points, particularly the viability of more obscure steam locomotives. Nevertheless, there are still prototypes which haven’t been modelled and are far from obscure. A Southern U being a prime example. On the other hand, I would have thought the P2s were quite obscure but it’s looking as if Hornby will make a sales success with them. It will be interesting to see how Hornby’s Turbomotive sells. That’s a fairly obscure one-off but I stuck my order in as soon as it was announced with no idea of how I’m going to pay for it.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

As the J36 sold really well for Hornby the Glen and Scott are long overdue. Two loco classes for the tooling costs of one and a fraction. Pre-Grouping, Grouping, B. R. plus the Glen preserved with both operating over a wide area unlike the D40 Gordon Highlander. 

Plenty sales potential plus just as important additional repeat sales and of course all with wonderful names.

D3462487GlenArklet(7).JPG.9f164ed2d5c4b96406f0e1cdb1196ee6.JPG

D3062418ThePirate(15).JPG.243c11c0d66f7bb2c193c3bd9215d4f6.JPG

Edited by 60027Merlin
  • Like 13

4 hours ago, jamieb said:

Yes please, a U1   !!  Hasn't been done in RTR, also worked on the Lickey, so it's suitable for an LMS layout.

s-l1600.jpg

• Funny 4

6 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Yes please, a U1   !!  Hasn't been done in RTR, also worked on the Lickey, so it's suitable for an LMS layout.

s-l1600.jpg

Well that's one of the most random postage stamps ever! Do you think they chose U1 because it was close to UI (Union Island?)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd reckon £400 for that 

Nearer £480 I would have thought. If coming from Accurascale it would be a fine model, to be sure. However, I wouldn't be surprised if KR Models turned up with it, given their trend at present (Lickey Incline loco).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

St Vincent helped the poor, so we need to pray to him keep the price of a loco with two chassis to a level we can afford !

I'd reckon £400 for that 

That is the problem.  Effectively two tenderless 04s back to back.  However, Heljan weren't phased about as pair of tenderless Horwich crabs back to back were they ? 

Far too many wheels for me. I will stick with 0-6-0s, 2-4-2s and 2-6-2s (singly) !!!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

My guess would be the BR/LNER class J21 and NER variants to run with all those forthcoming hopper wagons.

Superheated and non-superheated versions plus tender variations.

One can but dream.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, D5158 said:

One can but dream

As most of the contributors to the thread have shown.  I’m as bad as the rest (see A2 comment above) but it’s astonishing how many modellers think that “I’d love a model of this” automatically = “great sales potential”!

Richard

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I’ll second an E4, slightly bigger chance now a J69 has been announced (and Mr Isles penchant at both Hornby and Accurascale for all things GE 😉), but I guess that doesn’t necessarily equate to commercial viability, particularly as they weren’t as widespread as J69’s. I’d pay significantly more for one though if it was commercially viable with a more limited production run. 

As to what I think is more likely, the suggestions of LMS Jubilee and 57xx are ones I’d agree with, although I can see a new Castle being popular too. 

One I’d also throw into the ring is a new Jinty - widespread throughout the LMS, and comes in Black, Blue or Red! I think 47445 was even painted yellow in industrial service. 

Edited by NXEA!
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

I still think that there are some really good locos that have yet to see a super detailed example manufactured or, indeed, never manufactured.

Hawksworth County

D49

B16

Plus Decent versions of the ancient Bachmann J39 and V1/3.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, RichardT said:

As most of the contributors to the thread have shown.  I’m as bad as the rest (see A2 comment above) but it’s astonishing how many modellers think that “I’d love a model of this” automatically = “great sales potential”!

Richard

quite.

We seem to be stuck in a cycle of reincarnation of various types, which on face of it is easy to derisk by saying its popular, but ignoring the age/quality/cost/availability of the incumbent.

However one way of establishing potential of de-risking un-made prototypes maybe worth trawling ebay to see what comes up as the most popular DJH, Millholme kits etc… there was at least 2 reasons after-all they were popular.. 1 being not rtr, the other can only be down to demand.

2 decades ago, its was often a kit built model we would see in a rtr manufacturers cabinet as the first sample of what they were planning to release next.

The kits I see most often are; LNWR 0-6-0 tender engine, lyr Dreadnought and tanks, MR Flatiron, Cardean, SR Q .. not necessarily all my cup of tea, but they were somebodies given how many there were.

On the diesel side, I see the DJH class 02.. but Heljan has that. However PEP units occur often, mostly unmade, or very high prices for good ones.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/08/2023 at 18:25, Captain Kernow said:

Panniers.

Lots of them.

They only need to make one surely - as they are all the same?

Apart from the one where they ran out of metal for the cab roof.

Although this could be an option for the "modeller".

Supply a model with a removable cab roof with a cut line.....................................

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/08/2023 at 09:16, micklner said:

A very obvious choice the missing ER pacific. 5 Locos and  two differrent Tenders and one using a Gresley Boiler rebuilt as well !!.

https://www.lner.info/locos/A/a2.php

image.png.0431d564192a6c5b2c50f88f50374c37.png

That smoke box interior looks lovely in magnolia, I bet they couldnt keep it that way.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Going to be a SR Bullied all day long, lots of them about now, great looking loco and to top it off made by Hornby, so another poke in the eye for one of the big 2.

question is, would Hornby really sit on the sidelines with this one like the 50 for example.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

Going to be a SR Bullied all day long, lots of them about now, great looking loco and to top it off made by Hornby, so another poke in the eye for one of the big 2.

question is, would Hornby really sit on the sidelines with this one like the 50 for example.

The missed oppy for Hornby was the unrebuilt MN… I see nothing in tooling marks etc to suggest it was designed for a rebuilt..

The rebuilt Bulleid does look an obvious candidate, but if doing a job, do it properly… and do the smaller one too.

i agree its an obvious candidate.

When I look at Hornby today I see Lima in the late 90’s.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

As Accurascale has already announced/produced both GW and GER(ER) steam locomotives, maybe they will now follow on with an LMS or SR class variant?

The LMS is the only area Hornby can consider safe, its last threat was the Stanier Mogul 2-6-0 announced by Bachmann back 10 years ago now.

ok weve got an approximation of Big Bertha on the horizon.

But if it werent for Hornby the LMS side of the hobby would be fading away.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, newbryford said:

They only need to make one surely - as they are all the same?

Apart from the one where they ran out of metal for the cab roof.

Although this could be an option for the "modeller".

Supply a model with a removable cab roof with a cut line.....................................

Well, that's a thought.

I suppose you could extend the argument to include all Class 37s, all Class 25s etc. - they all look the same to me. In fact, why not just do a generic diesel (ie. a 'box on wheels') - most steam age modellers can't tell the difference anyway...! 😛

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1