Five volunteers SUSPENDED from NYMR

6990WitherslackHall

16 minutes ago, papagolfjuliet said:

Jobs which reportedly are not now being done since the big I Ams evicted the station's dedicated volunteers. 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g191269-d261307-r901495338-North_Yorkshire_Moors_Railway-Pickering_North_Yorkshire_England.html

Depends, social media can be used as a weapon - that's quite a specific review.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

As I grow ever closer to the point where I no longer need to work and the light at the end of the tunnel is in sight I think, then the desire to stick two fingers up at someone who doesn't show respect grows ever stronger.  If I was to volunteer (anywhere), I would expect whoever manages me to understand I am there because I want to be and the moment it is no longer engaging due to p!ss poor management I will be off.

Well yes, that's the skill of managing volunteers.  They need to want to do what that are doing, on the other hand, they just can't do whatever they want. Mundane jobs need to be done and if all the volunteers only wanted to sell tickets, then it just wouldn't work. The skill for the manager is to create a cohesive team where the volunteers are all supporting each other to achieve the greater goal of (say) running a station.  It's a tricky job, as we have seen on numerous occasions. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
On 17/11/2023 at 21:48, TheSignalEngineer said:

Railways need to be in a continual learning mode. We found out things the hard way, newcomers often don't learn the history of why and wherefore and will repeat the mistakes.

At 18 years old I was confronted by the sight of an AM4 unit on its side with Fire Brigade and doctors climbing over it to get to the injured and to recover the dead. Causes - (i) not understanding the reason for the normal  lie of a set of points when designing a resignalling scheme,  lesson never forgotten in my whole career,

(ii) not applying the rules correctly during shunting movements on the main line after control had been transferred to the power box.

Not long after I was working in Crewe Works when the wrecked AL1 loco from Hixon was bought in. The job of recovering the bodies of the crew was considered too bad for railwaymen to carry out and was done by specially recruited contractors behind closed doors at night. We didn't actually see to loco until the front end had been cut off and taken away. More lessons learned about level crossing protection, pity users don't learn some pof their own.

20 years later - Clapham. I had just spent three 12-hour night shifts supervising and testing on exactly the same type of work as was the final nail in the chain of events there. You have to look back on the run up to the event. We had five years of consecutive cuts and reorganisations in signalling projects. I got out of the design part of the chain when I was publically criticised in front of staff by a very senior figure within BR for wasting time and money in doing the job in the way that myself and others had evolved over years of hands on experience of all steps in the process. We knew what worked safely and efficiently from bitter experiences on previous jobs.

When things based on experience get torn up and history repeats itself and more stringent rules than before are applied. I spent the next two years of my career re-inventing instructions that had been thrown away by senior management in those five years. Some of the rules introduced in design were exactly the process I was chastised by management for doing a couple of years earlier.

A lot were thrown away in privatisation and re-invented again. Some of the NR rules on developing and managing signalling projects were a straight crib from a document of mine written in the 1979-80 but thrown away by Railtrack c1995.

Back to the topic, too many volunteer organisations run on fag packet recording, decisions being made on-th-hoof by a small clique who don't like newcomers. Things get ignored like abuse and bullying by those who see it as their personal pet. Eventually someone has to take control of the situation. It isn't pleasant for either side when it's happening but it can't be left to fester or bigger problems will follow. As an official of a sports club I had to expel one member due to stalking and harrassment complaints against him, and more recently had to investigate some bad blood between two plot holders at the allotment site. In that instance it was more a case of banging heads together and telling them grow up. 

Very well written post.  In my own personal experience, it is when one of the heads that needs 'banging together' belongs to me, that it is vital that I trust and respect the person doing the act.  Respect and trust between management and workers is vital in any workplace of any size. The smallish company I work in has mastered this. Two days ago, we were merged into a much larger company rather than being a self-governing daughter company. It will be interesting to see whether we can keep the same ethos. I do hope so.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, papagolfjuliet said:

Jobs which reportedly are not now being done since the big I Ams evicted the station's dedicated volunteers. 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g191269-d261307-r901495338-North_Yorkshire_Moors_Railway-Pickering_North_Yorkshire_England.html

new member of trip advisor since 2023, 1 contribution, which just happened to be Levisham specifically.

(I wonder if it was confused with Lewisham, as Lewisham can certainly look like that ?).

Tbh I’d be more worried of the several “terrible reviews” about a recent event, in the last month, seems value and crowd management have been an issue and drawn a lot of ire.

I do however the like their response, especially the one directing one complainant about being a “making profits to shareholders” directing them to this page, which I think is an excellant informative page..

https://www.nymr.co.uk/Pages/Category/charitable-aims

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Were you the owner of the router, or did you buy a replacement ?

I hope the context wasn't confrontational in that sense.

Many years ago I took pleasure in dropping an x386 out of a window and smashing it, to much amusement of many coworkers. Whilst it was staged and pre-arranged, they werent aware of that and thought i’d gone fully loco, as I literally rocked up to the desk unplugged it and threw it from the window.

The hard part afterwards was picking up all the little pieces, the keyboard letters got everywhere !

(it was a charity stunt).

No and no.

It was very confrontational unfortunately but it did the trick for a few years.

It was the third 200 mile round trip to that office in a 12 month period to try and work out why they were having issues again (this pre-dates managed switches etc.). The first visit I found the router. Disconnected it, replaced it with a mini switch, put a note on the router saying not to be connected to the company network. Explained the reason to the office manager, asked whose it was - no idea.

Second visit, found it in a different place, wrote on it in permanent pen not to be used on company network, put it in the bin. Asked again whose it was - no idea.

Third visit. Found it again, hidden but connected. Put it in front of the office manager and smashed it.

That office manager is long gone thankfully.

A different office a few years later did a cracker. The office manager emailed me and copied the directors in (always a favourite that) - saying that the office morale was really low because of how bad the network was. 

We did have some basic monitoring by then, so I took great please in replying to all with a list of websites that were rinsing their bandwidth.

BBC Iplayer, Sky etc.

I included a screenshot of the manager's PC showing he was streaming two football games at the same time and cracked open the popcorn.

That manager is also thankfully long gone, and these days everything is so much more locked down including DHCP snooping so no more rogue router issues. It should never be a fight between IT and office staff - IT Is there to make the offices work efficiently, but to use an annoying buzz phrase, it's a two-way street.

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Your assuming every volunteer wants to be on the footplate.

I would have a hard time believing there isnt a role for anyone to be a volunteer, even if its litter picking, a charity box or just giving information.

There are many willing to do unglamorous roles, but those roles also are overlooked but make a big difference to the image.

I’m assuming nothing. I used my journey as an example to illustrate my other points which apply to any role on a heritage railway and necessary to first and foremost keep everybody safe there. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

No and no.

It was very confrontational unfortunately but it did the trick for a few years.

It was the third 200 mile round trip to that office in a 12 month period to try and work out why they were having issues again (this pre-dates managed switches etc.). The first visit I found the router. Disconnected it, replaced it with a mini switch, put a note on the router saying not to be connected to the company network. Explained the reason to the office manager, asked whose it was - no idea.

Second visit, found it in a different place, wrote on it in permanent pen not to be used on company network, put it in the bin. Asked again whose it was - no idea.

Third visit. Found it again, hidden but connected. Put it in front of the office manager and smashed it.

That office manager is long gone thankfully.

A different office a few years later did a cracker. The office manager emailed me and copied the directors in (always a favourite that) - saying that the office morale was really low because of how bad the network was. 

We did have some basic monitoring by then, so I took great please in replying to all with a list of websites that were rinsing their bandwidth.

BBC Iplayer, Sky etc.

I included a screenshot of the manager's PC showing he was streaming two football games at the same time and cracked open the popcorn.

That manager is also thankfully long gone, and these days everything is so much more locked down including DHCP snooping so no more rogue router issues. It should never be a fight between IT and office staff - IT Is there to make the offices work efficiently, but to use an annoying buzz phrase, it's a two-way street.

I get it, but you may have committed a criminal offence, with intent…

Further i’m sure the company has policies about aggressive behaviour too.

Whatever the reason, no one should work in a hostile workplace and destruction of other peoples property is a crime.

As for the streaming.. omg Ive got a tale about an employee about that, nearly took down two multibn corporates, one a hardware vendor, another a global US bank with one numpty guys actions in our little company, despite what he did.. he walked free, straight out the job and into another who had no idea what he had just done. Unfortunately testimony on it is sealed by agreement of the three company parties to the ensuing lawsuit that followed, and for very good reason so as much as I would love to write it down I cannot.. but maybe a good almost comically unbelievable plot in a film scene someday.

Edited by adb968008
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, PhilH said:

I’m assuming nothing. I used my journey as an example to illustrate my other points which apply to any role on a heritage railway and necessary to first and foremost keep everybody safe there. 

I’m intrigued…

can you describe to me the process to qualify a litter picker, does he start with chocolate wrappings and graduate with  empty cans of coke ?

Aptitude and commitment are in most cases the qualities looked for in volunteer roles rather than perhaps a single interview. Don't forget in most roles one has to start at the very bottom and basically prove yourself, your ability to learn, your ability to function correctly in your chosen role.

Is commitment measured in how many bags of rubbish ?

Is it safe to assume starting at the bottom is an empty bag ?

is learning, catching the tissue before the wind blows it away ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, adb968008 said:

I’m intrigued…

can you describe to me the process to qualify a litter picker, does he start with chocolate wrappings and graduate with  empty cans of coke ?

Seriously?

I will humour you though. As far as I know on the railway where I volunteered at litter picking is not a stand alone role being part of the wider duties of, for instance, station staff where the qualities I’ve described are needed, rules have to be followed and you definitely don’t go straight in as stationmaster.

Happy?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, PhilH said:

Seriously?

I will humour you though. As far as I know on the railway where I volunteered at litter picking is not a stand alone role being part of the wider duties of, for instance, station staff where the qualities I’ve described are needed, rules have to be followed and you definitely don’t go straight in as stationmaster.

Happy?

From my view, your statement is coming from a high profile safety critical view point (the footplate) and it comes across as applying to every role… i’m not convinced any line has such high levels at every level, including things like PTS etc for the website operator, magazine printer and a whole bunch of other jobs that may never even encounter the platform or the track or even the company premises at all.

But yes I agree you view on that point, it just didnt come across like that.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I get it, but you may have committed a criminal offence, with intent…

Further i’m sure the company has policies about aggressive behaviour too.

Whatever the reason, no one should work in a hostile workplace and destruction of other peoples property is a crime.

As for the streaming.. omg Ive got a tale about an employee about that, nearly took down two multibn corporates, one a hardware vendor, another a global US bank with one numpty guys actions in our little company, despite what he did.. he walked free, straight out the job and into another who had no idea what he had just done. Unfortunately testimony on it is sealed by agreement of the three company parties to the ensuing lawsuit that followed, and for very good reason.

Quite possibly but they were way beyond negligent behaviour allowing the device to be connected so many times, well into malicious intent. Whilst they weren't dismissed for it, they were later dismissed for gross misconduct. They claimed for unfair dismissal and the ACAS found in the company's favour. The amount of hostility I have been on the receiving end of is frankly insane. It's an odd industry - doesn't make it right of course but again to use a buzz phrase, fighting fire with fire is not unusual.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I learned that way that Railway Magazine in the 1970’s was worth nothing than paper recycling.. especially when getting more than a dozen of each issue !.. everyone donated them, no one wanted them… also learned things like Locomotives Illustrated and early Steam Railway were worth gold

We recently had this on our club exhibition stand, boxes and boxes of old modellers that hardly anyone will buy, but ones like Bylines always sell, last year we purged all the modelling mags from before 2000, hundreds of them and still have loads

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, PhilH said:

Of course there will always be reports of bad volunteering experiences but believe me some of these come from people who are just not cut out to be a volunteer, to be told what to do, and to have to do it in the way they are told to do it, which is essential in a safety critical work place such as a working railway.

4 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Whilst not necessarily as formal as an interview, potential volunteers discuss what is involved and I've known cases where they have been gently steered towards something more suitable, for example if a certain level of experience was required, volunteer numbers in one department were already sufficient (it does still happen!) or it just wouldn't be safe for them to get over the tracks to the place of work.

Probably a good job that I've never volunteered at a railway then.

I don't know about whether it happens, maybe it does on some lines, but maybe it's a good idea to rotate volunteers,  so that everyone has to do their share of the menial but essential tasks, like cleaning toilets.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, sir douglas said:

We recently had this on our club exhibition stand, boxes and boxes of old modellers that hardly anyone will buy, but ones like Bylines always sell, last year we purged all the modelling mags from before 2000, hundreds of them and still have loads

Back in the 1980’s/90’s there was big money in railway books and the right magazines… very big money.

Some railway books were over £300 if you had the right title, edition and condition… early 1920’s railway magazines could sell for good money too.

Sadly the internet killed this industry and most in not nearly all are now worth next to nowt… many great titles can be had for a few quid.

I bought an original 1897 railway timetable from the Bluebell railway bookshop last month for 50p.

I just threw away over 100 railway books as they werent worth even to donate, and when I contacted both the Bluebell and MHRs neither wanted them, a few PGs too werent interested… OPC / IA titles on GWR /SR stations, sheds etc…used to fetch £50+ each… now wouldnt even fetch postage….

its not just railway books… Ive got hundreds of CDs and DVDs (music/hollywood films).. no one wants them either… owning physical materials is a liability these days… its all about streaming.

My worry is how much historical work will be lost.. for sure no ones going to scan 1988 BR timetable, or books on obscure 1920’s minerals railways in lancashire… indeed I treasure my 1980’s timetables, but who today is keeping track of todays timetable, in a digital world thats doesnt even publish one and Network Rail itself doesnt know the schedule until 10pm the day before ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 19/11/2023 at 05:16, kevinlms said:

But you also have 'members', which is not the same thing as 'volunteers'. Some people think that being members, that it is enough to pay the subs and perhaps in some cases, never set foot on the premises.

While that is the case on a lot of heritage railways, in most museums (those not controlled/run by a membership organisation) it’s not such a relevant distinction because you don’t have to be a member to be a volunteer, and membership exists primarily as a way to support the museum in exchange for certain benefits, rather than implying an obligation or opportunity to volunteer.

On 19/11/2023 at 05:16, kevinlms said:

That is OK, if their membership is covering the costs of them being members, but often subs are subsidized by the operations of the organisation. That leads to a possible conflict where some members make noises that they pay the same and spend a lot of time doing work, while others don't contribute at all.

It is a fine line, because some people can't volunteer - health, other commitments and others simply won't. I've been a member of clubs, where a recurring discussion is to have those that don't contribute, pay some sort of surcharge. For the trouble the discussion causes, I suspect it's just not worth the effort!

From the point of view of a heritage organisation trying to engage with as wide a range of people as possible (especially if it has charitable status or receives government funding) I would say no to this sort of surcharge as it doesn’t help with that.  As you say it would be very unfair to impose it on those who can’t volunteer for disability or health-related reasons, and even for those with work or other commitments which mean they can’t commit to regularly volunteering. It isn’t always that easy to distinguish between those who can’t volunteer, and those who just can’t be bothered to.

That said, in an amateur sport (orienteering) group that I’m a member of we had a bit of an issue with members regularly attending all our local events to compete but not volunteering, and one solution was to give those who volunteered at each event a discount on their entry fee for either that event or a future one of similar level. This is perhaps slightly different from your example of heritage railway volunteers never setting foot on the site though, because in that example they’re just not engaging in person at all, whereas in my example they’re attending and benefiting from the event but not helping to run it. On the other hand, I volunteer at most of their events that I can actually get to, but I don’t get to as many these days because I work a lot of weekends, so occasionally it’s nice to attend but have time off from volunteering.

To bring it back to heritage railways, I know a few people in the 009 Society who are members of some of the Welsh NG lines (and in one case the L&B in Devon). They can’t get there regularly as it’s far away but paying their membership gives them a way to support their railway, and receiving newsletters etc. keeps them updated and engaged with it. The trade-off is that those who don’t volunteer aren’t putting in the same amount of work, but also perhaps aren’t getting as much out of their involvement with the organisation or railway.

Edited by 009 micro modeller
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Its not just loco groups, Ive seen factions in C&W, platform staff (there can be some right little hitlers here, who shouldnt be public facing at all),

They are more like Goering than Hitler - Goering was the incompetent and morbidly obese Nazi who liked to play with his train set......

new member of trip advisor since 2023, 1 contribution, which just happened to be Levisham specifically.

And like a lot of one star reviews, it's an incoherent stream of consciousness with dodgy use of apostrophes and incorrect use of similar sounding words.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Replace coke cans with drug paraphernalia and you're not far off the truth. It's worth knowing how to safely deal with some of the nasties you can find whilst litter picking or clearing derelict areas...

Steven B

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, papagolfjuliet said:

Poor grammar in the review, and the username beginning with Q6 ought to ring alarm bells....

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, ikcdab said:

Well yes, that's the skill of managing volunteers.  They need to want to do what that are doing, on the other hand, they just can't do whatever they want. . 

This is the conflict which I suspect a lot of heritage railways are struggling with, some more publicly than others. On the one hand people  are there because they are enthusiastic and passionate, but they are only enthusiastic and passionate about the things they are enthusiastic and passionate about, which probably doesn't include paperwork or sitting through compulsory training and competence assessment. 

On the other hand the railway is operating under ORR scrutiny on a T&W Order which sets out minimum standards to be met to operate legally. Those standards invariably include a Safety Management System,  paperwork, courses and competency standards so if you want to play you either play by the rules or you dont play at all. The argument about whether complying with the SMS makes anything safer than just doing it the way you've always done it is irrelevant in this context - having  a TV licence doesnt make the picture any better but it is what it is. If you don't play nicely the ORR take your toys away until you say sorry and demonstrate that you can play nicely. If you are the management team (paid or unpaid) who get interviewed under caution if one of your volunteers really screws up then your ultimate sanction with an individual or group who won't operate according to the SMS is to separate them from the toys before ORR do it for you. 

A friend charged with delivering safety training to a group of disinterested volunteers on a heritage railway largely solved the problem by teaching them in an inspection saloon tagged onto the regular service rather than expecting them to sit in a classroom. 

6 hours ago, ikcdab said:

To be honest, this is nonsense. If an organisation isn't covering it's membership costs, then they need to address that, not blame the member. 

Ditto. I'm an on and off member of three or four heritage railways on a rolling basis depending on whichever one Mrs Wheatley fancies buying me for Christmas each year (occasionally I find I've sponsored something cute furry and endangered instead,  or sponsored a goat somewhere). I've no intention of volunteering at any if them (maybe one day when I retire) but neither do I expect them to subsidise my membership. If they are subsidising it then more fool them tbh, that rather defeats the object of having paying members, surely ? 

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 7

49 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

Poor grammar in the review, and the username beginning with Q6 ought to ring alarm bells....

I have seen a couple of Tripadvisor reviews of other heritage railways in the same vein (i.e. written by someone who’s clearly involved with the organisation and having a moan). Not sure Tripadvisor is the most appropriate place to slag off the organisation you work or volunteer for anyway - surely that’s what Glassdoor is for? 😅

4 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

They are more like Goering than Hitler - Goering was the incompetent and morbidly obese Nazi who liked to play with his train set......

Annoyingly, I’ve now been reminded of that debate from a couple of years ago about people wearing questionable uniforms at 1940s weekends…

26 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

This is the conflict which I suspect a lot of heritage railways are struggling with, some more publicly than others. On the one hand people  are there because they are enthusiastic and passionate, but they are only enthusiastic and passionate about the things they are enthusiastic and passionate about, which probably doesn't include paperwork or sitting through compulsory training and competence assessment. 

I think for longer-serving volunteers it’s also difficult because some of the rules have been introduced (or tightened up) since they started, so they slightly resent the imposition of them. It’s also I think why a lot of organisations in the wider heritage sector don’t place volunteers in safety-critical operational roles, or if they do they are under the supervision of someone whose job involves a lot of safety training, reading risk assessments etc. On the other hand, I used to do a voluntary role where I sometimes had to write risk assessments (they were usually professionally checked afterwards), which I found quite dull but saw as an important part of the overall activity we were doing, because they helped people understand how to do things more safely.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steven B said:

Replace coke cans with drug paraphernalia and you're not far off the truth. It's worth knowing how to safely deal with some of the nasties you can find whilst litter picking or clearing derelict areas...

Steven B

Agreed, although I think the overall point @adb968008 was making is that not everyone will have the time (especially over a period of several years) to commit to training for a high-level, safety-critical role, but there are still other ways in which people can volunteer and things that need doing.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Agreed, although I think the overall point @adb968008 was making is that not everyone will have the time (especially over a period of several years) to commit to training for a high-level, safety-critical role, but there are still other ways in which people can volunteer and things that need doing.

100%…spot on.

working in the ticket office, bar, cafe, shop, gateline, accounts, dealing with banking the revenues, santa, group and diner bookings, event organizers etc etc dont require shed, lineside or footplate access.
They have managment hierarchy but dont need safety critical training, pts etc… maybe first aid training.

Arguably commercial roles are far more important to the railway than operations, but most volunteers focus on playing trains, when its the ticket office, shop and restaurant that actually earn the revenue…they arnt as glamourous... but without them, footplate men wont be able to play trains and espouse how important and critical their jobs are because there wouldnt be a railway to do it on…

They have a very different skillset and discipline, including trust and confidence.

Not one post from the harp twangers in this thread has recognised this valuable and indispensible resource yet.

which rounds us nicely to Levisham… and what is ultimately a mundane job of keeping the place clean, tidy, point of presence etc.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, ikcdab said:

Quite. I suspect not a wholly disinterested person.....

Indeed, but it indicates the difficulty these days of taking any controversial decision.

One review doesn't matter but if it will damage visitors numbers if there a lot of similar.

I know nothing of the ins and outs of the dispute, but I always found Levisham an attractive and well-kept station.

Interesting signal box, doubling as the booking office and it's even available in model form from the trade.  Also, unless it;s changed an unusual set of signals controlling the user worked barriers when the box is switched out, not to mention the slotted post semaphores.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

They have managment hierarchy but dont need safety critical training, pts etc… maybe first aid training.

not sure i agree to the same degree. I agree these roles are not safety-crtitical, but for platform staff, PTS and the knowledge of what to do in an emergency is essential. At some point, someone will drop their phone (or something much worse) onto the track or will go tresspassing. station staff will need to deal with that in accordance with the rules.

• Like 1