Hattons Model Railways to close

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to see them go and thanks for all the good service over the years (assuming someone from hattons is reading this thread).

Hopefully this is an isolated case.

• Agree 1

This is utterly shocking news. I wonder if losing Bachmann sales has had a bigger impact that they expected and I guess that Brexit has probably had some impact as well, but I would have thought that the sheer size of their business would have made them immune to most of the ups and down of the model railway business. If they can't survive then how are the smaller retailers coping I wonder?

• Agree 6

Blimey, I remember restarting after a break in the hobby and relying on the Hattons bargains section to kickstart the restart. Absolutely unbelievable and a hugely undeniable loss for the hobby.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Johann Marsbar said:

That is a shock.    I first went to their Smithdown Road shop about 50 years ago!

I'll see you 50 and raise you 55....I traded in my Hornby Dublo for Scalextric with Norman....I know....big mistake...but what a shock........I remember seeing the letter from various palaces and stately homes thanking Hattons for their mail order service..

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Devastating. Been using them personally since the mid 1970s and my family for a lot longer than that.

I suppose the loss of a proper easy to access shop probably hasn't helped in the long run. Ordering online isn't quite the same as going into the old Smithdown Road store and coming out with things you didn't even want!

Proper salespeople in action.

Jason

On the contrary, if Hattons of all places couldn’t make online shopping work for the hobby then it’s worrying times ahead for everyone.

Didn’t they also just recently buy a US retailer? 

Lots of questions will come from this.

Very sad, hoping the staff can find work quickly elsewhere.

Edited by moawkwrd
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6

I genuinely thought this was someone's idea of a stupid joke until I came on here to see it is true.  It is baffling, bewildering and desperately sad for all, employees, and modellers alike.  I used them regularly lacking many model shops here in Gwynedd and had some reasonable dealings with them when I offloaded three large lots of models via their remote purchase scheme, preferring to drop them off in person at Widnes and was happy with the process.

I just hope this isn't the start of a domino effect.

Good luck to all those at Widnes and I hope you find further employment soon.  Not a nice start to your year.

• Like 2
  • Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I first went to hattons in 1989 and bought a lima class 33. That was in the original shop. I went to the second shop many times and have bought loads of stuff from them both in store and on line. I have loads on pre order. I'm shocked by the news. The staff have always been excellent very pleasant to deal with. My thoughts go out to them. 

4 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I'll see you 50 and raise you 55....I traded in my Hornby Dublo for Scalextric with Norman....I know....big mistake...but what a shock........I remember seeing the letter from various places and stately homes thanking Hattons for their mail order service..

Actually, one of the things purchased on that visit was a mint, boxed, Hornby Dublo Co-Bo, which cost all of £10 !!   Picked up a secondhand H-D breakdown crane at the same time...

Still got both of those things today.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Like others on here, I greeted the Facebook post with a certain amount of scepticism and disbelief but with the gradual realisation that it was, sadly, genuine.

I've probably spent more with Hattons over the years than any other model railway retailer, most recently just before Christmas with some genuine bargains in their Black Friday sale. 

I'm absolutely staggered at the news. Their constant innovations marked them out as more than just another retailer and it's a sad and worrying loss to the hobby. 

My thoughts and best wishes to all those affected.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, moawkwrd said:

On the contrary, if Hattons of all places couldn’t make online shopping work for the hobby then it’s worrying times ahead for everyone.

Didn’t they also just recently buy a US retailer? 

Lots of questions will come from this.

Very sad, hoping the staff can find work quickly elsewhere.

I assume you never visited the packed shop. 

Losing hundreds, if not thousands, of people walking through the door weekly would have a major effect on any retailer.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Feel for the people losing their jobs tonight.

As if higher energy, food and mortgages weren’t a bitter enough pill, they now have these costs with fewer means of paying for them.

Feels like an ill wind is blowing through the western world.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Been a customer of Hattons since the string era, probably late 1980's. 

Huge shock and worrying.

Lately they were my go to place of choice for reasonably priced second hand US outline HO stock.

• Like 1

Very sad news and my thoughts are for the staff involved.

I first visited Hattons at Smithdown Road around 1965. A train trip with my elder brother from Wigan to Edge Hill then a fair walk down Smithdown Road.

I had a few bob saved up and asked Mr Hatton (dressed in his light brown dust jacket) if he had any cheap Tri-ang TT items. Indeed he did, a tray of assorted secondhand TT wagons, coaches and track, nothing over two bob (10 new pence) - I was hooked as a customer.

Many visits (and later mail order) followed over the years, always a satisfied customer. My last visit to their second shop (near Smithdown Road) I noted they were doing really well, glass cases full of new & S/H and three ladies taking orders on the phone. I had a small mail order fulfilled only a month or so ago.

The end of an era, and they will be sorely missed.

Brit15

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Back in the 1970s Hattons were the aftermarket bargain retailer for Hornby Dublo, Triang TT, Eggerbahn & much more.

They will be missed & thank you.

What a shock.  In some ways it was just a railway modeller's 'go to shop', but in other ways I feel I have lost a modelling friend.  I knew many employees there and feel so sad for them at this difficult time.  (Alisdair)

• Like 8