Bachmann Class 30/31

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

Well that was somewhat unexpected! I suspect price will be key with the competitor just round the corner as well though there's nothing to suggest these would be any cheaper than the 37 and 47. If only the auto-uncoupler was kadee style! I'd almost suggest that these should be an option for aftermarket parts but then that opens a whole other can of worms.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

To me it seems the general mood about this announcement on here is a bit ‘Meh!’

It’s certainly not made me jump up and down with glee but I suspect for every one of me there is an opposite who is over the moon (saying that I wasn’t excited by AS announcing a 31 either as I don’t really have a fondness for them) 

Be interesting to see the price and livery variations tomorrow though 

• Agree 17

You’d have to think the price will be somewhere on par with the recent class 37’s wouldn’t you? And therefore somewhat more expensive than the competition, even with the retailers discount. However, they will sell. Look at the class 37’s. There’s room for both, although for me, not at the full price and think there will be plenty discounted in due course. Let’s just hope there’s no duplication in running numbers as that would be annoying!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

The 2 I've got and the 3 on preorder from Accurascale will suffice to represent the class on my layout. The new Bachmann one looks a great model, but I'm not crazy about the prototype like I am about 40s, 25, 37s and AC electrics.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm somewhat in the same boat. In the era I model, the Class 30/31's were strangers on the Southern and Western region. I have a sole example on order (fully paid I should add, so no point in cancelling) from Accurascale in Green with Full Yellow Ends, which covers the early allocations to the Western Region, and would have just been seen on the Southern on the Cardiff - Portsmouth service. I may be tempted by a Blue pre-TOPS example, if Bachmann does one (they have a habit of ignoring the late 60's / early 70's era), but I won't rush to get one.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Surprising and not surprising. 

Bachmann have had the data to do a 4mm Class 30/31 since they tooled the 2mm Farish model back in 2013?  The 2021 version was further update for refurbished versions. 

Personally I was never quite happy with the profile of the cab front windows on the retooled Farish 31. Will be interesting to see the 4mm interpretation of their data. 

Possibly a tactical move by Bachmann against Accurascale? Especially when you have the data to produce the Bodyshell, so less cost than starting from scratch with no CAD model for the body and bogie frames. Admittedly they’d have to develop a 4mm chassis & electronics. 

Anyway the sixth model of the class 31 in 4mm:-

Triang 1960s

Airfix 1977 

Lima 1989 (now Hornby Railroad)

Hornby super detailed 2005

Accurascale 2022 (yet to be released Q2 / 2024?)

Bachmann 2024 release?

Edited by richierich
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I have no doubt these will sell very well, regardless of a possible higher price, model quality, or livery differences. Bachmann has better brand recognition and reach.

Among the general model buying public, that counts for a lot. I'd bet there are still a lot of people in the hobby to whom Accurascale, Cavalex, Rapido, etc barely register.

I used to see it all the time. If I told a customer that a locomotive, coach, controller, etc was from anyone but Hornby you'd see their expression change.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I have 3 AS ones on order through Accurascale/local shop, I will have to see what liveries and running numbers they announce if they do the right ones then I’ll buy them, if AS get round to them first I’ll buy there’s. Much the same as the 37’s. 

In my opinion the only people to blame for two new 31’s on the market is Hornby, if they had re-tooled and DCC Sound-ed there model we wouldn’t have had a gap which is now filled by two companies that obviously saw the gap in the market, makes you think what else from Hornby's range could go to another manufacturer…

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 2

There was speculation in the other thread about the uncoupler units being sold for retro-fitting to other models.

While not impossible, it would entail considerable work:

The couplings are DCC controlled, so the decoder has to be up to the task of operating them. The model already has several functions including independent front/rear lights, cab lights, engine room lights, operating roof fan. It would need 2 more to activate the couplings, so anyone with a 3 or 4 function decoder would need to upgrade it.

The main board would need provisioning to route the function output to terminals on the main board. If Bachmann had thought of this beforehand, the feature would have been introduced on earlier models. It was not, so it is logical to assume that the boards would need to be re-designed, then an updated board fitted to an older chassis, if it will fit at all.

Wiring from the board to the coupler sockets would also be required to make these operate.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Years ago I did look at the Hornby 31 to replace my super detailed lima variants, however they never looked right to me so in the end I remotored my lima ones instead. I thought about replacing them all with accurascale ones, but apart from not doing the liveries I want it would cost me in the region of 800+ quid, and I've made the mistake of buying just one to replace an old model before, that doesn't work! I expect these will end up being heavily discounted like 37s and 47s to shift the stock left after the initial new model sales. I'll sit on the fence and watch this one 😁

• Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, XChris said:

I have 3 AS ones on order through Accurascale/local shop, I will have to see what liveries and running numbers they announce if they do the right ones then I’ll buy them, if AS get round to them first I’ll buy there’s. Much the same as the 37’s. 

In my opinion the only people to blame for two new 31’s on the market is Hornby, if they had re-tooled and DCC Sound-ed there model we wouldn’t have had a gap which is now filled by two companies that obviously saw the gap in the market, makes you think what else from Hornby's range could go to another manufacturer…

Very much a failure of Hornby to not develop and improve an already decent model. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

Surprised, I rather thought it would be Heljan next to be dangling a new tooling Brush type 2.

Whatever, looks like my Airfix GMR bodies (now on their 3rd DIY mechanism arrangements, salvaged Hornby mazak rotters superseding HO Athearn PA1, which superseded twin Airfix mechs for that full stereo coffee grinder action) are going to be retired. Unless this newbie doesn't capture the appearance at least equally well...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Surprised, I rather thought it would be Heljan next to be dangling a new tooling Brush type 2,

Give them time, with all this duplication it's only a matter of time until triplication is in fashion 😉

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

This is actually quadruplication, as there are Hornby and Hornby Railroad models as well as Accurascale on the way.

I noticed only one livery sample shown, so these may be some way off.

No Skinhead variants, so you will need to go elsewhere if you want one.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, D9020 Nimbus said:

This is actually quadruplication, as there are Hornby and Hornby Railroad models as well as Accurascale on the way.

Technically yes, although I was only referring to new tooled options.

I didn't expect this announcement but I am quite happy about it. Unlike some, I don't see duplication as an issue, it gives us more choice in spec and liveries and I like the fact that we don't see every layout running the same locos pulling the same wagons. Variety is a good thing in this hobby.

I don't doubt these will be expensive though. Almost certainly £300+ for the deluxe version and I'd bet about £220 for DCC ready. It is likely that the Accurascale one will have sold out by the time this one hits the shelves anyway so it is unlikely to change many decisions for now.

I was waiting on a Railfreight redstripe one to be announced and that was teased in the Bachmann video so I'm hopeful for tomorrow's full reveal.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Chiltern Junction said:

I didn't expect this announcement but I am quite happy about it. Unlike some, I don't see duplication as an issue, it gives us more choice in spec and liveries and I like the fact that we don't see every layout running the same locos pulling the same wagons. Variety is a good thing in this hobby.

I get your point, but surely duplication does more to harm variety than tooling classes never done before?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, XChris said:

I don't agree.

If that were the case then Accurascale wouldn't have advertised half of what they have.

My personal view is that Hornby most definitely have rested on their laurels, but that was a culmination of several issues - mazak rot being one of them. I haven't dared look at my Hornby 31111 for maybe ten years and that is the worry I have with Hornby class 31s, and which is whyI have an Accurascale 31 on order. 

The big issue is that Accurascale have set a very high bar for competitors, and I really cannot see another company offering a like for like product for a matching price.  IIRC my D5544 is £267:00 and an equivalent Bachmann SX can never achieve a price of under £300. 

45 minutes ago, XChris said:

Hmm, well that certainly takes the 'blame Hornby for everything' approach to new heights...

40 minutes ago, richierich said:

Very much a failure of Hornby to not develop and improve an already decent model. 

Why? They already have a Railroad one filling a market gap that no-one else is interested in, and a fully depreciated higher spec model that many customers will buy if it's available and offered at the right price and livery(s). As for us the consumer, we have lots more choice than we did a couple of years ago. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

No 'meh' from me - I'm very excited at the prospect of a green Zimo fitted 31 with various bells and whistles. Bachmanns model will be beautifully finished in the way all Bachmann stock is and will run sweetly straight out of the box.

Only need one 31 and missed out on pre ordering from Accurascale (and I dont see the point of buying Accurascale from a dealer as its the same price as direct but without the benefit of the loyalty points).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Why? Just why? Accurascales is already in production. What a waste of tooling. Why not do the 40? KR has an atrocious  record of listening to customers and putting out sub par models, (anyone say fell?), a totally new 40 would have been an absolute killer for Bachmann. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 2

6 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

I get your point, but surely duplication does more to harm variety than tooling classes never done before?

I agree, it is always better to see new RTR models being announced and there are still so many gaps yet to be filled. But duplication is, and will continue to be, an unavoidable situation and I don't see it as damaging to our hobby as some would have you believe

• Agree 3

Just now, Hilux5972 said:

Why? Just why? Accurascales is already in production. What a waste of tooling. Why not do the 40? KR has an atrocious  record of listening to customers and putting out sub par models, (anyone say fell?), a totally new 40 would have been an absolute killer for Bachmann. 

And maybe there is one, about 12 - 18 months away given any development will take at least two years, the last release being a warm up of the existing tooling to keep the wolves at bay.

Maybe also Accurascale are working on one as well and keeping it under wraps until they have something to show.

Maybe they are also working on an 08, and maybe an early electric, maybe some steam as well.

We will know when it is time to know.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

I noticed only one livery sample shown, so these may be some way off

The models announced tomorrow will have the aim of being released in the following three months.

• Agree 5