Bachmann Class 30/31

AY Mod

I notice they’ve even duplicated one of the Accurascale efforts, 31407 in Mainline Blue. Question is whether they’ll be able to outsell Accurascale, given theirs is an AS exclusive and Bachmann’s will be more widely available. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Fredo said:

Hi, I have seen the video of the new auto decoupler Class 31’s and am looking forward to getting one. Have you considered a model of D5578 as new in Plan Electric Blue livery, also have you thought about the 31/0 Toffee Apples and the 31/1’s with disc headcodes. Thanks Fred

1960 - Blue Brush on the East Side..

That’s the one that I really want - was hoping it’d be in the Collectors Club today. Oh well, I’m sure someone will do it sooner or later! 

• Like 2

Just seen the street prices from one of the major retailers the prices will be very competative with Accurascale for the DCC version and Sound version obviously the deluxe version will be more expensive, and you only get the fan on the deluxe model unlike Accurascsle but i will still be buying Bachmann.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, richierich said:

Personally I was never quite happy with the profile of the cab front windows on the retooled Farish 31. Will be interesting to see the 4mm interpretation of their data. 

I agree about the Farish model and wasn't entirely convinced by the photos of unpainted 00 models posted yesterday.  However, the painted samples now shown look much more the thing to my eye.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, 40002 said:

Just seen the street prices from one of the major retailers the prices will be very competative with Accurascale for the DCC version and Sound version obviously the deluxe version will be more expensive, and you only get the fan on the deluxe model unlike Accurascsle but i will still be buying Bachmann.

For sound the Accurascale version wins hands down on price in my opinion, the speaker set-up looks far superior and I didn't see mention of Hall sensors for flange squeal in the Bachmann spec. And all for about the same as the high-street price of a sound fitted Bachmann 31. And that is before Accurascale give you points worth 3% back which makes if cheaper.

Roy

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

For sound the Accurascale version wins hands down on price in my opinion, the speaker set-up looks far superior and I didn't see mention of Hall sensors for flange squeal in the Bachmann spec. And all for about the same as the high-street price of a sound fitted Bachmann 31. And that is before Accurascale give you points worth 3% back which makes if cheaper.

Roy

Well I'm probably not going to get the sound version anyway, 31 435 is a better fit for my layout than Accurascale eth versions, and after my experience with the Accurascale Deltic which was an underdeveloped model in view, ok I know they attempting to fix the issues in the next run, I think its fair to say I have more confidence in Bachmann products than Accurascale.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Interesting .

so the basic one is available for £199….kernow apply standard % reduction is selling at £169.99 …matching the Irish one .

coincidence ? I think not. 

bachamnn is clever in bringing out two different numbers on the petrol ones , straight away a useful double act for their TEAS that are coming .

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well I have the Hornby super detailed golden Orchid 31. 

a Accurascale 31 Dutch livery on order, so might has well go the full hog, one Bachmann 31 rail fright red stripe ordered. £305. 95 for the sfx model will do nicely. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, russ p said:

I'd get really sick of that bloke shouting ease up everytime that uncoupling device is used. I hate to hear voices on dcc sound. Or other stupid sounds that aren't there in real life. My accurascale 37 is ruined by an AWS horn everytime it changes direction 

That was my immediate reaction to the uncoupling on the video, but the facility is still something I like, although I'll reserve judgment until I see how reliably it works in practice.  Compatible with types of tension lock?  I have my doubts.

As for sound, I don't think it is worth the extra money, but if I want the uncoupler, I have to buy one with a sound chip.  I realise however that there is a limit to how many different versions of each product they want to offer, but in principle I see no reason why the uncoupler needs sound, so it remains to be seen whether this feature will be introduced as an add-on to basic DCC.

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Dcc auto uncoupler puts a working slipcoach within reach.

Also loose banking.

I have a kit-built Lickey banker which doesn't need to couple to the rear of a train, for DC operation  The front coupling is an old style metal Triang tension lock without its hook.  By putting a piece of tinplate on top of that, the brake van hook doesn't engage either.   So to detach the banker all that is necessary is to have a separate controller for the banker feeding behind the train behind an isolating break in the rail where you want it to drop away.  It works as long as the banker is so geared that it runs fast enough to keep up with the train engine.

Without resorting to Bachmann's uncoupler, a motorised slip coach fitted with a similar coupling to the one I've used on Big Bertha could be controlled under standard DCC.

An issue with a slip coach and the Bachmann uncoupler is that they uncouple by setting back just enough to release the tension on the tension lock - looks correct on a loco but is more problematic on a slip coach - perhaps it needs a modified coupling more like the Triang Mk 2 coupling so it doesn't lock under tension?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Got to admit Redstripe railfreight with headcodes was missing from Accurascales range.

I like the idea of matching pairs, this is how I saw many of them in the 1980’s.

I'm hoping at some they do a version without the red stripe. Other liveries such as Coal Sector and Civil Engineers "Dutch" would nice too! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure why it always has to come down to "X is just copying Y" when it's quite clear these things very often happen out of pure chance.

Both AS & Bachmann have been working on the 31s for a few years now, just Bachmann decided to keep it generally quiet until now. When each started is really irrelevant at this point.

Both are happening, both are coming soon, both are priced competitively, and most likely both will be superb models. I imagine a few people will getting ones from both.

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Like 4
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Erixtar1992 said:

People are quick to assume its Bachmann doing the duplicating…

It doesnt really matter who started first.

To the customer its a mix of…

1. who gets there first

2. How good it is

3. how much it is

4. Is it the right livery / variant.

I think with the 37, 3 & 4 were the issue for Bachmann, tbh I think they've potentially got all 4 right on the 31… 

However the gold in the 31’s lies in the 1990’s liveries of the 31/1’s.. 31101/D5583/31116, 31146/7 etc.

Its been since 1995 that we have a refurb plain blue 31/4 that everyone knows and loves, in pairs.. and weve just about got there, with Accurascales 31432 and Bachmanns 31435, one with one without cantrail/headlamp

I dont think the 31 party will last as long as the 37 party but to win this fight its going to be first past the post with the right liveries, as the quality and price seem on glance evens, that was Hornbys mistake that made this possible.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 7

The idea that Bachmann should have pulled the plug on their version because of Accurascale is just completely absurd! They are a business not a charity or indeed with the latter case as some seem to think, a best mate who you owe a favour to.

Also nobody is forcing anyone to give up their pre-orders with the latter! 

If a manufacturer brings out a particular loco or item of rolling stock I want (and for a fairly reasonable price) then I am more than happy to make that purchase, irrespective of who that may be.

Anyhow, for the moment the pre-owned Hornby versions I currently have in my possession will have to do but I will be watching this space!

Edited by Richard RK3
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

Will I be cancelling my AS order? No, Bachmann haven't announced the variants I have coming from that stable, which are perfect for the ECS workings I used to watch running past my aunts at Northfield and used to see pottering around the Black Country on engineering trains all the time.

RF Red Stripe and Petroleum sector though...Those are the ones I wished AS had announced. Thank you Bachmann, they'll do very nicely indeed!

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Out of interest, where were Railfreight red stripe refurb 31/1s mostly based?

I don’t think the western or southern or Scotland got any -

Startford , March , Bescot , Warrington, immingham, Wigan I think 

Edited by rob D2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

My best memory of them was when the 155’s were taken out of service for doors opening at speed…

That put railfreight 31/1’s on Blackpool, Southport, Blackburn, Oldham loops for a summer until a longer term solution was found in 31/4’s, then 37/4’s, as it became apparent 142’s needed rebuilding, 153’s converting and 158’s running late.

But 31/1’s covered a very wide area on freight.. put a dot on the map in Bescot.. draw a line to Carlilse, Immingham, Fens, Wales…

often used on loco hauled in summers, civ engs, AC power off drags  they did it all, mixed in with blue, railfreight and sub sector 31’s.. 

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 3

7 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

They were everywhere in the late 80’s from what I remember, but based at Stratford, Bescot, Crewe, Tinsley, Immingham and Thornaby mainly…

• Informative/Useful 2

7 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Bescot was awash with 31s, in every colour under the sun. Used to see a lot of them from further afield around here as well.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, richierich said:

I didn’t think Bachmann (and others) had sufficient clearance to the bogie frame side / and or brake / suspension detail gets in the way of EM or P4 wheelsets?

Not so, all Bachmann diesels that I've converted to P4 were fairly straightforward.