Bachmann Class 30/31

AY Mod

4 hours ago, andyman7 said:

Hmm, well that certainly takes the 'blame Hornby for everything' approach to new heights...

Why? They already have a Railroad one filling a market gap that no-one else is interested in, and a fully depreciated higher spec model that many customers will buy if it's available and offered at the right price and livery(s). As for us the consumer, we have lots more choice than we did a couple of years ago. 

I dont think they've gotten close to offering a Class 31 at the right price for years with the way vast numbers of releases end up in the bargain bin

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, GenericRMWebUsername said:

Neat models! I'm intrigued by the automatic uncoupling system. .... etc, etc....

.....If it works and is reliable, I think this feature will become a nice selling point for Bachmann. Other manufacturers are going to race to include something like this. It's the sort of feature that I think could become non-negotiable for certain modelers. 

Kudos to Bachmann for investing in this. It's these sort of features that will give the model an edge. 

As has been pointed out, this DCC feature has been around for at least a decade in other markets.

This is just the first time a British outline RTR model has included it.....finally.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I never understand how people are surprised or annoyed by duplication.

There is a common wishlist that the manufacturers look at. Manufacturers who aren't allowed to reveal to each other what they are working on. And in the last couple of years it's frowned upon to declare it unless it's on the verge or release. It's like if I gave everyone a shopping list and complained you all came back with eggs. What do you expect to happen? And the idea that certain locomotives belong to certain companies is also ridiculous. Best model wins, end of. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

The national media loves scare stories and a few weeks back took hold of a couple of stories with their usual frenzy and their exaggeration couldn't be further from the truth. (As has been the case for many yrs on various subjects) wouldn't it be crazy if Hornby announced a 31 retool as well.. with smoke and working windscreen wipers lol. 

The hobby is alive and burgeoning!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Well i dont think weve seen a Finsbury Park white stripe 31 for some time so maybe this could be on the cards tomoro.....in fact was it Lima who last did a white striper?  Sure Hornby never produced one.

1 hour ago, ThaneofFife said:

Well i dont think weve seen a Finsbury Park white stripe 31 for some time so maybe this could be on the cards tomoro.....in fact was it Lima who last did a white striper?  Sure Hornby never produced one.

Accurascale are doing 31409 with white stripe. 

https://www.accurascale.com/products/br-brush-ee-type-2-class-31-locomotive-br-blue-white-stripe-31409

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, richierich said:

I didn’t think Bachmann (and others) had sufficient clearance to the bogie frame side / and or brake / suspension detail gets in the way of EM or P4 wheelsets?

Depends on a few factors, not least of which is the road one goes down in achieving the alteration.

Mike.

• Agree 1

Love the auto coupler feature - really intrigued to see how it looks and performs! I am preparing myself for the price though. Is it going to break the £400 RRP?! We should always applaud manufacturer innovation in the hobby. I would love to see it most on future shunters, at exhibition layouts I think it would be most interesting!

Hope that 31405 Mappa Mundi is on Bachmann's to do list!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ajax50046 said:

Love the auto coupler feature - really intrigued to see how it looks and performs! I am preparing myself for the price though. Is it going to break the £400 RRP?! We should always applaud manufacturer innovation in the hobby. I would love to see it most on future shunters, at exhibition layouts I think it would be most interesting!

Hope that 31405 Mappa Mundi is on Bachmann's to do list!

£400 now I wouldn’t be surprised, but £100 more for tinted windows and a auto uncoupling is a lot, set against the Accurascale model. Especially If both models are has good as their preproduction samples seem to indicate. I’ve never been brand loyal so if the pricing is closer I’d be willing to buy a model depending on livery. I suppose the coming announcement will be the deal breaker in a few minutes. 

• RMweb Gold

If manufacturers can expect an roi on duplication wars on classes such as a 31, then maybe the costs/risks/margins arent as great as we think?

so whats left to be re-duplicated of the mainstream 1980’s era classes that have been tooled this century already..

08,26/27/33/40,58

and still no 73/9.

• Agree 3

Hi, I have seen the video of the new auto decoupler Class 31’s and am looking forward to getting one. Have you considered a model of D5578 as new in Plan Electric Blue livery, also have you thought about the 31/0 Toffee Apples and the 31/1’s with disc headcodes. Thanks Fred

1960 - Blue Brush on the East Side..

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, farren said:

I’ve never been brand loyal so if the pricing is closer I’d be willing to buy a model depending on livery. I suppose the coming announcement will be the deal breaker in a few minutes. 

It would make sense for Bachmann to prioritise liveries and tooling details that are not included in Accurascale's first batch of locos - I presume Bachmann has known what they are for enough time to have adjusted its first batch of models accordingly, if it so desired.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

If manufacturers can expect an roi on duplication wars on classes such as a 31, then maybe the costs/risks/margins arent as great as we think?

I think a lot of it might be a case of finding out what each other are doing a little too late perhaps? Bachmann will probably have already been financially committed when they found out about the AS31.

• RMweb Gold

It’s a nice model, but it came too late for me having preordered 3 Accurascale ones.

The main issue I see is the prismatic windscreen glazing, followed by the sugarcube speaker arrangement and the RRP, though retailer discounts will help level the playing field a little.

It looks like this will hit the shops before the 25 so that is a little disappointing if true.

• Like 1

I don’t quite understand the duplication of models in the same livery but different running numbers. If people want different running numbers they will just renumber them won’t they?!? Aren’t Bachmann utilising a manufacturing slot that could be better used to provide different liveries?

Fair play on the standard DCC price though. That is going toe to toe with Accurascale. Shame they didn’t do that with the class 37…

4 minutes ago, IRC said:

I don’t quite understand the duplication of models in the same livery but different running numbers. If people want different running numbers they will just renumber them won’t they?!? Aren’t Bachmann utilising a manufacturing slot that could be better used to provide different liveries?

Fair play on the standard DCC price though. That is going toe to toe with Accurascale. Shame they didn’t do that with the class 37…

But it's good for people who don't want to or unable to renumber they can have a pair of individual locos straight out of the box.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, IRC said:

It’s quite a good way of splitting the run of a particular livery as it’s presumably only the printed details that differ. 

Edited by 97406
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, 97406 said:

It’s quite a good way of splitting the run of a particular livery as it’s presumably only the printed details that differ. 

Indeed. It will also encourage retailers to order more models than they might with only one number. Customers might be after one or the other, especially if they were allocated to different regions in the period modelled, although looking at BR Blue 31123 and 31293 for example, the first was a WR engine from 1976 to 1987 and the second WR allocated from 1972 to 1978.

Edited by brushman47544
add info

• RMweb Gold

I'd get really sick of that bloke shouting ease up everytime that uncoupling device is used. I hate to hear voices on dcc sound. Or other stupid sounds that aren't there in real life. My accurascale 37 is ruined by an AWS horn everytime it changes direction 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

26 minutes ago, IRC said:

If what I've been told is correct (and I have no reason to doubt my source) they still produce the same number of locos, but do half with one number and half with the other, so other than switching some of the tampo printing setup, there's a negligable impact on manufacturing slots.

It's why we've seen 'A' suffix runs of recent releases so close behind the initial releases in the last year or so, like the Farish 158s and 90s.

Jo

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

If what I've been told is correct (and I have no reason to doubt my source) they still produce the same number of locos, but do half with one number and half with the other, so other than switching some of the tampo printing setup, there's a negligable impact on manufacturing slots.

It's why we've seen 'A' suffix runs of recent releases so close behind the initial releases in the last year or so, like the Farish 158s and 90s.

Jo

That makes sense. Thanks.

• Agree 1