Bachmann Class 30/31

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

As for blue pre-TOPS models, the only instances of these that seem to be done are for those classes which didn't make it to TOPS numbers — hydraulics, Claytons etc. Although Heljan have done some OO class 27s — often in rather unusual variants of blue livery.

Unless you look at the AS range and SLW, we are catered for with Deltic, Class 31, Class 37 all AS and Class 25 from SLW it just seems Bachmann don’t like this variant. If like me and I am sure there are plenty of others that do model the late Green/Blue pre TOPS that really would buy if the right models were available from Bachmann

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Wot?

No green with  a small yella panel.

Well I am going shout and stomp around until they do one in the livery I want!!!!

Or I will see if I still have a pot of yellow paint.

Ironically the lack of SYP led me to pre order from Accurascale the previously sold out D5615 (green SYP) which suddenly became available again on their site yesterday afternoon. 

Edited by MikeParkin65
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Krieghoff said:

Well i have ordered three of these Bachmann 31's today from Rails and i have several 31's on order from Accurascale. I will always support any company that delivers excellent models and in the liveries i like and want. We should celebrate the fact that we can. As ive said previously, pushing the boundaries of fidelity (and in the case of the auto uncoupler on the Bachmann 31), we are seeing the bar being raised yet again. It can only be for the benefit of us all as modellers.

well done to Bachmann. All credit where its due.  

Totally agree with this, things are improving all the time. A far cry from some of Hornbys 20+ year old tooling they still hang on to. Yes have pre ordered both Accurascale and Bachmann versions.

14 hours ago, Trainshed Terry said:

OK. Where is the skinhead version.

Terry/

'ere tis

'ere tis.jpg

Hmm - looks like a bit of mazak distortion there too 😬

Edited by Southernman46
  • Funny 1

On 07/02/2024 at 10:42, brushman47544 said:

Indeed. It will also encourage retailers to order more models than they might with only one number. Customers might be after one or the other, especially if they were allocated to different regions in the period modelled, although looking at BR Blue 31123 and 31293 for example, the first was a WR engine from 1976 to 1987 and the second WR allocated from 1972 to 1978.

For the pedants.... Note that in the condition offered (plated over steps/boiler filler/boiler port, plated over nose end doors, yellow safety clips on battery boxes), this blue pair are quite limited on time periods for when they'd run together.

31123 was still steam heat fitted (boiler port present) until at least 1981. Hard to tell when the battery box safety clips were added, but it certainly had them by 1983. It did remain in un-refurbished condition for some time though, until at least 1990 before receiving an orange cantrail stripe. Possibly 1981 - 1990 for this one. 

31293 was still steam heat fitted (boiler port present) until sometime in 1984. During 1985 it had a bump, and eventually reemerged refurbished condition without buffer beam cowling. So this model is only suitable for about a year in it's modelled condition, 1984 - 1985.

Edited by Mophead45143
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, XChris said:

No Bachmann 31’s for me, unfortunately the Privatisation era has been forgotten, no DCR or modern mainline Pres models means no take up from me.

They might think that the more recent 31s have been well catered for by AS. The only present day (ish, since it's now been repainted) 37 they have done since the new tooling was the Kernow exclusive 418, but again, AS had done loads of present day/recent ones.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 40002 said:

Well just watched the Batman update as it says on the subtitles yes 31 435 is perfect for my proposed layout so I will be purchasing one of those. 

Does it come in a twin pack with Robin? 😆

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Southernman46 said:

'ere tis.jpg

Hmm - looks like a bit of mazak distortion there too 😬

Right model but wrong livery, Green no SYWP. 

Edited by Trainshed Terry
Spelling Error
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

afaik theres only one 31 run on the mainline for the past few years, 31128 and Accurascales already listed it.

any others ?

31128 has been the long standing one, obviously before that you had the DCR pair of 31452 & 31601. 31270 in its Reggie Railways livery as per current. You also had BR green 31190 on for some time, as well as fragonset livery for various running numbers, bright Wessex pink on 601, 31454 in its IC colours. 31110 traction magazine if you want to go closer to 2000.

Also of course various Yellow examples of course 31105/285 are being done by AS but was thinking 233/465/602 might have snuck in with Bachmann.

it could be just me being upset about there not being one for me, but I’m sure AS and Bachmann will announce more.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Wot?

No green with  a small yella panel.

Well I am going shout and stomp around until they do one in the livery I want!!!!

Or I will see if I still have a pot of yellow paint.

My thoughts exactly. 

Plus I do wish both Bachmann and Hornby would produce at least one banger blue loco (any class ! ) with pre tops numbers and 4 character headcodes 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

8 hours ago, russ p said:

I'd get really sick of that bloke shouting ease up everytime that uncoupling device is used. I hate to hear voices on dcc sound. Or other stupid sounds that aren't there in real life. My accurascale 37 is ruined by an AWS horn everytime it changes direction 

It's a classic Zimo  function usually found on various Diesel shunter projects . (F22/23 ) so will probably be left as a separate function rather than accompany the uncoupling function ....I hope ! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Albie the plumber said:

My thoughts exactly. 

Plus I do wish both Bachmann and Hornby would produce at least one banger blue loco (any class ! ) with pre tops numbers and 4 character headcodes 

Anything wrong with Accurascale ?

https://www.accurascale.com/collections/brush-type-2-class-30-31/products/br-brush-ee-type-2-class-31-locomotive-br-blue-5544

https://www.accurascale.com/collections/class-37/products/class-37-br-blue-pre-tops-d6992

https://www.accurascale.com/collections/class-50/products/br-class-50-br-blue-d423

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Basically what I posted, i really like the looks of this one but just can’t justify any where as AS do the key models for me

So can anyone clarify, of the two new class 31 models coming from AS & Bachmann are either or both going to have prototypical smaller centre wheel sizes and associated drive system, i.e. A1A-A1A or will they be all wheel pick up and drive.

Thanks for your reply's in advance.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mophead45143 said:

For the pedants.... Note that in the condition offered (plated over steps/boiler filler/boiler port, plated over nose end doors, yellow safety clips on battery boxes), this blue pair are quite limited on time periods for when they'd run together.

31123 was still steam heat fitted (boiler port present) until at least 1981. Hard to tell when the battery box safety clips were added, but it certainly had them by 1983. It did remain in refurbished condition for some time though, until at least 1990 before receiving an orange cantrail stripe. Possibly 1981 - 1990 for this one. 

31293 was still steam heat fitted (boiler port present) until sometime in 1984. During 1985 it had a bump, and eventually reemerged refurbished condition without buffer beam cowling. So this model is only suitable for about a year in it's modelled condition, 1984 - 1985.

I don’t care about being able to run them together, I would just want one that was suitable for late 70s to early 80s WR, operating services such as this from Robert Carroll’s photos on Flickr. So 31123 would be just about okay though better if the yellow clips weren’t there. Still undecided though as my preference is still OC’s 31135 with wrap round yellow cabs.

31123_Sonning_23-8-78

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, D7100 said:

So can anyone clarify, of the two new class 31 models coming from AS & Bachmann are either or both going to have prototypical smaller centre wheel sizes and associated drive system, i.e. A1A-A1A or will they be all wheel pick up and drive.

Thanks for your reply's in advance.

Accurascale’s is A1A-A1A, Bachmann’s is, for some strange reason, all wheel drive.

Not seen wheel sizes quoted. 

Edit: Accurascale’s is still all wheel pick-up. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

I don’t care about being able to run them together, I would just want one that was suitable for late 70s to early 80s WR, operating services such as this from Robert Carroll’s photos on Flickr. So 31123 would be just about okay though better if the yellow clips weren’t there. Still undecided though as my preference is still OC’s 31135 with wrap round yellow cabs.

31123_Sonning_23-8-78

would the yellow clips not generally be covered in grot anyway?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Absolutely nothing at all with AS .

I have a pre TOPS (D5544) version on order with them and if it's as good as D6703 that  I acquired recently,  then we're in for a real treat .

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Albie the plumber said:

Absolutely nothing at all with AS .

I have a pre TOPS (D5544) version on order with them and if it's as good as D6703 that  I acquired recently,  then we're in for a real treat .

Accurascale’s D5544 does not have its D, so therefore post late 1968 at least. 

Bachmann’s D5564 looks very good indeed - also available with class 30 (Mirrless) sound file - I wonder whether these will make it into the shops before Accurascale’s class 30s arrive. 

11 minutes ago, MidlandRed said:

Accurascale’s D5544 does not have its D, so therefore post late 1968 at least. 

Bachmann’s D5564 looks very good indeed - also available with class 30 (Mirrless) sound file - I wonder whether these will make it into the shops before Accurascale’s class 30s arrive. 

I model the period between 1969 and 1972 with dallops of modellers license liberally spread so won't worry too much about the D prefix 

I can always call on my old friend. The bottle of T cut  to take care of that .

As for delivery dates ... who knows .

It's like predicting the British weather 🙄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Albie the plumber said:

I model the period between 1969 and 1972 with dallops of modellers license liberally spread so won't worry too much about the D prefix 

I can always call on my old friend. The bottle of T cut  to take care of that .

As for delivery dates ... who knows .

It's like predicting the British weather 🙄

I’m slightly doing a slightly earlier period so need the D!! I did think about buying 5544 and completely renumbering it but went for the very transitional D5803 (green, fye, double arrows) instead. 

Agreed re the delivery schedules!! 

13 hours ago, Covkid said:

To be fair to Bachmann 31407 was a unique liveried loco when it was repainted Mainline Freight blue, and the silver embellishments really made it an attractive loco. Why would any manufacturer pass up the opportunity especially as IIRC Mainline Freight also repainted an engineers saloon to match.  

I am hoping that Bachmann release said saloon in this livery to go with my Accurascale 31407. I have already bought the EWS saloon to go with 31466.

• Like 1