New Palvan announced

Kris

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

My Parkside pair are already poised on Bachmann van chassis (for consistency of operation all my vans are shod thus), but this is a welcome announcement and I look forward to adding a couple to the fleet when they are released.

• Like 4

Very welcome news. Looking at the variants that they are suggesting, I'll be in for a few.

And what is also good, is that Bachmann now recognise that some modelers need a little more time to save up between announcement (of all new tooling) and availability and that the quarterly news was often not enough time for people to do so. (Admittedly a van is not normally something that will break the bank, however items at the other end of the scale like a refurbished 4-CEP probably sunk a few hearts on how were they going to find the funds for it quickly).

Details will be out in May but you can bet Johnny Walker will be amoung them.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Many congratulations to Bachmann on this announcement and we wish them every success with the project.

The Palvan has been (generally) very High Polling within The 00 Wishlist Poll and was the 'most wanted' vehicle in the Freight Stock: 1948-1963 category in 2019 and 2022 (which was the last Poll to run until we run again around Christmas this year).

I can't speak for my colleagues, but I personally will have some!👍

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

Many congratulations to Bachmann on this announcement and we wish them every success with the project.

The Palvan has been (generally) very High Polling within The 00 Wishlist Poll and was the 'most wanted' vehicle in the Freight Stock: 1948-1963 category in 2019 and 2022 (which was the last Poll to run until we run again around Christmas this year).

I can't speak for my colleagues, but I personally will have some!👍

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

Me too. 

I only recently completed two Parkside examples, but a few more would be welcome here.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Oh happy day - at last !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and an 8-shoe chassis that we can do something with ................................

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 3

Nice. I'll have a couple of the 8 shoe ones (as the Parkside chassis is a pig to convert) but my other 6 are safe I think. 

I'm guessing RRP will be somewhere around the Vanwide and Presflo. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Another nail in the coffin of kit building.

Mike.

Well they've had almost 25 years' worth of sales out of the Parkside tooling so hardly a major shock it has finally been 'duplicated'. Some of us are crap at building kits so bravo Bachmann.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Well they've had almost 25 years' worth of sales out of the Parkside tooling so hardly a major shock it has finally been 'duplicated'. Some of us are crap at building kits so bravo Bachmann.

It doesn't matter if you are crap at building kits, enjoying building kits is the general idea isn't it?

Most of can't build a kit to the standard of a RTR model, but, without seeing it I can guarantee the Bachmann underframe will be suspect in a few places.

I hope we're not turning into a nation of shake the box modellers.

Mike.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

It doesn't matter if you are crap at building kits, enjoying building kits is the general idea isn't it?

Most of can't build a kit to the standard of a RTR model, but, without seeing it I can guarantee the Bachmann underframe will be suspect in a few places.

I hope we're not turning into a nation of shake the box modellers.

Mike.

Just because an RTR version will be available doesn't mean people will stop buying the kits, folk who enjoy building them, will keep building them.  Folk who don't enjoy building kits most probably will not have bought the kit version anyway.

• Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Well, I've built an awful lot of kits in my time and come to the conclusion that no, for me personally building layouts is what I really enjoy.

Similarly, on the underframe issue, I can pretty much guarantee that a modern Bachmann offering will be a sharper and better moulded effort than an aged and rounded Parkside offering.  A personal viewpoint again, but if I want to start correcting things I'd prefer the RTR equivalent as a stepping off point.

Now, if there were plastic kits of similar quality to modern plastic RTR...

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

modern Bachmann offering will be a sharper and better moulded effort than an aged and rounded Parkside offering

Agreed.

image.png

• Like 18

26 minutes ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

Well, I've built an awful lot of kits in my time and come to the conclusion that no, for me personally building layouts is what I really enjoy.

Similarly, on the underframe issue, I can pretty much guarantee that a modern Bachmann offering will be a sharper and better moulded effort than an aged and rounded Parkside offering.  A personal viewpoint again, but if I want to start correcting things I'd prefer the RTR equivalent as a stepping off point.

Now, if there were plastic kits of similar quality to modern plastic RTR...

I have several Bachmann Vanwides, and I think the body and chassis mouldings are as good as you will get, within the compromise of 16.5 mm gauge track.  I have no reason to believe the Palvan will not be to a similar standard to the Vanwide. 

Just surprised Bachmann have not announced it at the Scottish or Ally Pally shows.   

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Covkid said:

Just surprised Bachmann have not announced it at the Scottish or Ally Pally shows.   

Presuambly those initial versions have only just arrived. Or alternatively they have done an internal appraisal of their quarterly announcements and decided after all the flak that has been flying around over the 31 staying silent until the point of release almost is not good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Another nail in the coffin of kit building.

Mike.

Ohh I dunno, given the likely cost compared to the Parkside kit  ( having built several) I think I’ll stick to the kits, especially now they come with transfers etc.

I’ve  got several in the stash, but if I hadn’t I must admit I’d probably go for the Baccy job.

Be interesting to see how much they are priced at.

Edited by BlackRat
  • Like 3

I must admit I've enjoyed building a slew of the Parkside kit of these over the years, chassis variations left right and centre. This was probably the first wagon kit I built. I'm glad to see an RTR model on the horizon though, and will be only too glad to extend the fleet a bit.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Covkid said:

This is an announcement for the Ally Pally show which starts today. See news item on Bachmann website.

Andrew 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1