New Palvan announced

Kris

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Most of can't build a kit to the standard of a RTR model, but, without seeing it I can guarantee the Bachmann underframe will be suspect in a few places.

Parkside underframes were never their strong point and some of them really aren't very good.  Rtr now comfortably outclasses them, which is a complete reversal of the situation when I was a lad building Ratio and Slaters wagons.  I think this is a pity, as plastic wagons are a simple route into model building and easy to detail and modify.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, NXEA! said:

Very nice. For those like me that don’t know that much about wagons I assume you would find these anywhere across the UK? 

Yes, all over the UK. From memory the lifespan of these was quite short.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, NXEA! said:

Very nice. For those like me that don’t know that much about wagons I assume you would find these anywhere across the UK? 

Everywhere but usually on specific traffic flows. Port Sunlight for Lever Bros, one of the either dog food or biscuit factories I think, and whatever was being loaded at Kirkcudbright, probably cheese or some other dairy. I also found a photo some time ago of a long line of them somewhere in mid Wales waiting to be loaded with bagged peat. 

On wagons and kit building generally, there were way more variations in the real thing that  RTR has ever covered, even where they've done different versions of a particular diagram. I think I've found 12 'as built' variations in the BR Standard (sic) 12 ton van so far and that's without starting on replacement wheels buffers and axleboxes. Some of the earlier Parkside chassis are showing their age but they're dead easy to upgrade with different axleboxes and etched brake levers, and in  some of the kits you get a spare one too :-)

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

There's nothing to stop anyone building the kit if they want a lower price or a different finish so there's no straw man needed. I can see several areas where the model is better than the it anyway but people can make their own choices.

I don’t doubt the Bachmann model will be better, but will it be better enough to have me shelling out £120 to replace my three Parkside ones?  I do doubt that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

What's wrong with that, is it going to get thrown away because of the arrival of the Bachmann version?, if so, throw it my way!

Mike.

I suppose it's "The Emperor's New Clothes" syndrome.

"Look at this brand new shiny thing, so much better than the perfectly good shiny thing I had last week!". You just need to look on eBay when something is announced to see how many people do trade in their older models to fund the new ones even if it is only a slight improvement.

Personally I'm more likely to add to rather than replace. Especially if Bachmann do interesting liveries rather than just standard ones.

Return To Port Sunlight? I'll buy any with that on.

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brpalvan/e3875d20f

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Interesting. I have to confess that I'd never heard of a Palvan before. I'm not sure whether, realistically, one would have found its way into rural East Anglia very shortly after being built, but I suppose there's a viable Rule 1 scenario whereby one was attached to a regular fruit train simply to make up the numbers. 🙂

• Like 1

Good choice, I for one hate detailing 8 shoe underframes, all those safety loops and such like. However who I wonder remembers the K's offering from the 1960's, three tons of solid whitemetal, but it's all we had Harry!

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Obadiah said:

Good choice, I for one hate detailing 8 shoe underframes, all those safety loops and such like. However who I wonder remembers the K's offering from the 1960's, three tons of solid whitemetal, but it's all we had Harry!

It's tedious for sure, and uses up valuable modelling time, I for one put myself through the pain of safety loops purely for cosmetic purposes as they can be seen, mine will never be as good as Bachmanns but I'm not ditching all my model Palvans just because there's a new kid on the block. 

I've made jigs to assist in the various shapes and sizes required but I'd be over the moon if pre bent ones were made available by somebody with the wherewithall to do it, until then I shall continue with my suffering!

Mike.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Obadiah said:

I've still a few of those left to build!

The palvan was never on my list as a model to build but being in RTR, I can get a few to add my already nice range of mixed BR (and BR coloured) vans.

I did recently complete 7 Cambrian kits of SECR types (in SECR colours). All but 1 are now done by Rapido and Bachmann. And I have all the Bachmann/Rapido models, but this still did not stop buying and building Cambrian versions. Are they equal to the RTR offerings? No. Are they cheaper, yes, even with paint transfers etc, I get 2 kits done for the price of 1 RTR wagon. Can they run next to each other or with each other? yes they can. I also complete my kits with full working link couplings something few RTR ones have.

• Like 2

On 16/03/2024 at 15:55, MarkSG said:

Interesting. I have to confess that I'd never heard of a Palvan before. I'm not sure whether, realistically, one would have found its way into rural East Anglia very shortly after being built, but I suppose there's a viable Rule 1 scenario whereby one was attached to a regular fruit train simply to make up the numbers. 🙂

Tended to be used in block trains - until it was discovered that the diagonally opposite, very heavy doors made them unstable at speed, and they bounced off the track!

Cue a mandatory speed limit; experiments in modified suspension; and eventual sale to the Army.

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

26 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

mine will never be as good as Bachmanns but I'm not ditching all my model Palvans just because there's a new kid on the block.

Same. I'll buy a couple to supplement mine, and the existing ones might even get pushed up the upgrade queue a bit to get etched brakegear, but I don't understand the "must replace" mindset unless the original was poor to start with.

I did replace my 30 yr old Mainline/MJT/scratch Mk1 TPO with the Bachmann one but theirs had all the windows in line and the same size. I also managed to not buy any LNER 12 ton vans or LMS brake vans until they were in the bargain bin at a price which would have been rude to ignore. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

49 minutes ago, Obadiah said:

You may be disappointed. If it's supplied like the Vanwide, which has 8 underframe safety hoops and 4 brake linkage parts for fitting by the purchaser. I'd certainly had enough after fitting these with magnifying glasses, to my three Vanwides. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, rembrow said:

You may be disappointed. If it's supplied like the Vanwide, which has 8 underframe safety hoops and 4 brake linkage parts for fitting by the purchaser. I'd certainly had enough after fitting these with magnifying glasses, to my three Vanwides. 

Yer big softy!!!

Wait until you've bent them up from brass wire and then fitted them to a Parkside kit!!

Mike.

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, MarkSG said:

Exactly the same scenario I’m pondering! I’ll have a trawl through some of the various books I’ve got tonight. 

• Like 1

Hi, looking forward to the Pallet vans I saw at Alexander Palace today. Have you considered doing the PALSHOCVAN‘s at some point? Thanks Fred

Diag.1/219 No.B80703

Edited by Fredo
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Obadiah said:

However who I wonder remembers the K's offering from the 1960's, three tons of solid whitemetal, but it's all we had Harry!

Still got a K's one upstairs, somewhere, that I made something over 45 years ago as a replica of one that arrived on the Bluebell Railway in Port of London markings.  Yes, you're right, it's very, very heavy and also has no floor (not that the latter makes any odds unless you pick the model up).

Pete T.

• Like 4